Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #541
Masrim
Default Smart phone play

Has anyone tried to get this game to work on a tablet or smartphone at all?

Would it even be possible on android?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #542
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If you have a DOS emulator for your system, it would. Otherwise you're SOL.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #543
Masrim
Default aDosbox android

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
If you have a DOS emulator for your system, it would. Otherwise you're SOL.
ahh then that is sweet, dosbox (adosbox) is available on android, and for free, oh man my work ethic is now completely destroyed.

Old 15-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #544
lazy.ninja
Talking Totally. On my smartphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masrim View Post
ahh then that is sweet, dosbox (adosbox) is available on android, and for free, oh man my work ethic is now completely destroyed.
Yes. VERY YES.

I've found the standard free Android aDOSBox emulator doesn't work right for me. I use a program called DosBox4SK which is made for some other specific phone, but it works great on my Samsung Galaxy S3.

I also install the keyboard "Hacker's Keyboard" so I can actually get a full keyboard, since I play Crusaders of the Dark Savant in keyboard mode. Or of course you can use an external keyboard or mouse, I use a bluetooth keyboard. I can also get an adapter to plug usb keyboards and mice directly into the S3, but that varies by phone.

Turn the sound options to Adlib or Soundblaster for Music, but PC Speaker for Sound. I find the sound effects cut out sometimes (but not the music) but you just have to save and restart the emulator.

I think that you could play CODS on Mouse mode pretty effectively with a stylus, but it's a little difficult to press the buttons exactly with your fingers, they're too small on a smartphone, maybe on a tablet though.

The cool thing about running the game on DOSBox is that I can play the same game on my PC when I'm at home. I just plug in my phone and copy the savegame file over to the computer or vice versa. And always check the time and date on the copies before I confirm just to make sure!

And yeah, I can now get lost for hours in this game anywhere I am.... Not good. I have 4 characters now with all spell groups maxed, and woke the last 2 up from "death/pack mule" status so I can beef them all up to 20 Str and break down a few doors. Only about 60 hours in. :P

- a CODS lover.

Old 15-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #545
lazy.ninja

By the way, let me know if you need more details how to install it all and make it work.
lazy.ninja is offline                         Send a private message to lazy.ninja
Old 15-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #546
lazy.ninja

Default no pic no proof

Really I could have faked this but it's real. This is my setup.

Hmm. Image not working for me... If the img tag isn't working look here: http://imgur.com/rRnmSYA.jpg

I think I'll buy one of those cheap $2 dollar store stylus pens soon and try mouse mode, it might be easier and I wouldnt have to lug the keyboard around in my bag. If I use the software keyboard I have to turn the screen sideways, then the emulator window only takes up 1/3 of the screen, it's sorta tiny but playable.

lazy
lazy.ninja is offline                         Send a private message to lazy.ninja
Old 28-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #547
Unregisteredasdfasdf
Default 3705

fuck this al the games like thuis could be downloaded a few years ago, now its always "BUY IT"...wtf...who is still sucking money out of millenia old games??? thats ridiculus! they all used to be free to download a few years ago, and now, when theyre even older, they suddenly cost money, wtf?!?!?

Old 28-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #548
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Technically, copyright subsists in most materials for 70+ years after the death of their creator, so books and movies and yes, even these games can still make money.

And abandonware is technically illegal, so if we're asked to take our downloads down, we kind of have to

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 30-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #549
stormbabbler
Lurker

Question VINIT problem with Wizardry 7

Hello.

First off, thanks to all those who run and contribute to Abandonia, and to all those who answer questions here on the forums.

I would like to run Wizardry 7 on DOSBox on Windows 10 using my Lenovo all-in-one computer.

I mount C and switch to the proper folder (WIZ7 in this case). I then try running executables. If I type, for instance, "DS" I get the following message: "Error 10 loading overlay: VINIT". This message also appears for several other executable files. If I type, "PLAY" I get: "Error 10 loading overlay: VINITSYSTEM ERROR: Unknown Error - Please Report"

I also notice that my DOSBox window is rather small, and I cannot enlarge it to fit my monitor.

I ran a number of DOS games, using DOSBox on my last computer (a Mac); I think I ran Wizardry 7, but I can't recall definitely.

I would welcome any advice anyone can give.

Thank you.
stormbabbler is offline                         Send a private message to stormbabbler
Old 30-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #550
Capo
Unconventional member

"I'd think the error means Video Initialization .. I'd try low desktop resolution .. 1024x768 works for me.
Else try differant video mode and settings .. My Radion 6450 is running game ok.
It sounds like a Game Error Code . might not be a dosbox problem. "

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=2708

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo