Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #41
JMD

Quote:
Originally posted by xoopx+Dec 27 2004, 06:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (xoopx @ Dec 27 2004, 06:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-UberDave@Dec 27 2004, 04:35 PM
Nooooooooooooo! I'm staying with family at the mo and I won't be able to try this for a few days! I rember that the PS version sucked but i'm definetly gonna try athis on my PC when I get back. I'll let ya know what I think then.
there goes a guy who's heading for a disappointment!
i wouldnt waste the bandwidth to try the pc version, its the same as the psx one. its from the days when a psx was better than most p.c's anyway [/b][/quote]
Wow. I respectfully do not agree with that statement at all.

The PSx version was a watered down version because of no keyboard control.

One of the main themes of this game was urban squad gorilla warfare which it pulled off extremely well.

Yes the levels were devilishly hard but you had to plan and use every tool at your disposal such as split up your squad, use the appropriate weapons and the city itself as a shield. One of the big three PC games mags at the time, "Computer Games & Strategy Plus" said: This is not only a great game but it could be thee game!

Best

Old 05-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #42
JMD

Quote:
Originally posted by xoopx+Dec 27 2004, 06:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (xoopx @ Dec 27 2004, 06:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-UberDave@Dec 27 2004, 04:35 PM
Nooooooooooooo! I'm staying with family at the mo and I won't be able to try this for a few days! I rember that the PS version sucked but i'm definetly gonna try athis on my PC when I get back. I'll let ya know what I think then.
there goes a guy who's heading for a disappointment!
i wouldnt waste the bandwidth to try the pc version, its the same as the psx one. its from the days when a psx was better than most p.c's anyway[/b][/quote]
Wow. I respectfully do not agree with that statement at all.

The PSx version was a watered down version because of no keyboard control.

One of the main themes of this game was urban squad gorilla warfare which it pulled off extremely well.

Yes the levels were devilishly hard but you had to plan and use every tool at your disposal such as split up your squad, use the appropriate weapons and the city itself as a shield. One of the big three PC games mags at the time, "Computer Games & Strategy Plus" said: This is not only a great game but it could be thee game!

Best

JMD

Old 06-06-2005, 08:43 AM   #43
WarCheese

This game is one of the best. After all these times, I still keep it around in my computer. There are a lot of... getting used to, when moving from Syndicate to Syndicate Wars. Just stick with it. It's an acquired taste kinda game.

By the way, you can slow down the game by pressing "shift -" key. You don't need more slow... In fact, I am running this game with a P4 straight out of the box...

Cheers.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:16 PM   #44
Negativeions

After having read some peoples' reviews about how the original syndicate was better I "obtained" the syndicate plus CD and finally got it to work on XP and man... this game is nowhere near as good as Syndicate Wars. The sprites and buildings look crisper but there's like 3 frames of animation per sprite, it's pretty bad. The music and sound effects aren't nearly as good as Wars and I noticed that the agents don't run when you double click. Wars just has a much darker feel to it and a better storyline. And I think whoever said that most reviewers acted like the high rez button didn't exist was right. You have to compare the original syndicate with Syndicate Wars in HIGH REZ. For all the good things about Syndicate Wars you can't say that crappy sprites are unforgiveable. Like, wtf? It's just too bad most systems couldn't handle it very well at the time. The only think I liked better in the original Syndicate was the crisper sprites obviously and the aquasition of ammo. Ammo was eliminated in Wars for some reason. It ads another element of strategy and should be there...

By the way if you want Syndicate, Syndicate Wars or any old DOS games that use dos4gw.exe to work on XP just go here http://dos32a.sourceforge.net/. Rename dos32a.exe to dos4gw.exe, replace the old one with the new one and bam, you got yourself win32 compatibility. If something isn't working right, then use DOSBox (DOS emulator) as well as dos32a and everything should work albiet possibly too slow depending on your system.

