Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #101
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

What exactly happens when you try to run it DOSBox? What exactly did you do when setting up DOSBox? Where did you extract the zip file?
Old 22-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #102

hey guys,

Thanks for trying to help - unfortunately still not working - please stick in there with me!

Firstly Sebatianos:

I don't have an E: drive, so substituted what you did with my C drive.

When I type in those commands, it says: "Drive C already mounted with local directory C:\dos\cddrive\"

and then wont let me continue with the next commands.

Any ideas?

Mighty Midget: What exactly happens? Nothing. I cant get far enough to allow it to start. It's like something just isn't right. Often I will get commands that say I can't do something - even though the tutorial says it should happen... so for a non-dos user like myself, quite confusing!

Appreciate all your help. Thanks.

-R

Old 22-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #103
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

OK, are you using any programs to manage DOSBox?
Did you edit the DOSBox.conf file already (so that it automatically mounts the C:\DOS\CDDRIVE\)?
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 22-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #104

It appears that may be a yes, if I understand your question correctly. I remember when I first installed Dosbox from abandonia, and went through the online tutorial, it taught me to configure something or other. To be honest, I just did what I was told.

But what I have noticed, (if this helps) is that when I am in Dosbox and starting with the command: mount c c:\"my directory thingy ma mobby example" it says that "Drive C already mounted with local directory C:\DOS\CDrive\

Secondly, when I type in "dir", I dont get my folder showing where the game is saved... thats why I can't seem to find the files... but the folder IS there, it just doesnt show in my dosbox dir...

Thanks for the continued help.

-R

Old 22-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #105
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

OK, look at your C: drive and try and find this folder C:\DOS\CDrive\
Copy the FG folder (from the downloaded Fantasy General zip file) into that C:\DOS\CDrive\ folder.
Then start DOSBox and type:
CD FG
FG
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 22-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #106

aah! Fantastic. U are my superhero.

Okay, so it's working, but without sound. Once I've dl the sound files from that other website, do I just put them in to my "fg" folder as is?

PS - thanks. I'm not presuming any more help (okay, I am).

Cheerz dude.

Old 22-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #107
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Not sure. Are they in a seperate folder (like SND or something)?
You should place them in C:\DOS\CDRive\FG\SOUND (the files only, not the folder)

But first just try and run the SOUND file before playing the game. Select Soundblaster and attempt to autoconfigure.
Old 23-08-2007, 06:36 AM   #108
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress (DRQ) 220

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #109

great game.

the only thing i dont like are some unit-names/decriptions - for example the stage AFTER Pikeman (heavy infantry) is LEGIONARII, and the next upgrade is then samurai or something ...

omg - what the *meep* !!!!??? legionarii and samurai replace my beloved and cool looking pikeman ??? ... --oh god, and the last stage of the skirmishers the "trail runner", roflmao - a fast running girl in short trousers or whatever ....

beside that, its a cool game, really. i love the idea of developing the units and the gameplay is overall much fun. pretty interesting the spell abilities and the magical items and that you can suffer dead and wounded, and with rest you can heal the wounded. thats nice. also the different abilities of the "general" and that stuff. really like the game.

btw, i played PGIID and PG as well (and edited also the EQP-Files and stuff, as well played mods etc) and must say that FG is NOT a PG clone, instead it is pretty original and different. however, the "look" is same - thats no bad thing though

the game is pretty entertaining, and i play it atm on hard difficulty, and the computer gives me a hard time sometimes, when he throws out 6 uberexpierienced-units per round or something. hehe, but my well developed army is fun to play with. and soon i wil have better and mightier units. really fun

Old 04-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #110

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Nov 17 2006, 06:21 AM) [snapback]267333[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
You can play fg with vmd and it works perfect with sound and good speed. Much better then dosbox.

BUT, you need to make a personal bat file. containing the following

cd exe
mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 barena n
cd..

This means you also gotta have the mouse2kv prg from vmdsound ready.

Good luck

stijnelijn
[/b]
btw, this hint here is fantastic.

download the MOUSE2kv programm in the internet (search with google) unpack it into the exe-folder (in FG-folder) and then edit the *.bat file as decirbed ... voila -- finally you can play the game with a fast-moving mouse

in "original"-mode it is basically unplayable -- well i still did it, but it really annoyed me to death and i almost would have not longer played the game.