Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-08-2005, 01:29 AM   #41
Varkrath

I can't get it to run either. :help: I got the memory error once. I played with the compatibility stuff, memory management, DOSBox (using D-fend)... Any ideas? I havn't tried ring2 or that cop game made by the same company. I have winXP, Athlon 750MHz and 384meg RAM.

No one should feel badd about the comp they are running. Before a friend of mine gave me this computer about a month ago, i was running on a 200MHz over clocked to 233 with 256mb ram for YEARS.
Varkrath is offline                         Send a private message to Varkrath
Old 20-08-2005, 01:07 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@May 25 2005, 07:11 PM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)
:help:
hi guys, I´m looking for Robinsons Requiem, i have some corrupted version because it doesn´t work...I only get an error in dosbox!...any sugestion.
Thanks in advance and my apologies because my english is not good!

Old 12-09-2005, 03:01 AM   #43
Xavier

How do i do the wire problem??

I tried to look on the "protection Codes" link that was at the page, but it says i cant find the page :-\

Old 12-09-2005, 11:52 AM   #44
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well obviously the link got broken while the stuff was transfered from one server to the other... Hopefully the owner of the site will fix this soon - in the mean time you can get them >>>HERE<<<
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 21-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #45
Artemis Lynn

I'm playing this game for the first time and wanted to peruse the forum quick in case there were problems with it. I couldn't help but comment on all of the people commenting on their English- don't worry, guys, I'm from the US and frankly your spelling and grammar are both perfect. Your English is better than that of about 90% of Americans running around the internet, for that matter...... I wish you could give them pointers! The only thing indicating that you aren't a native speaker is the fact that you can actually use the language, and I think that says bad things about my own country.......

So don't worry! k:

Old 07-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #46
gryphon
Lurker

I havn't played this game much, but I have to say that it is VERY BORING!

There's nothing to do! It's just like you are playing out a story. Lots of talk talk talk, no game playing at all. You have the option of picking preset replies to the talk talk talk, but that's it. Presumably, each reply gives a different response. There are no puzzles to speak of, the cutscreens take too long, the and there is way too much talking.

I give it a 1 out of 5 :tai:
He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.
gryphon is offline                         Send a private message to gryphon
Old 22-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #47

I know this will sound like an old problem, but so far none of the solutions posted has worked for me :S

1. DosBox - When I try playing Ring in it, it either blinks then returns to normal. Not runing the game.

2. XP - I've tried running the game exported directly to C:\Ring but again, dont work. Either it complains about it not being a win32 application (or something along those lines.) Or simply flashes the dos window and closes it. There is some text in the window but it flashes so fast that I cant read it. Havnt even managed to take a screenshot of it.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm running a neat little 1ghz, win XP Pro, 512mb ram.

I'm desperate. Somehow Ring2 works ok... and the first one looks great!

-Author

Old 29-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #48
gimsom

Here's a short review:

Plot/Atmosphere:

The plot is pretty average space opera with the basic cliches, such as ancient objects of races that has vanished long ago. As you propbaly know the game is based on a book which came in the year 1970 and has been followed by three more. Perhaps the plot was original back then. The races aren't too original either. Imagine giant feline race of overgrown panthers and lions. All the other aliens look quite classic too. Perhaps tone of my review sound a bit ironic and even loathing so far.

Perhaps the plot is slightly too "B-quality" on todays standards but the game does have one amazing thing on which it is mostly based on: Ringworld. The Ringworld is an amazing megastructure and the game depicts its gigantic size and partial beauty. Ringworld has propably hundreds of different ecologic systems and you are lucky visit in few of them.

The game was heavily critisized over too long cinematics. I admit they were long but they shouldn't bug anyone too much. The game was praised for its humor. I smiled a few times but the game isn't that funny in my opinion. The conversations were mostly pretty average.

Time hasn't treated the plot too well, but the game catches the atmosphere of the books very well. I, for one, could easily forgive the plot. Atleast it's quite retro.

Graphics/Sound:

I don't have much to say about the sounds because my computer only played them with horrible midi effects. Graphics of the game are sweet, rich, colorful and majestetic on most parts. The megastructuce Ringworld, three millions time size of earth, is depicted as huge as it is. It's insane size is best shown on the cinematic when you and your party enters into the Ringworld. The game is quite a trip as you visit several exotic parts of Ringworld such as desert, underwater world and a city in the sky. The graphics are really the best I can think for a game of that age. Perhaps some of the characters could have used bit more time, but overall graphics are great.

Playability:

Overall the playability is good. It is a typical example of adventure games of the early 90's. Most of the puzzles were logical, but there was one extremely nasty one in the castle of the cat king. One of the worst puzzles I've ever seen.

Overall:

Overall I don't have much to complain about but neither much to overly praise. Good graphics with exellent atmosphere manage to overcome the wornout plot and few illogical puzzles. Surely the game is must have if you like Ringworld series. I have never red any Ringworld book but I did, like most of average adventurers will, enjoy the game. Its not revolutionizing but overall I have to say that I enjoyed it. It has some flaws but it is quite a trip.

3 Stars
<div align="center">***</div>

Old 27-02-2007, 03:57 AM   #49

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest_Songnar @ May 25 2005, 08:14 PM) [snapback]110738[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Also, the ringworld series is a bunch of books that spawned everyone's favorite book series by terry Pratchett. <Discworld>
[/b]
I´m sorry but this game and "return to..." are not based or related in any way to Prachett´s books. They are inspired in Larry Niven´s classic Science Fiction "Ringworld", from the seventies. There are also several sequels.

Old 27-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #50
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The way I understand what Songnar said, he meant that the Ringworld series may have been the source of inspiration for the Discworld series.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman