Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #21
Doc Angelo

I just tested it: The second .conf dont override the values from the first .conf. If something wasnt defined in the first, it takes the definition from the second .conf. So the miniconf must be loaded before the one from the user.

Besides: The cycles which are best for a game depends heavily on the user CPU, right? How can we provide a setting for the cycles which will work on every computer?

//edit:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treewyrm @ Nov 22 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]268226[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
As for D-Fend profiles I'll have to dig it up too. If it's not too hard to implement I'll add that feature too.[/b]
I really like to help out. I can find out, if such a function is makeable and easy to use for the user. Till the end of the week i should be able to ... tell you if im to stupid for that or not.
Doc Angelo is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Angelo
Old 22-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #22
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

Doc Angelo, what DOSBox version do you use?

Quote:
Originally posted by dosbox.conf+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dosbox.conf)</div>
Quote:
[glide]
glide=false
port=300

[autoexec]
test
[/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-test.conf

[glide]
glide=true

[autoexec]
test2
Code:
dosbox -conf dosbox.conf -conf test.conf
In the end it initialized glide. So it does override settings. Also you can make multiple [autoexec] sections and it will merge contents from both of em. So i had both test and test2 commands executed in order set by -conf keys. Btw, I'm using 0.65 Daum Cafe build but I doubt this is unique to this build, I'll test this with original version.

Yes, they depend on CPU but not really that much. If your CPU can't handle amount of required emulated cycles by the game itself you aren't really going to run the game anyway (by "run" i actually meant "playable run" or something like that, sorry, english isn't my native). Mini-conf will only need to specify minimal amount of emulated cycles to run the game smooth enough to play. Once again: you can always modify mini-conf and set whatever you want there.
Treewyrm is offline                         Send a private message to Treewyrm
Old 22-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #23
Doc Angelo

Im using the actual version 0.65. I testes it twice, and the second one only adds settings, never override. But thats not a problem for our tiny Babyconf.
Doc Angelo is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Angelo
Old 22-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #24
velik_m
Game Wizzard

what about VDMSound support?
Old 22-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #25
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

And what about that? Despite all it's pros VDMSound is destined to extinct I have to say. It's quite sad but we all know about it. With Windows Vista coming up and more users jumping on 64-bit processors bandwagon (like me, I run both WinXP64 and source-based Linux distro with full x64 support) VDMSound will become pretty much obsolete because of it's inability to run within 64-bit environment and there is nothing we can do about it. Right now I'm more concerned about DOSBox since it doesn't heavily depend on host OS and their specific features, besides I enjoy it on my Linux box too :-). It may come that VDMSound profiles can be generated by installer but I'm not sure about that, I'll have to find out if it's possible.
Old 22-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #26
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This all sounds brilliant, I must say! I have just one question regarding manual unpacking... Lets say you wanted to unpack it on a linux or mac system, how would you do that if the file is a windows executable? Just wasn't clear on that part so I'd be grateful if you could give me a little more info Also, would there be any way to extract those file in DOS?

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 22-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #27
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

I've just compiled p7zip (opensource *NIX command-line 7zip port) on my Linux box and successfully un7zipped my installer. So pretty much both Windows and *NIX folks are safe with this distribution method: if they cannot run installer they can manually unpack it just like typical archive, every tool is free and opensource. Good for a long-time run.

As for DOS extracting I'm not sure. But even if there isn't way for pure DOS how're you supposed to get this file anyway? Don't tell me about browsing web in DOS... Sounds horrible... :-)

p.s. yea yea, I know... sitting under root in linux is baaaad, I don't usually do that, I'm just lazy sometimes :-)
Old 22-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #28
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

haha, well, I checked google analytics just to be sure, and no, there wasn't a single user that used DOS to visit abandonia However, there was one that used BeOS :blink: Anyways, I suppose it could be usable for all then, we'll just have to put a little FAQ that explains exactly how *NIX and MacOS users can extract the archives. Though I'm pretty sure most of the *NIX users will figure it out themselves

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 22-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #29
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

Perhaps a note telling them to use p7zip to manually unpack installer will do fine. If there'll be need - I'll write complete tutorial (granted someone will fix my horrible mistakes).

As far as I know it's quite possible to run NSIS installers on Linux using wine (as long as installer doesn't use specific plug-ins).

Btw, do we need multilingual installer? NSIS is capable of that too. Of course that comes at price of increased installer overhead. However we can choose specific languages and not just every NSIS supports (and that's quite a lot).
Old 23-11-2006, 06:41 AM   #30
Data
retired

personally I'm not a big fan of including cvs builds of dosbox.
Afterall those do change regularly and there is no way of knowing if a game will continue to work in it.

The incrememtal configuration support will be part of the next version of DOSBox.
If you rely on that feature it might be an idea to wait for it.