Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-03-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Ol Dirty Bastard

I've been trying to install "Liberation Day," but after all the files have been installed, the setup program says, "Installing Microsoft DAO..." and then a popup comes up saying, "This setup program requires Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3 and above." Then it asks to install DirectX and the rest of the installation goes fine. Then when I try to run the game, the screen goes black and a popup that says "Can't load global data" comes up. Then the program quits. Anyone run into this before?
Ol Dirty Bastard is offline                         Send a private message to Ol Dirty Bastard
Old 17-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
catchaserguns
Games Master

Have you tried the compatibility modes with XP?
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 17-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

try downloading and installing microsoft DAO manually

( http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...s.shtml?dao350 for example?)
Old 17-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
Ol Dirty Bastard

Thanks for responding, but neither idea worked.

What is Microsoft DAO, by the way?

EDIT: I ran the installer in compatibility mode, and that eliminated the popup about Win95/NT, but the game still doesn't run.
Ol Dirty Bastard is offline                         Send a private message to Ol Dirty Bastard
Old 17-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #5
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally posted by www.castlesoftware.biz
Q4) What is Microsoft DAO ? Why do I need it ? Where can I get it ?

A4) Microsoft DAO (Data Access Objects) is a Microsoft technology that applications can use to talk to databases.
MyListMate uses DAO technology to store the Products, Units, Categories, Prices etc that you will set up. Therefore, MyListMate requires Microsoft DAO v3.5 to be installed on your computer.

The installation program for Microsoft DAO v3.5 is included in the MyListMate distribution. If you want to download the installation program for DAO separately, please see our Downloads page.
maybe, try their version fo dao?
http://www.castlesoftware.biz/MyListMate/faqGeneral.htm
Old 18-03-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I had a similar problem with Allied General... Turns out I can't install it in WinXP. If I do, it won't work. But if I install it with Win9x and then just copy all the files to WinXP it works.

This would mean you'd need a Win9x computer to install the game on hard-disk and then copy the installed files (and probably edit a few of them - if there are different drives, different sound and video settings), but it might do the trick (I can't guarantee though).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 18-03-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Oh you can use some virtual maschine for that, if you dont have another computer
Old 19-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Using Virtual PC 2004 might just about solve the problem.

There are quite a few 9x games that won't work with XP.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #9
Unregistered2
Default Allied General on Windows XP

Hi all, just copy install\wing\Wing32.dll from the CD to windows\System32. Then set winXP to 256 colors. And then AG\AG.exe should work. Works flawless here on VirtualBox. You don't have to install it. Bye, M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebatianos View Post
I had a similar problem with Allied General... Turns out I can't install it in WinXP. ...

Old 13-02-2015, 01:05 AM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

A copy of the WinG libraries - along with their installer - can be found on our Programs page: http://www.abandonia.com/en/programs
Guaranteed to work on 32-bit Windows versions up to XP; can't vouch for Vista and 7, never tried it with them.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman