Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Abandoned Times
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: How high would you rate Issue 1?
0/5 stars 0 0%
1/5 stars 2 2.41%
2/5 stars 4 4.82%
3/5 stars 11 13.25%
4/5 stars 42 50.60%
5/5 stars 24 28.92%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #61
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Ask to add an extra tab, somewhere between 'featured games' and 'my account/forum' ... ?

Listen, I don't want to say that ABtimes isn't a good initiative, it is good, really.

But you can't add banners for every important function/sub on the site/forum.
Yeah except that ABTimes is a completely separate entity yet is tied to Abandonia so why couldn't we? We don't have anything else like it on Abandonia so I don't really see your point.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 16-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #62
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I don't see why we shouldn't add an extra tab for AB Times, if we can (can we?)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #63
Ranthalion75
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Skype™ to Ranthalion75

GREAT magazine guys! Keep them coming! Of course, larger next time. Just wish it could be 12 a year in hardcopy.

Thanks for the great mag!
Ranthalion75 is offline                         Send a private message to Ranthalion75
Old 18-06-2009, 02:12 AM   #64
Ranthalion75
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Skype™ to Ranthalion75

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
I don't see why we shouldn't add an extra tab for AB Times, if we can (can we?)
That WOULD be awesome!
Ranthalion75 is offline                         Send a private message to Ranthalion75
Old 22-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #65
Todbog
Forum hobbit

I really did enjoy the magazine. I regularly pick up a UK magazine by the name of Retro Gamer (which due to importing here in the U.S.A. is very...costly.) I advise checking it out for some layout tips and guidance.

Your Fallout Versus article seemed to use a different scoring track compared to the game reviews, so there was a little bit of a loss of continuity there, though that may have been intentional. What are the chances that you could put links to AB Times in the individual game sections when they appear in the magazine? That would serve to call it out in a subtle way, but it would serve to reinforce the message you are trying to send. Create a little graphic and place it under the download button so that people can see it and check it out. As the archive grows, it will become even more integrated with the site.

Just a few thoughts.

Last edited by Todbog; 22-06-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Todbog is offline                         Send a private message to Todbog
Old 23-06-2009, 03:41 AM   #66
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todbog View Post
I really did enjoy the magazine. I regularly pick up a UK magazine by the name of Retro Gamer (which due to importing here in the U.S.A. is very...costly.) I advise checking it out for some layout tips and guidance.

Your Fallout Versus article seemed to use a different scoring track compared to the game reviews, so there was a little bit of a loss of continuity there, though that may have been intentional. What are the chances that you could put links to AB Times in the individual game sections when they appear in the magazine? That would serve to call it out in a subtle way, but it would serve to reinforce the message you are trying to send. Create a little graphic and place it under the download button so that people can see it and check it out. As the archive grows, it will become even more integrated with the site.

Just a few thoughts.
I'll try to give it a good do-over for the next issue - if need be, it will get pushed back. The second issue needs to be full and big with a lot more content but also look crisper and more real. The first issue had severe limits in both time and content so I had to make do with what I had but now I already got twice as much content as I had for the first issue.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 14-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #67
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
The title says it all: please spill your guts. What needs improvement, what is missing, what should be left out?

Also, make sure to rate our magazine (starting with issue 1) using the poll.

The first issue is just a small taste of the next issues, however, so we're well aware that it's too short . Expect the next issue to contain 4-5 times as much easily.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/node/25024
A Personal Response

Where to start? I haven't made a post here at Abandonia for a long time. At last, I have something worth saying.

GREAT MAGAZINE GUYSZ ZOMFG11ONE!!ELDVEN!

Right, now that we have that out of the way let's get down to business.

I really like the idea of Abandonia Times, the opportunities it offers are endless. At last the so-so 'review ridden' front-page will have something that I want to 'read more' about.

One of the things that turned me away from Abandonia was that it felt pretty much like one big catalogue. A great catalogue at that, but still it felt like a 'shopping list' of old-school games. The reviews, ratings and reader comments were interesting for sure. However, at the end of the day Abandonia was all about the games. They stood by themselves.

That's not necessarily a bad thing but for people like me that follow the gaming industry, as much as the games themselves something was missing.

Following the 'modern industry' there's so much more to gaming than just the finished product. The developers, the community, the corporate conspiracies. It's a bit like one big soap-opera. All of those 'other bits' are interesting too.

Abandonia Times presents Abandonware fans with a an avenue to explore that side of gaming as well. We've always had the old games but now we have a place for the other old things as well. You know, a place for all those bedroom, bathroom and workplace discussions.

MARIO IS COOL BUT SONIC IS BETTER MANZ!!!

HALO PWNZ ALL MAN!

BUT IT'S 5D MAN IT HAS PIXEL 3.0 GRAFIX!

I really hope some of the writers will move into looking at the 'abandoned industry' as well. Exploring the themes,messages and mechanics of all those old gems as well.

Some actual feedback, at last

Moving on, and hopefully a little more on-topic.

I like the presentation of the magazine already. It looks fantastic. The features are great, and the general style is really good for a first effort.

However, there are a few things that bugged me. Some of the wording felt off in places. The way quotes were used is an example of this.

For the most part, my gripes with the 'written content' will hopefully be ironed out over time. There are just parts of the thing that feel 'Internet'. By which I mean there are words, or phrases used that I wouldn't expect to see in a printed magazine. They are few and far between but there are a few 'slip-ups' that remind the reader this in an internet effort.

I have noticed what I feel is a 'bigger problem' though. Some of the articles lack focus. It's hard to tell exactly what I should be taking away from what I am reading. I'll use the DreamWeb article to illustrate what I mean. (as it is an admin piece, and hopefully more open to constructive criticism)

Further Feedback For Thought

DreamWeb

In this article, we are introduced to a great looking game. What do we learn though? For people like myself that have not played the game before, it is hard to understand why this game is special. What makes this game worth playing?

Admittedly, the magazine is written for Abandonware fans so some familiarity with games in general can be expected. However, if the magazine aims to appeal to a wide audience it may be a good idea to make sure each and every article is accessible to a complete and utter Abandonware noob. In other words, make sure I can keep up?

How can this be accomplished? Talk more about the game in general. Try to avoid getting caught up in all the little details. Why does this game appeal to you?

From the article I assume that the setting and style of game appeal to the writer. Beyond that, there's very little the author mentions that really sells the game to me. A casual reader.

Instead, I am bombarded with small details that refer to the shortcomings of the game. A clumsy inventory system and a dated GUI (wasted screen space). As well as a final criticism of the overall length of the game.

Now, the author must have liked the game in order to tackle the task of reviewing it. There's something about this game, that makes it worth my time.

I ask, quite plainly. What is it?

The last few sentences of article hint at what define this game. '...game with an interesting story, aren't any other games quite like it... for Blade Runner fans, it may hit the right spot.

By this time, the reader has already been exposed to a few of the shortcomings of the game in painstaking detail. Why aren't the positives illustrated in a similar light?

I just feel the balance is slightly 'out' with this article. Which as I said earlier, hints at a possible problem with the magazine as a whole.

Each 'element' of the magazine must stand-alone. I shouldn't have to have played these games before to enjoy the article. I should take something away from what is written, even if I have never heard of Abandonware before.

A personal reflection on an old classic is great. Better suited for a blog or feature though. Not a review. If the Abandonia Times is aiming for a magazine feel, then the articles themselves need to have focus.

Remember, this is not a personal blog. You are writing for a reason, not just to let out all of your internal thoughts.

A Small Suggestion.

I have a small suggestion, that may help bring focus to each article:

A pretext. - Make sure each article has a purpose. Why is this article being written. What does it show, what is its function?

If the article is a review. Fine. Let's review.

Be sure to point out the pro's,con's, points of interest, etc.. but stick to reviewing the game. How you do this is up to you. Just make sure it gets reviewed. That is the primary purpose of the article.

If there are other things you feel need to be said, then be sure to include them. Just try and get an actual review of the game in there somewhere as well.

Again, using DreamWeb to illustrate my point:

Knowing that there's an infinite amount of items to pick up, and a small amount of screen space to work with means very little without context. I'm still asking myself, Why do I even want to play this game?

General Conclusion

As a whole, I was very impressed with the magazine. I hope my detailed feedback feels more like constructive criticism than mindless bashing. Hopefully a few of my points will ring true.

(This is a lengthy reply, that I may have to edit in the near future. I'm far to 'close' to it at this moment in time, to notice my mistakes. If anything is shouting at you, feel free to correct me.)

Good luck with your next issue.

- Sean

Ed-Note: My first post since 2006, that's how much I like this idea!

Last edited by Sean; 15-07-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 19-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #68
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hmm, anybody had a chance to read this yet?

I'd like to know if I was being overly critical, or if people agree with what I have said. I am planning to write a feature or two of my own. I will look for other ways to help out as well.
Old 20-07-2009, 05:00 AM   #69
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Hmm, anybody had a chance to read this yet?

I'd like to know if I was being overly critical, or if people agree with what I have said. I am planning to write a feature or two of my own. I will look for other ways to help out as well.
Yes. Thank you for your feedback. No, seriously. You're probably right, but I think red knows about these things already.
Old 20-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #70
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
Yes. Thank you for your feedback. No, seriously. You're probably right, but I think red knows about these things already.
Thanks for the reply. Fair Point, I'm sure he is already aware of some of the shortcomings of the first issue. As well as the many great things, and limitless potential of the magazine.

Sometimes, having an 'alternative' perspective written down helps when you are looking back over things. I'm writing a screenplay at the moment, and although I knew something was 'off' I couldn't quite pin it, or correct it until somebody else had pointed it out clearly for me!

I just wanted some sort of reply back, as I wasn't sure if I came off as insulting. Not my intention.

Really looking forward to the second issue, and I have a few ideas for my own articles already.