Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Abandonia Reloaded?
Its cool 23 56.10%
Its nice 9 21.95%
Its worthless 2 4.88%
It sucks 1 2.44%
I dont know what to say 5 12.20%
Abandonia Reloaded? 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-05-2005, 07:50 PM   #11
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

What he said. k:
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 19-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #12
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

I especially love the design............ :whistle:
Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 20-05-2005, 02:08 AM   #13
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by a1s@May 19 2005, 07:25 PM
some of what was before abandoned, becomes free with time (blieve it or not- that's the case with tribes).
I personaly believe that there should be a law- every game that is 20 (25? come on, not more than 25!) years old should be released to public. But since there isn't, lets just thank those who release games.
Actually I believe there is such a law, only it's something like 75 years or so. I might be wrong, though.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 20-05-2005, 06:37 AM   #14
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@May 20 2005, 02:08 AM
Actually I believe there is such a law, only it's something like 75 years or so. I might be wrong, though.
I thought it was 90 years after the author's death, as with books?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 20-05-2005, 07:28 AM   #15
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

The only copyright law that is "low", is medical copyright. After 20 years, the recipe for the medicament is released to the public, and other companies can start creating it.

This is done because medicine is (for some) life-important, and there should be a free marked for it. Due to the fact that this will lower the price for the medicament.

The 20 years are there so that the company that used several million dollars in creating it, can get their moneys worth back.

But to use this law in any other circumstance would be silly. It would only create endless amounts of plagiaritism.

EDIT: And this is very off-topic, by the way.
Old 20-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #16
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@May 19 2005, 06:08 PM
I guess it saddens me a little bit that Beneath a Stell Sky is no longer on abandonia (especially since I translated it* ).
What do you mean - no longer here?
what do you call THIS then?
So far no shareware, remake, freeware,... has been removed from abandonia - it's just that new ones aren't added (because they go to AR).

Quote:
I personaly believe that there should be a law- every game that is 20 (25? come on, not more than 25!) years old should be released to public.
Wel there is a similar law for music... but that means other artists may do the song (so after I think it's) 25 years, someone else may take your hit song and put it on one's own album (if it's less then this ammount of time you need to buy copyrights).

The big difference between music, films, book and games is this:
There are libraries, video rental shops, TVs, Radios... so you can read, watch or listen to any of those (even if you can't own it). You can always tape a movie or a song when it's broadcasted...
But you can't get the games this way! For games you need to either buy them or download them (you can't call in your favourite radiostation and play it). So maybe there should be some gaming libraries... You'd pay a monthly (or yearly) ammount of money and you could play the game online (without the option of downloading it). The site that would offer this would of course need the original games with all the rights (not to mention a very good technical support). The biggest problem would be connection. Imagine some 50.000 people playing different online games all hosted at the same location (with another 80.000 just browsing through the site).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 20-05-2005, 09:45 PM   #17
Flop
Hero Gamer

Oh. I didn't realise it was still here, I just assumed it was moved. But why shouldn't we translate it then, if it remains on abandonia?

In Denmark you can borrow games at the library, although the selection is rather limited (and you can only keep the game for 1 or 2 weeks).

@Tom Henrik: I found this on ESA's site:

Quote:
Haven't the copyrights for old games (like Atari & Commodore) expired?

U.S. copyright laws state that copyrights owned by corporations are valid for 95 years from the date of first publication. Because video and computer games have been around a little more than three decades, the copyrights of all video and computer programs will not expire for many decades to come.
Sorry for going even further off topic. I'll stop now.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 20-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #18
a1s
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@May 20 2005, 08:18 AM
So maybe there should be some gaming libraries... You'd pay a monthly (or yearly) ammount of money and you could play the game online (without the option of downloading it). The site that would offer this would of course need the original games with all the rights (not to mention a very good technical support). The biggest problem would be connection. Imagine some 50.000 people playing different online games all hosted at the same location (with another 80.000 just browsing through the site).
why not just organise them like normal libraries? you've got chairs and tables in libraries, right? and you replace them once in a while. so you could also purchase a limited number (I'm still thinking in the area of ten(s)) of old (thus cheap) computers and buy some old (but not yet off the market) games, again you don't need many copies, just as many as you'd buy of books. and you can distribute earpones, so it would still be quiet...
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 20-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #19
xoopx
Hero Gamer

i like the site.. but i dont want to have to register again for the forum.
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 20-05-2005, 11:14 PM   #20
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Why not a Netflicks kind of program, but with Games? Send you the games, play as long as you want, send it back when you're done for a new one
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