Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #21
jack07

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
MsDOS is a very simple, and powerful, operating system...
Great, I'll try to set-up MS-DOS in VPC then! Which MS-DOS version would you recommend? Will this one do?

BTW, I don't need to learn much syntax at all, since I'll be doing just two operations: copying the game's files from a CD to hard disc and starting the game. I already know how to do the latter (from using DOSBox), but if someone remembers the code for copying a folder from CD to C disc, I'll be very thankful

I'll include a step-by-step guide in my first post, if I manage to make it work.
jack07 is offline                         Send a private message to jack07
Old 04-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #22
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack07 View Post
Great, I'll try to set-up MS-DOS in VPC then! Which MS-DOS version would you recommend? Will this one do?
If maximum gaming compatibility is your goal then I would say MsDos6.22 and your VHDisk should be FAT16, not FAT32.
If you want more flexibility then the MsDos prompt gives you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4DOS

Quote:
BTW, I don't need to learn much syntax at all, since I'll be doing just two operations: copying the game's files from a CD to hard disc and starting the game. I already know how to do the latter (from using DOSBox), but if someone remembers the code for copying a folder from CD to C disc, I'll be very thankful
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
.... there are enough full featured tuto sites for MsDos on TeH intehnet.
http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DOS_commands
http://www.csulb.edu/~murdock/dosindex.html
.... etcetera
Look@ xcopy

BTW:
Quote:
BTW, I don't need to learn much syntax at all, since I'll be doing just two operations: copying the game's files from a CD to hard disc and starting the game. I already know how to do the latter (from using DOSBox),
ROTFLMAO.
And again ROTFLMAO.

You're a funny, so you think MsDos is kinda like dosbox ...... again ROTFLMAO.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 04-06-2010 at 06:56 AM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #23
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

To be honest, Norton Commander exists primarily to provide a user-friendly interface in DOS. You might want to check it out.

Also, not all games will tolerate having their data files just like that copied to a hard drive. You might have to adjust the paths in the game's config files or use CDEMU to mount the directory as a fake CD-ROM drive.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
jack07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
ROTFLMAO.
Well I'm happy to make you laugh, although I don't see what's so funny - the command Change Directory is the same in MS-DOS and DOSBox (cd and cd..). Anyway, your links are useful, thanks!

Why would you say that an older MsDos6.22 with FAT16 has more compatibility than the newest MsDos7.10 with FAT32? Just curious...

And how many MB of RAM and Disc space would you recommended to use on the virtual machine that runs MS-DOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Norton Commander exists
Cool! I'll check it out.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #25
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Quote:
Why would you say that an older MsDos6.22 with FAT16 has more compatibility than the newest MsDos7.10 with FAT32? Just curious...
Cause 6.22 was build to BE Dos.
Whereas 7.10 was build to have windows 9x run over it.

It's all in the total amount of backwards compatibility.
7.10 lack in there on some crucial points if I'm correct.

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #26
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Well I'm happy to make you laugh, although I don't see what's so funny - the command Change Directory is the same in MS-DOS and DOSBox (cd and cd..). Anyway, your links are useful, thanks!
Memory management to name only one.
Example: Comanche 1 won't run with Emm386 loaded, but: Wing commander needs Emm386,
In dosbox you simply input EMS= true/false and you're done, in MsDos you'll need to configure the memory manually.
To name a second: speed. No speed control .... not without slowdowners, some games will give you the 'divide by zero' curse.
And you may add a long list of problems.
There are in fact two main differences between dosbox and VPC:
->Dosbox is developed with gaming in mind, easy to use, and max comp to those games.
->VPC is mainly application oriented, not gaming. That games also run in VPC is a bonus, nothing more.

Quote:
Some (older) games won't even install/run on FAT32.
Also: Dosgames are created/coded to run on MsDos5/6, some won't be able to run with the newer memory managers that comes with Dos7. (Example: some versions of Dos4gw are extremely nitpicking).
Quote:
And how many MB of RAM and Disc space would you recommended to use on the virtual machine that runs MS-DOS?
RAM is not important, begin with a 8-16MB, you can change the setting in VPC should a game need more. 64MB is the max for MsDos6. ( more will simply be ignored).
Don't think 'the more the better', some games will choke on too much RAM.

Hard disk size ...?
FAT16: a 120MB?
FAT32: whatever you want.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 04-06-2010 at 10:11 AM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #27
jack07

I managed to make the Amazing Spider-Man work in MS-DOS. I set-up MsDos7.10 in VPC2007, installed DOS VM Additions from VPC2004, mounted a CD image with the game folder and successfully started the game.

Everything works fine, except I can't resize the game or make it full screen. I find this very strange, since I was able to resize the VM window when running XP. Does anyone knows how to solve this?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #28
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Everything works fine, except I can't resize the game or make it full screen.
Soooooo .... not *everything* isn't working fine, is it?
Google a bit and you'll find the answer yourself.
Relevant tips:
-> supported screen resolution (XP supports a lot more screen resolutions then MsDos ....) and graphic drivers for the S3 emulated vidcard.
-> Hardware compatibilities and full screen problems on modern systems.

Also, quoted for truth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
If you want to learn MsDOS, be prepared to learn from scratch. I personally don't miss DOS much, but once you know the syntax you're fine. Don't ask for general help. It's like saying, wow, what a nice set of Encyclopedias. What's in all of them? You may just get a boot to the head. If you want to do stuff the fancy way, be prepared to do your own donkey-work. Simple and suited to your needs is the best option, always. Occam's razor's sharp - you don't wanna cut yourself.
'nuff said.

And a next tip: google for VPC tutos and howtos, the intehnet is full of them.

My excuses if I sound a bit crude, it's not really meant that way, it's just you're the zillionst one who starts up such topics and it seems all you peeps expect MsDos to be some kind of dosbox.
As said before: it isn't, you will have to learn, you won't get it on a silver platter.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #29
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Just wait until he tries to juggle with conventional memory. *goes to make popcorn* this is gonna be fun xD
Old 04-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #30
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

This reminds me of back in early 2000's when I tried to modify my autoexec.bat and config.sys to make Flashback work with full sound.
Yeah, I did it. The computer did not implode. The operating systems still worked just fine. Just took a little reading and not a little stress.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman