Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
bubbles83

Default Your "Wow!" moments.....

Simply put, throughout your gaming lives, what are some of your "Wow!" moments. Those times when you knew (or didn't realize until years later)you were playing something that was transcendent in graphics, gameplay, storytelling, etc, or even just something that resonated with you in some way.

Just a select few of mine, in no particular order....I'm sure I'll add more depending on how long the thread goes....

(WARNINGL MAY BE A SPOILER OR TWO)

Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross....I can't gush enough about either of them....the multitude of endings in CT...the trial....the love story...reuniting Crono and Marle on Mt. Doom....in Cross....realizing the world in which Serge died is the REAL world....and his world is a dream.....

Final Fantasy X....from the cutscenes to the story....I played through the end many many times just to see Tidus reunite with his dad...and it is also the only game to ever make me cry.

Shenmue...one of the first console games I played with a true cinematic feel, incredible graphics for the time period, good story, martial arts theme....win.... so sad it never achieved what it was originally meant to be....

Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger: I had been in love with the WC series since the SNES days, this game done in the interactive movie style...I'll never forget the hours and multiple playthroughs I put in.

Bioforge: kind of a short experience, but an interesting concept and gameplay style nonetheless....

M1 Tank Platoon/F-18 stealth fighter...My first PC games, and some of my fondest childhood memories...even if I did have to turn the realism down for a LOT of stuff on F-19...looking back, it was incredibly detailed for its time....

Colony Wars/Colony Wars 2: Wonderful if typical story and graphics...although I hate games that give you multiple endings and then the sequel shows you the "real" ending. After that it just didn't feel right doing any other ending than the one shown in the sequel...

Warcraft 1/2/3 and Starcraft: I still read the manuals for these games for the lore by itself, never mind that the games are AWESOME....

Diablo/Diablo 2: Same as above.....

What are some of yours?

Last edited by bubbles83; 19-09-2010 at 02:07 AM.
bubbles83 is offline                         Send a private message to bubbles83
Old 19-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I had only a few "wow-moments", and most were on the BAD side. Here are the top:

Planescape: Torment - while playing it, it striked me: "this game is HUGH". Really, it was a looong game, and I always wanned something like that.

Might and Magic 6: after a looong time I again inserted it into my cmputer, and after all the highly developed 3D-engined games, all the realistic graphics and such, I just said myself: "this is game looks waaay more fantastic then anything I saw in at least 10 years!"

UFO - enemy unkown: after beating the 100th ufo-landing and having a highly trained group of soldiers a "hidden" stat appeared (psychic ability), the game refused to attack any landed ufos, I was stucked by a team of very low psychic-stat team, so I could never finish the last mission therfor. Terrible.

Spells of Gold: I said wow! Only 2 screen in the entire game (one for inside town and 1 for outside besides the world-map), only 3 type of enemies, hundreds of cargo to trade between some hundred cities - and where is the Grey Pass? Why is there magic and melee combat when bows are a zillion times more efficient? What are temples good for? Who thought this game is worthy to sell?

Diablo2: I went up to b.net in this season first, and after 6 month playing my character got pk-d in 1 second just for the heck of it. In hardcore mode. Come on! This game has the longest bug-list I've ever seen, and even if you can beat all those, you still have no chance???
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 19-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

Shenmue was probably a wow moment game for me too since it seemed so real and graphically detailed at the time.

And since I saw a World of Xeen post, that reminds me of thinking the Darkside end movie was one of the coolest sequences ever.

Black Cauldron had a huge effect on me and probably solidified my interest in computer games.

Ghostbusters was another one because of lots of "speech" in it.

King's Quest 3 due to the size and detail of the world and the little tweaks that made it seem a step above the previous games.

Space Quest IV because I think it was the first VGA game I'd seen. I saw a demo of it running in a computer store.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time for obvious reasons.

I'm sure I could think of lots of others, like Baldur's Gate. Back in the 80s and 90s, there always seemed to be a new game or genre or technical advancement that makes you think wow. I don't really have that much anymore though, maybe because I'm older or because games just aren't as good or creative. Last game that wowed me was probably Grand Theft Auto 3.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 20-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

"Wow" is a mild euphemism of what I exclaimed when I finally managed to run "Doom" on my system
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 20-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

The first time I played Duke Nukem 3D....I said alot of words..Wow was one of them.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 20-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
KrazeeXXL
BORG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
The first time I played Duke Nukem 3D....I said alot of words..Wow was one of them.
Absolutely! Same here. Had the demo version for one single day and was eager to show it to my best friends. Remember as it was yesterday. We had a free day from school because someone made a bomb threat there. (it wasn't me)

Liked the weapon sounds in general and the reload animation of the pistol.

Another game where I had some "wow-moments" was Command & Conquer, Jedi Knight and Rebel Assault.

Never bought Rebel Assault though but the demo version with it's fine videos kicked ass. But bought Tie Fighter instead . Better game imo.

I guess there are much more games with "wow-moments" worth 2be mentioned but this must've been the ones with the biggest "wow-moments" so far for me.
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 20-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
dosraider
Dismembered.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 21-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Pex
Game Wizzard

I've been playing wideo games for like 25 years now and every time coming accross a game that had something different to those before, I had a 'wow!' moment. Let's ignore my Commodore 64 days, but on PC:

Centurion - Defender of the Rome
Prince of Persia
Pool of Radiance
Civilization 2
Eye of Beholder 1 & 2
Colonization
Warhammer - Shadow of the Horned Rat
Realms of Arkania 2
Warcraft 2
Heroes of Might and Magic 2, 3 and 5
Medieval: Total War
Rome: Total War
Warhammer: Mark of Chaos

There were probably some others there that I can't think of now, but the biggest "WOW!" I had so far was with

Assassin Creed

And I didn't think I even liked games like that one...
Old 20-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
holydiver95
Abandonia nerd

let me think about one of my "WOW!" Moments.......

Well GP2 gave me sometimes big WTF and WOW moments cause the replay function of it sometimes strieked, so the effect could be positive or negative, I remember one race I drove: I lost a wheel after the start of the race and watched the replay (a simple 15 Second replay of the situation with no controls) and the game made a big crash in the replay (No it not chrashed but the cars, originally I only lost a wheel) in the replay someone crashed me, and I lost almost all parts of my car and my back, with my front I crashed the others and so on...
In the other GP games it's also...

in other games like Stronghold I got a awesome WOW moment: I burned all of my residents with one thing: Pitch (the burning one). The fire just came from the capitol building and one by one died, and after the fire I almost lost a half of my town :O but it was awesome to make mass destruction there xDDD

Old but still the best! - my favourit quote about Old Games!
holydiver95 is offline                         Send a private message to holydiver95
Old 21-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Vatx

Send a message via MSN to Vatx Send a message via Skype™ to Vatx

Hm, my "WoW Moments"... let me think for a while... ah yes, i remember my first PC game, Dukem Nukem 3D... it was non-stop Wow moment :3

Also GTA I i was like "Woah, i can go anywhere, i can do almost anything, wow, just wow"

Minecraft: This game is Non-stop wow moment, so awesome that words can't explain it.

The InFamous ending on PS3

Read Dead Redemption Ending (Well it was more tragic than wow but whatever)

Some moments in World of Warcraft

The last Wow moment was yesterday, when my Killing Floor already arrived, the game is so awesome...

Also Diablo, Diablo II, Starcraft, Warcraft 1-3, Toribash, X-Com, Heroes III, Crashday and some more :V