Once again the mandatory *meep* you EA suits, you pieces of muck... and BRING BACK THE SYNDICATE!.... which most likely, dispite all our *meep*en god damn cries, will go on deaf ears of course. If EA won't do it why not do it ourselves. If they complain about their precious IP then just *meep* em to hell. Just *meep* em... I'd love to do some kind of remake project. If anyone knows anyone who is interested e-mail me @ negativeions101@yahoo.ca
Hell, how about a Bring back the syndicate campaign for a real sequel!? If we can get just one bastard from the gaming press to mention something, someone will notice. It's time somebody did something about 10 years of denying the world another Syndicate! Who's with me? ....
Ya, because a rarely visited Abandonia forum is the perfect place for recruitment...

Old 06-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #45
Negativeions

Another thing I forgot to mention was that, when playing the original Syndicate I found it really annoying that I couldn't rotate to see behind a wall or building.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:14 AM   #46

By the way if you want Syndicate, Syndicate Wars or any old DOS games that use dos4gw.exe to work on XP just go here http://dos32a.sourceforge.net/. Rename dos32a.exe to dos4gw.exe, replace the old one with the new one and bam, you got yourself win32 compatibility.

I tried this but for some odd reason my system would not allow me to move or delete the original dos4gw from the SWARS folder because it said it was being used by another person or program? Huh?
This was right after boot up with nothing else running.
Sorry, I know it is something simple but what am I missing.

Best

JMD

Old 07-06-2005, 03:22 AM   #47
Almost running perfect BUT......

HELP

I followed the advise here and I am so close but still not there!.

First using the Dosbox utility:

I type PLAY in the Dosbox window. I then tap the CTRL-F12 key a few times and the opening starts with the Bullfrog logo and opening movie running perfectly with full sound!
It still gives me a chill.
The menu screens load perfectly and with all the sounds.
I then load a mission and all the sounds and music play as I remember and they sound so sweet. Even the mood music tracks from the CD are playing.
Everything is fine except the game which is so SLOW it is totally un playable. AHHHH!

I have an AMD 2000 with 1 Gig Ram and a ATI X 800XL with 256 mg.

OK I figure from my older gaming days that I will instead run Dosbox in full screen mode which should yield better performance.
Much to my surprise it is worse. The intro is now a bit choppy and the game is even slower.

OK I next try it using VDM Sound while running XP:

I down load VDM Sound, the newest VDM update and the VDM Launch pad and I install them all.
I edited my play.bat to make sure it loads SETSOUND before MAIN.
I follow the suggestions on how to modify the play.bat file by right clicking on it and choosing the VDM Music Icon.
I double click on PLAY.
I choose a midi and sound card choice and both are accepted and I hit DONE.

WOW the game starts in full screen. The BULLFROG logo starts. The opening movie sound is fine but the movie itself is a bit choppy and it seems to skip multiple frames. The in game menus load fine with all the sounds but you can tell the game is running in hyper drive by the way the lights are flashing.
I load a level and it loads fine but it really is in hyper drive.
I tape "SHIFT -" (Shift plus the Minus symbol) a few times and the game slows down to a perfect speed and in hi rez.
The game is running perfect, in full screen mode, I have full sound BUT NOW I HAVE NO MUSIC either from the game or the CD. AHHHH!

I do not get it. In Dosbox the sound is perfect but the games runs slower than your grandmother.
Using VDM Sound under XP the game runs fine after an in game speed adjustment but I have sound BUT NO MUSIC!.
There must be a way to solve this.

ANY suggestions would be welcome.

Best JMD

Old 13-06-2005, 10:58 PM   #48
orrion_ns

I played this game many years ago. It was so addictive

But I quited at space station, just couldn't figure out how to complete it???
Now after reading all the comment here I'm thinking of finishing the damn thing finally, but can someone please tell me how to complete that mission (it's one before the last, when you're on the space station, you got on by that orbital elevator). Especially what to do with those blue spheres that imprisons your agents if I remember well?!

Old 03-07-2005, 01:26 PM   #49
Dark_Gamer

So how do you get It to work on DOS-BOX
:angry:
Dark_Gamer is offline                         Send a private message to Dark_Gamer
Old 03-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #50
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Gamer@Jul 3 2005, 01:26 PM
So how do you get It to work on DOS-BOX
:angry:
Have you been reading the previous posts in this thread?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles