Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
XCOM_Squaddie

I need some help with DOS in general. I'm running Windows 98. I also have DOSBOX, mainly to avoid this problem. Everytime I run a game in regular DOS mode, it works perfectly fine except that the brightness/contrast is low. With other non-DOS related games I just tweak my settings with 3DFX and theres no problem (works in DOSBOX too) But it doesn't seem to have any affect on games played in regular DOS mode. Does anyone know if there is a way to increase brightness in DOS? I'd really appreciate it, because games in DOSBOX seem to lag.. both the sound and gameplay.. so it'd be really awesome if someone knew how to fix my problem. Thanks :bye:
XCOM_Squaddie is offline                         Send a private message to XCOM_Squaddie
Old 19-04-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
Allen
Abandonia nerd

Sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence here, but... :whistle:
Have you tried to increase the brightness/contrast on your monitor? What GFX card do you have? What monitor do you use, CRT or TFT?
Allen is offline                         Send a private message to Allen
Old 20-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Is it with specific games? Because AFAIK there's no way to change the contrast in DOS (only on your monitor). However in certain games, (I know of Doom, Quake and some others), there's a 'agjust Gamma' option (it's F11 in Doom I think).
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 20-04-2005, 07:02 PM   #4
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup@Apr 20 2005, 07:35 AM
Is it with specific games? Because AFAIK there's no way to change the contrast in DOS (only on your monitor). However in certain games, (I know of Doom, Quake and some others), there's a 'agjust Gamma' option (it's F11 in Doom I think).
Yes most of DOS games have software contrast/brightness settings. Can you tell us which game is giving you problems?

Because some (like Ultima underworld) are quite dark and the only way to make it brighter is to find object that illuminate the space around you.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 21-04-2005, 03:18 AM   #5
XCOM_Squaddie

Thanks, that's basically what I wanted to know, If I could adjust the brightness/contrast of DOS. And seeing as how I can't I guess I have no choice but to stick to Windows games. I just don't understand why I can tweak the brightness on Windows games through the control panel but not DOS games. And most games I play in DOS don't have brightness settings, so it looks as if I'm screwed. Oh well. I can find abandonware strictly for Windows well enough..... not.
XCOM_Squaddie is offline                         Send a private message to XCOM_Squaddie
Old 21-04-2005, 07:14 AM   #6
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Why don't you change the setting directly from the monitor itself? :crazy:
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 21-04-2005, 05:37 PM   #7
XCOM_Squaddie

Don't you think I would have tried that already? That's the first thing I did. :eeeeeh:
Old 21-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I think that what Efthimios wanted to say is that we don't really understand why you would need to tweak with your Windows options to adjust brightness instead of using directly your monitor, so even less why you would have problem about this with DOS games.

Considering to purchase a new monitor might be an option. Nowaday monitors are almost computers by themselves...