Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #11
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

D-Fend can create problems with some games. This option here is fairly straightforward.

Treewyrm, I think that idea (3 is sufficient, but (4 seems to be the best.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #12
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treewyrm @ Nov 21 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]267969[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
2) Each game doesn't include DOSBox itself but rather configuration file suited to run the game. User will have to install DOSBox manually though. This way games will not need to contain DOSBox in each installation, good for size, however it will require a little work afterwards, so I don't think it's much better.[/b]
How much "work" does installing DOSBox actually involve, though?
You need to
- download the archive
- create four new folders
- unzip the archive to the correct location
- add two lines to the config-file
- save the changes
But that's it. The longest bit about that is the download, but the rest is a matter of seconds, really.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 22-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #13
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

I'm currently looking to make it 4th way, however there are still some issues at hand. Firstly we must somehow figure out the latest DOSBox version before downloading anything, I bet 0.65 isn't going to be last one. Secondly we must know where to download from, DOSBox is hosted on sourceforge and they have multiple mirror servers to download from. I'll see what I can about it, NSIS have lots of tiny plug-ins just for anything, there is support for mirror downloads too but figuring out what filename is going to be a little tricky. Anyway I'm digging NSIS wiki and asking people on NSIS forum, they're good fellas and helped me a lot before, together we'll figure out how to do it.

A. J. Raffles, well yes, you know what to add into configuration file, right? But what about those who don't? Will they likely spend another hour reading DOSBox wiki and trying to figure out what to do? Likely not. Installer is expected to do almost everything automaticly with a few promts users should handle by themselves, otherwise it's no practical use.
Treewyrm is offline                         Send a private message to Treewyrm
Old 22-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #14
Doc Angelo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 22 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]268195[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
D-Fend can create problems with some games.[/b]
Well, then the option is grayed out, with a note "Unpossible" or somethin. If the problems can be solved with a specific config, then this config can be modified by the installer. I will take a look at NSIS, maybe i can help to realize this. I really think it would be handy for people who dont want to bother with configurations, folders and files.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 22 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]268195[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
This option here is fairly straightforward.[/b]
Sorry for my insufficient english. Did you want to say "The D-Fend option is easy to implement."? Or something completely other? I would appreciate a free english lesson.
Doc Angelo is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Angelo
Old 22-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #15
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It would take quite some time to create installers for all the games. Especially if a special config file has to be created for each and every game. Other than that I think it would make installing those games very, very easy indeed. I'd even use it and take the 17 different DosBox'es on my HD for granted, if all I wanted to do was give the game a quick try :P
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 22-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #16
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

Reup, don't worry, you don't need to create unique installer script for each game. I'll make generic script template which later can be used for any game so the packing process will be pretty much straightforward. If there'll be need for something special - I'll be there to modify script. Speaking basicly everyone who is capable of copying files in filesystem, editing dosbox.conf file, clicking on icon and selecting script file from dropdown menu will be able to pack game. But yea, dosbox.conf should be configured per-game, that's the whole point of all this idea is to make game run in DOSBox without all those configuration problems.
Old 22-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #17
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treewyrm @ Nov 22 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]268200[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
A. J. Raffles, well yes, you know what to add into configuration file, right? But what about those who don't? Will they likely spend another hour reading DOSBox wiki and trying to figure out what to do? Likely not. Installer is expected to do almost everything automaticly with a few promts users should handle by themselves, otherwise it's no practical use.
[/b]
Actually I'm anything but an expert. Everything I know about DOSBox I found out by reading help files.
There's no need even to go as far as the DOSBox wiki, though. DOSBox comes with a very helpful readme file which addresses all the most common questions (the first of which is how to mount drives). It's hard to miss that information, really, unless someone makes it a point never to read any file called 'readme'...:P
But yes, I see what you mean. A lot of people can't be bothered to look in the most obvious places.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 22-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #18
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Angelo @ Nov 22 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]268208[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well, then the option is grayed out, with a note "Unpossible" or somethin. If the problems can be solved with a specific config, then this config can be modified by the installer. I will take a look at NSIS, maybe i can help to realize this. I really think it would be handy for people who dont want to bother with configurations, folders and files.[/b]
D-Fend can create other problems then simple impossibility to run a game. Random crashes, for instance. In my own opinion, if the game is bundled with a pre-configured optimum config for DosBox, adding D-Fend to that would not be neccesary.
Especially not when appropriate shortcuts can be created by the installer, making the point of using D-Fend obsolete.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Angelo @ Nov 22 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]268208[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 22 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]268195[/snapback]
Quote:
This option here is fairly straightforward.[/b]
Sorry for my insufficient english. Did you want to say "The D-Fend option is easy to implement."? Or something completely other? I would appreciate a free english lesson.
[/b][/quote]
Really don't know what I wanted to say with that sentence. :blink: I'm not in best physical and mental shape recently. <_<

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
Doc Angelo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 22 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]268221[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
D-Fend can create other problems then simple impossibility to run a game. Random crashes, for instance. In my own opinion, if the game is bundled with a pre-configured optimum config for DosBox, adding D-Fend to that would not be neccesary.
Especially not when appropriate shortcuts can be created by the installer, making the point of using D-Fend obsolete.[/b]
Well, of course this option isnt really needed, its more an addition to the basic installation, for those who love D-Fend. For the one who is new to dos emulation, a shortcut just starting DosBox with the right config and the game is very easy and that is the goal. But if its possible, this D-Fend option just would be nice for the lazy ones (as i am).

I never heard of crashes, that D-Fend causes.
Doc Angelo is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Angelo
Old 22-11-2006, 02:19 PM   #20
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

A. J. Raffles, not only that but streamlined look is something I bet would be useful. Also you could simply use "silent" mode to install bunch of games without even clicking on a button, how useful is that? I think it's good too.

the_fifth_horseman, yup, valid shortcuts are made too, it's the first thing I have done and it works quite well (especially with unique icon).

Another very useful thing I've found while poking around DOSBox command-line interface is multiple configuration file. As you know you can specify configuration file by adding -conf key. Cool feature is that you can add more -conf keys and upon loading DOSBox will merge them into one and process configuration. This way we can create mini-confs that contain only game-specific parameters and optimal settings, this mini-conf will be added to -conf key in shortcut. We can preserve user preferences such as viewmode (fullscreen or windowed, scaler settings and so on) while modifying only those that game specifically needs (cycles, cpu settings, soundcard settings, mount points and etc). In this light I think installer usefulness is quite obvious. With people here that can provide those game-specific .conf settings we can make this whole idea live.

Right now I'm coding generic installer script based on Albion installer with those features I've mentioned before. Most difficult part right now is to make it download latest DOSBox... :-) The rest aren't that difficult.

As for D-Fend profiles I'll have to dig it up too. If it's not too hard to implement I'll add that feature too.

Also I've asked Kosta to provide some graphic templates from website so I can recreate Abandonia style. Since graphics here composed of few colors they will also take less in installer. Besides I think it's cool and distinguishable (as opposed to those ugly warez-scene-like .NFOs and other stuff like that).