Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #951
Grath

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Have you modified DOSBox configuration? How did you mount the game directory?

I have exactly the same error: if i start the game, i get the logos, the main screen and the character selection screen, where everything works. When i select a character, the screen goes black, and nothing happens. BTW, its the same if i launch the game directly or from DOSbox.

I didn't modify anything in DOSbox. I mounted like the "intro mount" stuff told me: "mount c c:\games\lands" then "c:" and finally "lands.exe"

I'm on Windows XP, tried it in Win95 compatibility and the same thing happens.

(Also, don't have any sound, but thats not that important so far, i just want to start the game.)
Grath is offline                         Send a private message to Grath
Old 16-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #952
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Don't...I repeat DON'T mount the lands folder as the C: drive, Dos games do not like that at all. Mount your C: drive as the Games folder.

I.E

Mount C C:\Games
C:
Cd\Lands
Lands.exe

Though I don't know if this will help with Lands of Lore as it seems to be a bit buggy with Dosbox for some people. But doing it anyway other then this will mean no matter what you do the game wont work properly.

This goes for any game you want to run in Dosbox, mount your C: drive as another folder other then the games folder.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 16-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #953
Grath

Tried it, same error.

I also tried a couple of things (0.73, 0.74, tinkered with some graphics options in the DOSbox ini), still nothing.

However i tried to patch it, downloaded the 1.23 english patch form some site, and it didn't work. It said that CHAPTER2.BAK is not the old (i guess it meant original) file, so it aborts the patching. Any ideas?
Grath is offline                         Send a private message to Grath
Old 19-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #954
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

hmmm, what are your core and cycles settings in dosbox? does it say anything in the second output window when the game freezes?

edit: i think i found it, try using dosbox 0.72 and see if it changes anything

edit²: oh i see. it seems that the game (rip?) has problems with faster processors. and the latter versions of dosbox introduced different types of cpu, so the default value `auto` will probably try to select the fastest processor possible

anyways, all you have to do, in dosbox, is to write this command before you start the game: cputype 386
should work afterwards

oh, if you don't feel like writing this every time you start the game, change it in the dosbox's configuration file

now let me put this info on the review page

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 19-01-2011 at 04:36 AM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.
Old 22-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #955
Laukku

I posted this earlier (emphasis added):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
This game will crash in DOSBox 0.73 (apparently it ran fine on the previous version.) I did some browsing at the official DOSBox forum, and found out that the game will not crash when cputype is set to 386.

Alternatively, one could use an official patch that fixes this along with other bugs. The patch can be found here. I would recommend the Abandonia staff to update the version available here using that patch.
Old 24-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #956
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

oh woah didn't see that
Old 26-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #957
Blaatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldplayer90 View Post
Hi, i am an old LOL player, in fact, this games was the first game that my parends bought me when i was my first PC (32mb RAM, 500mb HD and pentium II 660mhz), nearly 15 years ago.

Recently, i found the CD version lost in a chest with another table-games when i was just a kid and i decided play it again after see severals videos on youtube although neither of them show you all secrets could you find in this games.

there are severals misteries that nobody would know how to figue out:

- the empty niche of lvl 2 of daracle cave (jeweled dagger rute next to the swith that moves the pit)
- the plate that hides the niche where you can get the black biter dagger.
- Worn key open an, empty chest?
- Mine key 3 opens, nothing?
- Fancy lock (and the closed unswitch door of it) is impossible to unlock.
- The 4 wall switches in the 2º lvl of white tower (near of minotau) do nothing?
- Severals switches and plates do nothings in 2º lvl of castel cimmeria
- the hidden plate in the dungeon, that sounds activated but nothing happens in this place (this plate is at the top-right corner of the map near of the fancy tramp)
- the empty niche in the 3º lvl of castel cimmeria due to there is an unamovible pit in front of it.
- the no-exit hall in the top of the room when you are fighting against Scotia.

I thinks the official Cluebook from westwood did not give any help to solved them, the rest of the misteries is easy to resolve.

About some no-quest items i found in the games i get (all it depends of the game):

- horseshoe is found in northlands and southlands. It is useless.
- some coins in the main fountain of the galshtone castel and inside some lake in the northlands.
- a generic axe in a stumb in the cross of the hall of the black eagle and the 2 reptile monsters (always i found it before enter the black eagle) in southlands.
- a generic Halberd take from a pentrog
- a generic great maul in the empty niche in the urbish mine company co ( just in the south-bottom)
- a generic trident take from a gorka (kill them)
- a great axe take from great orc and undead skeletor (a silcke too)
- a great sword take from spectres lvl 3 white towers.
Hey there, I'm a veteran Lands of Lore player myself as well. Some comments on your post:
- About the empty niche in the Jeweled Dagger route, I think that if you put something in it, it will appear in another niche further down in the caves. Kind of pointless, really.
- The Worn Key only opens the empty chest, as far as I know.
- The Fancy Lock cannot be unlocked; there is no key in the game (even those that can only be obtained by cheating) that can open it. However, if you cheat yourself behind the door, you'll find a chest with a Zephyr Ring. It reduces your recovery time after attacking by about 1/2.
- Mine Key 3 doesn't work on anything I've tried.
- I think you can get the four buttons in White Tower level 2 make the shooter... shoot things at you.
- In White Tower level 1, if you succesfully pick the lock of the empty chest on your first try, it will NOT be empty.
- If you have a walk-through-walls cheat, you can find an unfinished area behind Castle Cimmeria (in the Yvel Woods). Apparently there was once meant to be a way to leave the Dungeons to the Yvel Woods in this area. I believe you can still find the stairs up in the Dungeons using the cheat.
- In Castle Cimmeria level 2, behind one of the switches that does nothing, there is an unreachable area with a chest. Inside it is a Cloud Ring. I think I once read it protects against fire.
- You may also find a coin in one of the puddles in the Southland Forest. You'll get a comment something like: "Ah, must be the end of the rainbow!". Maybe this is what you meant, 'cause I've never found a coin in one of the puddles in the Northlands?
- You can actually find up the three Halberds from the Pentrogs. I've been lucky enough to find two in one game.
- You might be lucky enough to get Trident "Mantis" from the chieftain. If you save and reload BEFORE you enter the chieftain's hut, you have multiple tries to get it. (This might also work for the Pentrogs if you save before going to Opinwood.)
- If you happen to have killed the Wraith that drops the Great Sword in the wall, you can click the wall to get the sword. Of course, you need to guess which monster it is.
- Similarly, you can get Great Sword "Eagle" from one of the ghosts in Castle Cimmeria level 1.

Old 27-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #958
strangedays

Default THANK YOU!!!

This was the very first pc game I played. Got for Christmas, only cause I loved Patrick Stewart (huge TNG fan).

To this day I have the original lands of lore cd.

However, after I download the game here I can't seem to get all that great audio to work. I've read over the dosbox wiki and I just can't seem to get this to work.

Is there anyone out there who might be willing to help me relive my childhood and tell me what commands I need to enter?

Thank you!

EDIT: I'm using Windows 7 if that makes any difference at all.

EDIT: Okay I got the game working with the audio. However, I ran into the same problem Strobe did on Page 2 of this thread (after hero selection screen goes black and won't come back), tried running the patch suggested by Flop on page 3, but I keep getting an error message Cannot find C:\...\patch.exe. (I was running it as an admistrator at the time.

Last edited by strangedays; 28-01-2011 at 12:59 AM.
strangedays is offline                         Send a private message to strangedays
Old 28-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #959
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedays View Post
This was the very first pc game I played. Got for Christmas, only cause I loved Patrick Stewart (huge TNG fan).

To this day I have the original lands of lore cd.

However, after I download the game here I can't seem to get all that great audio to work. I've read over the dosbox wiki and I just can't seem to get this to work.

Is there anyone out there who might be willing to help me relive my childhood and tell me what commands I need to enter?

Thank you!

EDIT: I'm using Windows 7 if that makes any difference at all.
which parts of the wiki did you read? did you read the step by step tutorial for newbies? http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Set...tion_of_DosBox
Old 28-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #960
strangedays

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
which parts of the wiki did you read? did you read the step by step tutorial for newbies? http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Set...tion_of_DosBox

Certainly did. Yes, I am that techno-illiterate. I didn't realise that i had to mount both drives. Please read my second edit in my orginal post. I got it working but ran into further problems (as Strobe did) but the patch wouldn't work.
strangedays is offline                         Send a private message to strangedays