Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
dava6711

Default originally in the DOSBox CD tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Yeah I noticed that, but I wanted to put whatever drag'n drop used. I don't know if they plan to update that, but maybe even so "-t iso" will continue being equivalent to "-t cdrom" for backward compatibility...?

I think they should have already updated this, it doesn't make things easier for beginners to DOSBox, because it contradicts the manual. For old users leaving backwards compatibility is enough. And people may think there's an undocumented difference between "iso" and "cdrom".
Thank you for this wonderful tutorial it's been a great help. I was wondering if you'd mind giving me a little advice? I'm attempting to play Mortal Kombat 3 (CD version) via bin/cue files in Dosbox, but I keep running into the same error stating that DosBox is: "Unable to find the MK3 CD" adding "Please be sure that the MK3 CD is in your CD-ROM drive and that the drive door is properly closed." I've followed your amazing guide to the letter but making the obvious alterations for directories etc..... I'm able to play the MK2 CD version of the game but MK3 is giving me headaches! Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated?

Thanks
dava6711 is offline                         Send a private message to dava6711
Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

Judging from your other post, are you using Daemon Tools?

DOSBox can mount the image instead of Daemon Tools. Both can't read the image file at the same time anyway. That's why the tutorial doesn't mention any other program, you're not supposed to use it--for that same image. If you would like to mount that image with Daemon Tools, then you'd have to follow this tutorial as if you had a real CD, at your Daemon Tools virtual drive; but this is an unnecessary roundabout--unless you want to access the CD both in Windows and DOSBox.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
dava6711

Quote:
Judging from your other post, are you using Daemon Tools?

DOSBox can mount the image instead of Daemon Tools. Both can't read the image file at the same time anyway. That's why the tutorial doesn't mention any other program, you're not supposed to use it--for that same image. If you would like to mount that image with Daemon Tools, then you'd have to follow this tutorial as if you had a real CD, at your Daemon Tools virtual drive; but this is an unnecessary roundabout--unless you want to access the CD both in Windows and DOSBox.
Ahh right... ok then. I'll follow your tutorial tomorrow as if I had the CD and mount it in my virtual (i) drive instead of my physical (d) drive as I am indeed using Daemon Tools. I'm hoping that going this route will eliminate the errors I'm receiving trying to play MK3?
Thank you for your response
Old 03-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

Maybe, if that's the problem. On second thought, if you got that error message when trying to play, but the imgmount command didn't throw any error, it may be a different problem. I have tried mounting an image both in Windows (not with Daemon Tools though) and DOSBox at the same time and it worked all right.

"Unable to find the MK3 CD" sounds like the CD isn't mounted in DOSBox, or the game installation expects it at a different drive letter. Please tell us everything you did step by step and what DOSBox says line by line.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
dava6711

Quote:
Maybe, if that's the problem. On second thought, if you got that error message when trying to play, but the imgmount command didn't throw any error, it may be a different problem. I have tried mounting an image both in Windows (not with Daemon Tools though) and DOSBox at the same time and it worked all right.

"Unable to find the MK3 CD" sounds like the CD isn't mounted in DOSBox, or the game installation expects it at a different drive letter. Please tell us everything you did step by step and what DOSBox says line by line.
Ok here goes....

mount c c:\dos\mk
c:
imgmount d mk3.cue -t iso
d:
install

The game then installs fine, I then setup the sound at the end of the installation. I then create the .BAT file with the following instructions:-

imgmount d mk3.cue -t iso
cd mk3
mk3

When I drag the newly created .BAT file onto the the DOSbox icon I receive the error about the CD not being inside the drive? My directories are setup the same as yours except they're named differently!
I can upload some DOSbox snapshots as well if you'd like?

Thank you

Edit, I just attempted to install/run the game using the Daemon tools method but still received the exact same error stating the MK3 disc needs to be in the drive?

Last edited by dava6711; 03-09-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

I need the response from DOSBox to each of those commands. For example in the tutorial:

Quote:
Drive C is mounted as local directory ...
Quote:
MSCDEX installed
Drive D is mounted as ...
If you get different messages it means some error occurred. I also need the response to "cd mk3", if any.

Did you save the .BAT file into "c:\dos\mk" or "c:\dos\mk\mk3"? It must be in the former, as in the tutorial.