Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #41
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX2GvO View Post
If you start steam and your internet connection is trying to connect online any possible way. Steam will attempt to go online. (and fail totally)
So for offline to work finally you need to turn off the wifi and disconnect the net cable.
Hmm. From my experience, you are wrong. It's a usual script for my son: he arrives at home while my computer is off and start Terraria just after system went online. Steam went offline, of course, as he didn't connect ADSL. After that some other program (I think, it's a uTorrent, but I cannot confirm it, as I never was at home when it's happens) auto-restores ADSL-connection and everything is working since then... but when I arriving at home several hours later, Steam still offline. So I don't think that it can go online by itself.

Hmm, actually, I just checked both scenarios: "put Steam in offline mode then plug on network" and "put Steam in offline mode, turn it off, start network then start Steam". Only difference is question on start "Do you want to go online or stay offline?". So no, it's not going to online by itself.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 17-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #42
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Seeing you are so prone to keep your personal info safe I'm rather amazed you even suggest an internet café.
I certainly would never do that: I would be extremely reluctant to do it even from my own home. But many people don't even have the luxury of having an internet connection at home. This is a workaround for them.

Quote:
In my opinion that's the best way to be hit by any info stealing virus or info stealing web redirects as you never know what anyone else has dumped or looked at on those machines.
To be really frank with you, for those who know nothing about computers already manage to do that quite more easily from the own "safety" of their own homes...