Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-06-2009, 04:48 AM   #31
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

King of Dragon Pass. Wonderful mix of strategy, simulation, and RPG. Also very replayable, with tons of different things to discover and try out.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 18-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #32
virumor

Some people seem to consider Mass Effect as a "shooter with RPG elements", other consider it a "RPG with shooter elements". I'd say it's the latter, considering pointing the cursor at an enemy and shooting doesn't necessarily result in hitting the enemy.
virumor is offline                         Send a private message to virumor
Old 18-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #33
nem75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simoneer View Post
Well, Hack and Slash (which I assume you mean) is a type of gameplay, not a genre on its own. An RPG can have Hack and Slash gameplay. It can even have strategic gameplay, and only include firearms.
No, I mean hack'n'slay. Which is exactly the same as hack'n'slash, but it is often called hack'n'slay over here. Whether that's because zee (we) Germans have a better grip on our own language than English (well, most of us) or because the contentual difference of the two terms is marginal, I wouldn't want to decide.

Anyway, to me it's a genre defined by Diablo and everything that came after it. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a authoritative definition saying that it is a type of gameplay, contrary to a genre. (And that's not even considering how much a genre is defined be just that: the gameplay.) But if that's what you want to call it - whatever floats your boat.
nem75 is offline                         Send a private message to nem75
Old 18-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #34
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane View Post
I actually love the very last one, it felt like a love letter to the entire series, where they fixed a lot of issues (horrific combat controls etc.) that plagued the series. Also, unlike the pseudo-Russian one, it wasn't so crippled with bugs on release it was actually playable.
I don't like the combat system of QFGV, not at all. And a lot of quest got the feeling of "go to point a, kill everything that moves and come back, possibly with quest item b". There wasn't really a lot of space to alternative solutions to some quests, or the alternatives weren't much different. The feeling of the game wasn't the same.

I liked, yes, and I'm glad that the series could have an ending, although the ending it had wasn't very good. I would preferred a more satisfactory ending than "now you are king! Congratulations! Maybe you even married! Thanks for playing QFG during all these years" I would preferred and ending more like the other QFGs, where everyone touched by your adventures would talk in your behalf, everyone would cheer you and all that. But then take one step more, with some special cinematic, or revelation or something.

And I liked QFG IV!! But yes, if you were a thief, you would possible wouldn't be able to finish the game
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 18-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #35
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Quia View Post
And I liked QFG IV!! But yes, if you were a thief, you would possible wouldn't be able to finish the game
how so? (i haven't played the game yet)
Old 18-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #36
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

It was a bug that was already patched. When it was released, there was an event leading to the last quarter of the game that, if you were a thief, would never happen. That happened with the floppy version, because the cd (and Anthology) one I can't remember if it were already patched or if it came with the patch.
Old 18-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #37
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

phew, i already thought i can screw my savegamed thief character from the first one
Old 18-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #38
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That is the game that actually killed Sierra for me. Worst bugged release ever. But it still has a place in my heart, among other things because Dr. Brain shows up

Edit: My favourite of the series is 3 just by the way.
Old 18-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #39
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane View Post
That is the game that actually killed Sierra for me. Worst bugged release ever. But it still has a place in my heart, among other things because Dr. Brain shows up

Edit: My favourite of the series is 3 just by the way.
Really? Although it was the first QFG I played, I always though it was the weakest for the bunch. My favorites are I and IV .
Old 18-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #40
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hehe, interesting, because my second favourite is number 2

Ah well, the world needs all types!