Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 30-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

The static actually causes damage to CDs when you take them out of the players. If you can really be arsed then get a copper bracelet (or whatever they're called) and wear it when you take CDs out.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 30-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #12
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i still belive that just-playng- no cracks,no dirts(ideal world) doesnt damage your cd
btw
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cd5.htm

edit:coppy n paste my answers from making exact 1 on 1 coppies topic

Quote:
Originally posted by danny
but if it get damaged because of some dirt or anything else while your computer is reading it (read: when you are playing) then cd's can be damaged only by playing
it's not just playng, it's just playng in non-ideal world with "dirts or something"=)
Old 30-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #13
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The "world" never been ideal, and never will it be. 'nuff said.
Old 30-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #14
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

ok, but that means that cds cant be damaged just by playng, but by playng in unideal world,
you probably dont understand me..
Old 31-12-2005, 12:46 AM   #15
Yobor
Hero Gamer

Yeah, I saw a Myth Busters episode where they tried to detonate a CD by spinning really fast (Like as fast as the higher speed drives). It's true, they will shatter.
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 31-12-2005, 12:53 AM   #16
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by punch@Dec 30 2005, 04:00 AM
My sega dreamcast viciously murdered every cd that came in its path.

At least it was easy to make copies of those.... :blink: LOL
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 31-12-2005, 09:40 AM   #17
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

what is myth busters?

and, when you play, you dont spin it very fast
Old 31-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #18
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrek@Dec 29 2005, 07:58 PM
CD ROM drives use lasers to read the data writen in the CD and CD Writers use lasers to burn info in to th media, so what's the diference between between a CD ROM and a CD Writer? It all lies at the "power of the laser", you'll need a stronger laser beam to burn a media.

Playing a CD over and over will cause the laser of the CD ROM drive to gradually contribute to the degradation of the CD track, and it all depends on the quality of the media and CD ROM drive ("cheap" CD Rom drives will probrably have "less" control quality at the laser mechanism, so there is a possibility that they can damage media more often).
That makes absolutely no sense when put in the context of how CDs and CD drives actually work. First of all, assuming that the laser did actually damage the media simply by reading it, what you're saying would only be true of (re)writable media. "Old-fashioned" CDs (manufactured read-onlys) have the data "bumps" actually fashioned into them during the manufacturing process whereas writable media works based upon heating and cooling special dyes.

It is because of this that two separate lasers must be used in a multipurpose (R/W/RW) drive. If the write laser (the more powerful of the two) was used for reading it would destroy any writable media immediately, not over time. The read laser, on the other hand, isn't powerful enough to alter the dye of writable media and thus wont cause any damage.

Now, there is a possibility that the dye itself might degrade in integrity over time, but that doesn't have anything to do with only reading the disc. Furthermore, rewritables cease to work after they've been rewritten enough times, but this also has nothing to do with simply reading.

As an aside, none of this has anything to do with the surface of the media; damage to which is caused by other means.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yobor
Yeah, I saw a Myth Busters episode where they tried to detonate a CD by spinning really fast (Like as fast as the higher speed drives). It's true, they will shatter.
Actually, not at all "like the higher speed drives." The MythBusters actually attached CDs to a Dremel, iirc, and spun them up to 40k RPMs or so before the discs shattered. A retail 52x drive spins at 10k RPMs. Their final conclusion was that it was only plausable for the CDs to shatter in a highspeed consumer drive if the disc was already damaged.

[Edit: fixed some numbers on drive speed]
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 31-12-2005, 06:22 PM   #19
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i definitly agree with phlix! k:
Old 31-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #20
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I'm more than tired to argue about the same thing, have it your way if it fits you.
Closed Thread