Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-12-2008, 01:39 AM   #21
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
(does .72 have a way of resizing the dosbox window to something OTHER than fullscreen?)
Yes, hit ALT-ENTER when you are fullscreen and DOSBox will turn into a normal Windows window. You should be able to resize it to whatever you want, but keep in mind that the emulation power needed to do that is way greater this way than fullscreen. Probably not a good idea for "modern" DOS games.
Old 31-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #22
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybrod View Post
does .72 have a way of resizing the dosbox window to something OTHER than fullscreen?)
Yes. "windowresolution=" in dosbox.conf allows you to set this. Best if you combine it with output=ddraw, though.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #23
kittybrod
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Yes. "windowresolution=" in dosbox.conf allows you to set this. Best if you combine it with output=ddraw, though.
Thanks, I don't like full screen because it tends ot really mess up the graphics, but the dosbox window is so small on my screen, it gives me a headache trying to see details in the game itself. I will have to download dosbox .72 and try that.
kittybrod is offline                         Send a private message to kittybrod
Old 31-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #24
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Thanks, I don't like full screen because it tends ot really mess up the graphics,
On the contrary, fullscreen always give you the original graphics...
Old 31-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #25
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

EoF: Not neccesarily. fullresolution=original can give an oddly distorted display. Using a fixed fullscreen resolution is recommended.
Quote:
I don't like full screen because it tends ot really mess up the graphics
There are two parameters in DOSBox.conf that can help.
First, "fullresolution=". Set it to 640x480 or your current desktop resolution.
Second, "aspect". Setting it to "true" adjusts the aspect rate in games which used 8:5 (320x200, 640x400) aspect ratio to 4:3 (320x240, 640x480).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 31-12-2008 at 10:21 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #26
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Hummm... Never ran into any similar problem. But it is true that new "strange" resolution settings might happen with new screens like flat screen and the like.
Old 31-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #27
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Not these. I had that happen with an old CRT (which used to have no problem displaying the games when hooked up to my first DOS machine).
Looked sort of like the display was upscaled basing on the height and a large part of it was cut off on the right side.

-- Reed Richards
Old 01-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #28
kittybrod
Forum hobbit

Quote:
EoF: Not neccesarily. fullresolution=original can give an oddly distorted display. Using a fixed fullscreen resolution is recommended.

There are two parameters in DOSBox.conf that can help.
First, "fullresolution=". Set it to 640x480 or your current desktop resolution.
Second, "aspect". Setting it to "true" adjusts the aspect rate in games which used 8:5 (320x200, 640x400) aspect ratio to 4:3 (320x240, 640x480).
I will have to try that.

Quote:
Not these. I had that happen with an old CRT (which used to have no problem displaying the games when hooked up to my first DOS machine).
Looked sort of like the display was upscaled basing on the height and a large part of it was cut off on the right side.
Well, i haven't had it cut off or anything like that, but when I go to full screen the graphics get grainy and it can be really hard to tell what is what, especially on some of the older games. if you want to know what I mean, take a small 128x128 picture and resize it to 512x512. They are still the same pic, you can usually sort of tell what the picture is of, but the larger one is blurry and some details are lost due to that blurriness.

I have a flat screen with my res set to 1280x1024 so taking it up to that size really messes the graphics up (and setting my res lower messes up my windows and such that I have open... or that I want to open)

Thanks for the tips, and I will download .72 tonight

EDIT: Downloaded .72 and while I can get the screen *slightly* larger, it won't go to the resolution size I set it at... but at least it is slightly larger (I tried from 640x480 all the way to 1024x768)

Again, thanks for all the help people

Last edited by kittybrod; 01-01-2009 at 02:27 AM.
kittybrod is offline                         Send a private message to kittybrod
Old 01-01-2009, 03:52 AM   #29
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Try setting 'fulldouble=true' (I think that was the line, anyway).

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 01-01-2009, 04:02 AM   #30
kittybrod
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumiuN View Post
Try setting 'fulldouble=true' (I think that was the line, anyway).
thanks, but that doesn't really help, I want the game to play in a window, but I want that window to be larger (I don't really want it full screen with all the black around it.

EDIT: does anyone have any indepth FAQ/help files on the dosbox config, like what is the output stuff? things like that. I think I might want the window resolution, but I am not sure that the output device supports it as it doesn't seem to be resizing the windo except for teh smallest amount

Last edited by kittybrod; 01-01-2009 at 04:04 AM.