Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #171
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loom player View Post
I just thought I'd drop a line to say that I've succeeded in getting the CD version to work with full sound in ScummVM without resorting to even making a single CD image.

This is what I did:
This is a frustrating game to get to work in the enhanced version. I downloaded the AB version of the game; then HOTO's patches; put them all in the one folder; renamed the audio track to track1.mp3; opened SCUMM and added the game. All I ended up with was the EGA version with music but no speech track.

Btw, if anyone wants the updated HOTO adddie with the link to the 30 minute audio prologue, here it is.

Last edited by wendymaree; 17-01-2008 at 11:59 AM.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 18-01-2008, 12:24 AM   #172
Scatty
Treasure hunter

The VGA version of Loom, on other hand, has better graphics and plays speech if it's burned on a CD as a music track, but has no ingame music unlike the EGA version. Is there ANY version of Loom that would work normally, too?
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 18-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #173
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
The VGA version of Loom, on other hand, has better graphics and plays speech if it's burned on a CD as a music track, but has no ingame music unlike the EGA version. Is there ANY version of Loom that would work normally, too?
Well Loom was always a bit of a weird game with all its different versions. The enhanced Monkey Island version had a graphical interface and had CD music as well, but no speech. I think that they learned from Loom that people prefer music over speech - I know I do. They could have kept the midi music though.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #174
Vinka

I'm not getting any sound Otherwise, GREAT game, tottaly addictive
Vinka is offline                         Send a private message to Vinka
Old 15-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #175
skite2001

i really really like the game.
there exist 3 versions of the game and i own all:amused::
1-Floppy (EGA)
2-CD (256 colors, speech, cd-music, cut)
3-FM-Towns (256 colors, cd-music, uncut)

There are some really important differences between CD and FM-Towns versions.
some quote:
Quote:
The FM-Towns version of Loom has been redrawn in 256-colour colour graphics, including character portraits, and uses the original dialogue from the floppy version with no scenes cut short (in contrast to the DOS CD-ROM version). In addition it features a digital audio soundtrack with alternate versions of tracks played (and looped) after the regular versions have finished. The game unfortunately does not feature speech.
as you see, the CD Version got no character portraits and almost all scenes are shorter (cut) then the floppy/fm-towns version. Playing the "notes" sounds much better and the background music isn't playing the whole time.

my cents so far...
skite2001 is offline                         Send a private message to skite2001
Old 18-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #176
Machiavelli

Anywhere to get the FM-Towns version? What do I need to run it? I'm currently doing it on dosbox with the ega version, i think.
Machiavelli is offline                         Send a private message to Machiavelli
Old 19-06-2008, 06:02 AM   #177
Machiavelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loom player View Post
I just thought I'd drop a line to say that I've succeeded in getting the CD version to work with full sound in ScummVM without resorting to even making a single CD image.

This is what I did:

1) Download ScummVM (latest was 0.91 for me now) and install it
2) Download the EGA Loom from Abandonia
3) Download the CD VGA patch and the voice pack from Home of the Underdogs
4) Extract the patch and voice pack to one folder, copy in the EGA version and apply the patch
(NOTE - you don't actually need to have extracted the voice pack to do the patch - if you don't you'll actually just save time)
5) Copy the game files from the "data" folder, as left by the patch (or you could just leave them there even)
6) Copy the mp3 included in the voice pack into the folder where the game files are (you can use the mp3 as-is in the voice-pack, no decoding to wav)
7) rename the mp3 to track1.mp3
8) Run ScummVM and add a new game. Point it at the folder with the game files. Check that it identified it as loom (DOS version).

Now you can play the CD version with full music/speech. The speech and music are mixed together as a CD audio track on the original game and ScummVM is able to use an mp3 directly as the contents of this audio track! Brilliant :brain:

The only thing I will note about the CD version vs. the EGA version is that some dialog has been changed/removed from the CD version. But it looks and sounds so much better I don't think it's a bad tradeoff. Also the text sync with the voice isn't perfect. It's always either too slow or too fast and there's no good middle-ground setting for the text speed, but it's really not serious.

Enjoy!
I've done this and it works great. Only thing is is that the game seems kinda quiet. The music isn't playing all the time like the ega version and there aren't many "sound effects" (music meant to sound like sound effects). Voice acting is really good though, real let down with IndyJ: FoA.
Machiavelli is offline                         Send a private message to Machiavelli
Old 22-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #178
laughs and smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinka View Post
I'm not getting any sound Otherwise, GREAT game, tottaly addictive

Haha! Same here!!! I owned a talkie version at a certain point, but I did not really enjoy that much (dialogs were brutal!!!!!! )....

Stumbled accross it yesterday after a long time and have been playing on and off all the time!!!!
laughs and smiles is offline                         Send a private message to laughs and smiles
Old 09-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #179
Akira
Forum hobbit

Question

Am just wondering, am I the only one who can't find an exit/quit game option? I've pretty much pressed all of the keys on my keyboard (I found the save/load options and figured how to pause it) and even combined some of them with Ctrl, but I still can't get out of the game without Ctrl-Alt-Deleting and removing it from my tasks... Is there another way, or no?

I finished this within a few hours on the "novice" level and plan on trying the other difficulties too Awesome game! My mum's friend lent it to us when I was little, but my mum wouldn't let my sisters or I play it It makes me sad that this entire time we were totally missing out!
Akira is offline                         Send a private message to Akira
Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #180
dosraider
Dismembered.

Alt-X or CTRL-C says the quick ref card (downloadable in PDF format on game sheet)

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 09-08-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Wanted to edit the post. :)
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider