Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Default Dragon Wars

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and download (if available)
Old 21-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Now, that's a high-leveled game update. Thanks again to Ermuli, Pex and Geezer!
Old 23-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

looks nice
Old 26-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Mynash

Beautiful game .. I spent hours and hours on this as a kid .. wandering around .. getting lost .. leveling up .. fighting dragons and armies .. trying to get high damage spells like Big Chill and Firestorm for all the characters in my party ...

*** SPOILERS ***

This game also has the toughest final boss of that I can remember, Namtar. Everytime I thought I killed him off, he'd rise up again whenever I wanted to throw his body off the chasm, wiping out what's left of my party. I can't even begin to explain the satisfaction I felt when I finally threw him off and heard his death screams as he fell down into the endless abyss (Or rather, his death beeps .. BEEEEeeeeeep ).

How I managed to do all that as a little kid, without any kind of human help or FAQ is waaaay beyond me <_< I must've been younger than 10 years old at the time.

Ah ... dem good ol' days ..
Mynash is offline                         Send a private message to Mynash
Old 09-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #5
Talin
Game freak

still have my version for C64, CIB and all.
Talin is offline                         Send a private message to Talin
Old 19-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Because it's sold on Amazon, Dragon Wars is now unavailable for download.
Old 21-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

We made a mistake while evaluating this games status. Download is now back up again.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 16-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
kasan
Lurker

Exclamation

This game is NOT part of the Bards Tale Trilogy as is erroneously listed. It just happens to be a wonderful game that was also made by Interplay.

I spent more time as a kid getting up early before high school so I could spend some quality time playing this on my C64 Clone, til I accidentally saved my game over the original files on the disk and lost it forever
kasan is offline                         Send a private message to kasan
Old 30-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
kerdios

I remember I kept restarting the game all the time with the same characters (it allowed you to restart with the characters at their pre-restart level and skills)
because I kept getting into areas which were to tough, because I ran out of areas which weren't. And each time I tried to find a different way of leaving Purgatory (the starting city).

One of the main problems with the game is the ability to lose a game essential item irreversibly, which would force you to restart once you understood what you did.(such as the statue feet under the ruined city near purgatory) Coupled with a very small inventory you can see how this can become a real problem.

But otherwise the game is very good.

Old 23-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
McDeath

I enjoyed this game immensely; even more so on the Amiga. The music from the amiga was very nice and mood setting. Transferring characters from Bard's tale was also a nice tough. Seemed back then there were games you could transfer from Ultima III, Wizardry, Bardstale and maybe more. A very interesting feature I must say.

In continuity I've read some say that after the ending in Bard's Tale II the heroes went to adventure elsewhere and ended up in Dilmun (if i recall that was the name from memory). They probably ended up there by ship or something thing being a set of islands.

Later after the demise Namtor the heroes came back to their hometown of Skara Brae only to find it razed and destroyed by Tarjan. I always wondered what happened to the other towns from bards II.

I think an epic remake of the entire series (if you wanted to include Dragon Wars) would have been nice. Only thing I found that was remotely close was Devil Whiskey but I didn't care to fork over money for that project.
McDeath is offline                         Send a private message to McDeath