Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #61
Capo
Unconventional member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
Hunvagy posted that earlier. I didnt comment on it, but now after actually watching it some more, that is bloody gorgeous. Almost like a different game.

How much horsepower does it need?
Is not heavier than oblivion, so a 6 years old pc can run it without problem.

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #62
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I still have MW with Tribunal & Bloodmoon installed but haven't touched it in a good while. It also had a few mods. Master Index, A Grand Abode, Pack Animal Merchant, Improved Bound and Unique Jewelry & Accessories.

One problem I had with these mods was that some of them messed up the game so that certain spells and magical trinkets didn't work properly. Cleaning up the game worked but by then I was already far into the main story with both Tribunal and Bloodmoon solved and I decided oh to hell with it, school came up and I left MW.

Now, I plan on revisiting it one day but I want it modded silly before I start a new game. Ok so not actually silly but I want to explore the game with as many top mods as I can cram into it, read about one where you could command your own ship like in Daggerfall: I want that one, if it works. Overhaul, certainly but does the overhaul go for the main island only or have they overhauled the expansions as well?

Reading Japo's and the other's reports will help when picking out the mods I want but here's the thing:

Can you guys, if you have successfully modded MW and the mod required some particular attention to get it to work, could you give a short, to the point description of how you made it work? Same if there are any conflicts between mods, great to hear about it and if there are any workarounds to avoid the conflicts. I hate conflicts.

Last edited by Mighty Midget; 05-06-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Mighty Midget is offline                         Send a private message to Mighty Midget
Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #63
Japo
Autonomous human

Default Attempted Morrowind mod tutorial

I don't know about the Overhaul, but most mods require you to have one or both expansions, because they have modded them too; there are very few mods for you if you don't have them. Still there are some mods that don't modify one or even both of the expansions.

I tried to do my homework and I extracted some guidelines and a software utility. I have no problems (after the ones I fixed, heh), except when I start the game I get a warning: "One or more plugins could not find the correct version of the master files they depend on." Perhaps one of the mods was built for a different version (patch)? After that I get no more warnings, except when I did something wrong, but I fixed that.

The most common problem people seem to encounter are the dreaded "yellow boxes" instead of graphics for some objects or people. I haven't seen them but they seem to mean missing content (files). Typically it means you un-zipped the files in the wrong folder. Mod files and folders must be un-zipped in the "data files" sub-folder of the Morrowind installation folder, but some mods come in zips containing the files and folders in the root, while others have a "data files" folder hanging from the root of the zip. So a lot of people end with their mod files in a ...\data files\data files\ folder that the game doesn't find. Surely we Abandonians won't fall in that trap after all our DOS games.

But yellow boxes could be caused by dependencies of the mod on other mods that you haven't installed. Read the readme file of the mod, although sometimes it's incomplete. May mods came into being in Morrowind forums where "everybody knew" at the time that this mod was made for that other popular mod.

Installing the mods starts with un-zipping the files in the "data files" sub-folder of the Morrowind installation folder (typically "C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\"). The only possible consideration here is if there's any overwrite.

Then you should be able to start the Morrowind launcher--the default shorcut installed in the Start menu, which doesn't launch the game outright but a menu with the options: "play", "data files", "options"... There you were supposed to go to "data files" and select/un-select the mods you want. The simplest mods are a single .ESP file, while the more complex ones are composed of a .ESM file and possibly several .ESP ones. The .ESM files are "master" files, basically on par with the official expansions Tribual.esm and Bloodmoon.esm (so you can also un-select one of both of those), and the core data file Morrowind.esm; except o course that all mods will depend on one, two or all of the Bethesda data files. The .ESP files are called "plugin" files.

This (launcher > data files) may work, specially for simple mods--including the official ones from Bethesda, all of which should work without problems this way. But in complex cases a number of problems may appear, because of conflicts between arbitrary mods. Also you have no way of controlling the order in which the files are loaded, and in that case if several mods change the same thing, the last change trumps the previous ones.

There are some software utilities that can help. The most famous one seems to be Wrye Mash, which is the only I've used. It can do a number of things. First of all it can do something called "merge leveled lists", which should harmonize conflicts between some complex mods that modify the game's "leveled lists"--whatever those are. It can also control the load order. And it can fix saved games so they work with a different set of mods than the one the game was started, hopefully.

The original Wrye Mash (it was made by a guy who went by the name of Wrye) depended on Python, and a very old version at that, and I couldn't find it: the link at Wrye's website was dead. Fortunately I found a version of it someone else made, that's standalone (it has all dependencies included so you don't need to install anything else). I found it here.

Last edited by Japo; 07-06-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 05-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #64
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Personally I use TesTools to solve mod-conflicts and so far it seems to work pretty well. And its easy to use too.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.co...s.detail&id=34
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #65
Japo
Autonomous human

I solved the doubling. I hadn't installed the horse ranch properly, not sure why it affected stuff far from it; but in the ranch itself everything was doubled. The zip came with a .ESM and a .ESP, I didn't read the readme and checked both. I checked back at the tavern in Pelagiad for example, and the doubled NPC was fixed there too.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #66
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Is not heavier than oblivion, so a 6 years old pc can run it without problem.
Actually it depends on what you set it at the very first step. I tried the 1.x last year, and it killed my X2-550 to 14 fps outside with water foam on and 15 cells distance. The 2.0 Has a slider for your rig, so could set it up to a comfortable 40 fps without any hickups. Mind you I have a 2.6 Ghz processor and 8 GB RAM, and as GPU I have a HD5750. And it is stunning. But as all Morrowind graphical mods, it is extremely CPU heavy, as the morrowind executable can't do multi threading.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #67
Capo
Unconventional member

Why Oblivion Sucks

https://sites.google.com/site/damicat/

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #68
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Every one of those reason I can turn into an argument of why Oblivion rocks. Nice going damicat. First mistake you made is deriding a game for not repeating exactly the elements of a previous game, second mistake is that you expect Dungeons & Dragons out of a TES game, third mistake is calling it dumbed down while you had problems figuring out the controls, fourth mistake is forgetting to have fun in a game.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #69
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I know people who pile on the hate of Morrowind for not being Daggerfall 2. If people don't like Oblivion that is up to them, I do. All TES games have faults, large ones at that too, but the game itself is always fun and enjoyable and that is all I ask from them. And if you want to mod Oblivion go for it, seems no one here can or wants to play Morrowind without mods either.

As far as I think without Oblivion opening up the market of TES games to a wider audience we would never have gotten Skyrim, or at least they would never of had the budget to make it as big and well as they did. Not to mention once again Shivering Isles came out with Oblivion and it has to be one of the best DLCs/Expansions ever made.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #70
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Actually a post like that not worth its salt.
Before even considering isntalling a game a nowdays player look up the internet for rewies and firsthand player-experiences, and according to those (s)he mades the decision about the game.

The game is buggy? Has a linearity built in? Timed? The main quest is a joke?
Well, if someone decides to have the game still, it means that person gives squat, and think able to deal with it!
For Oblivion definitly a lot of gamers decided the supposed problems means nothing to them, won't ruin their joy.

And it's not someone asked opinion wether it worth playing the game or not, right?

Eg. I recently bought Hunted: the Demon Forge despite it having some bad words like repetitve fighting and such. You know what? I wanned repetitive fighting to replace with a console-like modernlooking game my Diablo2 (and to test wether an 500MB videocard can be forgotten if I have 500GB HDD). And until now it satisfies me.