Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-02-2008, 04:07 AM   #1
steve3131

Default The President Is Missing

Getting pretty desperate, so here goes...

This was a sort of adventure game by a company called Cosmi from 1988. You play a US agent trying to track down the kidnapped President and find who was involved.

It looks like the game doesn't end. You look at evidence and break codes, but you have to mail what you think happened in to Cosmi to find out if you're right. But that company isn't around anymore, so I'm stuck.

Has anyone played the game? I'm not really even looking for the full solution because I don't expect anyone to have it. If anyone would be willing to share their notes for comparing, that would be help enough. Actually any help would be great. I really want to finish the game.
steve3131 is offline                         Send a private message to steve3131
Old 21-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

You have to send your conclusions in?! That's new to me. Did you investigate the audio tape?
Old 23-02-2008, 01:19 AM   #3
steve3131

You did have to write to the company, according to the manual and archived posts online. I have people caught in lies but I can't arrest them. I have names of people obviously involved, but they can't be "found." I can't send agents to investigate specific companies or locations that are involved, and should be in the solution, but I guess are outside the scope of the game.

i haven't figured out how to get into the secret files, so maybe there's a complete answer there. Otherwise it looks like you only close the case by writing the company.

I got everything on the tape (except the French president's tapping), and it all makes sense when it decodes, but those clues dead-end. I found an old C64 forum post that said you could "cheat" that version by loading files you see in the directory, but that's not really an option in the DOS version. Basically I've taken it as far as I can without someone else to compare with, or someone providing the code for the top secret section.
steve3131 is offline                         Send a private message to steve3131
Old 15-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Mewcenary
Lurker

Found this as a result of Googling.

I had this game on the C64. Disk version.

I cracked the secret area on this version. You see, on the C64, you entered the Secret Code one character at a time, and it only stopped you once you entered an incorrect one. So you could brute force it.

Which I did. So I know what happened. But from memory, it will be very hazy. I should really grab it for C64 and do that again.

Spoilers available....

I did play the Amiga version as well, but the interface etc really sucked in comparison to C64.
Mewcenary is offline                         Send a private message to Mewcenary
Old 18-06-2008, 03:21 AM   #5
scottlatman
Lurker

Default Things I know

Try this...

http://home.kc.rr.com/scottlatman/thepresidentismissing

-Scott
scottlatman is offline                         Send a private message to scottlatman
Old 05-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
luke35
Lurker

Default I used to have this one!

It was made by celery software and they had a second similar title called Presumed Guilty. I'd love to play these again...
luke35 is offline                         Send a private message to luke35
Old 13-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
humorguy
Super Freak

I too have both of these Cosmi games! The second one is better. luckily I also have The President is Missing for my Commodore 64 as well, so I know that I will now finish it on my C64 rather than my DOS version! These games are the text/database versions of both text adventures like the Infocom titles, but also of games like Lords of Midnight or Midwinter by Mike Singleton!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy