Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #81
Japo
Autonomous human

bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo almost two years ago :E View Post
A week ago I started playing a game called Skyrim, which was apparently a big thing years ago, :P and boy I am impressed. 10/10. I started just after finally finishing Oblivion, and what a huge difference.
Following my old man habit (as happened with Morrowind and Daggerfall) of getting fatigued of these (great) bigass games and being unable to finish them in one go, dropping them for months, later picking up the save, maybe dropping and repeating this a few times until I even finish the main quest after real-life years of having started...

That time I didn't finish any big quest, but I just picked up Skyrim back again some days ago. I've finished the annoying vampire extension, advanced the main quest a lot (kicked Alduin's ass once -- how the Hell was he supposed to be able to flee combat if I knew Dragonrend? Plot hole...), become archmage, liberated Skyrim from the empire, currently trotting Solstheim (much better than in the sub-sub-par Bloodmoon). Equipment etc. maxed up... Still loving this game, and this time I can finish I think.

As slow a player as I am, I am going to need another Elder Scrolls game some day. I may even try Online, even though I've never played any online multiplayer game, specially since it appears to be a really open-ended game in the genuine Elder Scrolls spirit; and I can't wait to see the lore and scenery they have come up with for a game set in the whole of Tamriel for the first time since Arena. I only don't like from the media I've seen, that it seems to be more cartoony than previous TES games, and a lot of creatures have been introduced which were never in TES lore, but seem to come from D&D's generic monster catalog.

However what I would still really love first of all, is if I could play a remake of Daggerfall that, besides updating graphics even if only in resolution, specially fixed the issues of the original game in dungeon navigation. I know there is little or no chance since the Elder Scrolls world and lore accumulated from games so far can provide Bethesda with unlimited material to make new games. Even from fans the closest thing seems to be this dead project, which wouldn't seem to fix the dungeon problem.

PS
Skyrim pics!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dqdhz298w...akB84_U7a?dl=0

Last edited by Japo; 28-01-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 29-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #82
Capo
Unconventional member

a remake of daggerfall would be awesome!

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 29-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #83
Japo
Autonomous human

The main problem with dungeons in Daggerfall wasn't even the auto map, but that they make no architectural sense. Many games e.g. Tomb Raider have no map and still you can find your way like in real life. In Daggerfall castle corridors and halls are laid out like random mines or caves, with arbitrary 3d space in between, such buildings could never exist.

So a good remake would mean not only remake the graphics, but also every quest dungeon map and the random dungeon generator. This isn't doable as a fan project. And Bethesda will probably keep releasing brand new games, they do have unlimited setting material to exploit, even in the continent of Tamriel alone, and some day they'll make a game in Akavir or even Atmora, and they can keep using Oblivion realms.

However Daggerfall is the game that started the whole lore. I love to re-play it despite the graphics, except the dungeons are too damn terrible. Too bad.
Old 19-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #84
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
However what I would still really love first of all, is if I could play a remake of Daggerfall that, besides updating graphics even if only in resolution, specially fixed the issues of the original game in dungeon navigation. I know there is little or no chance since the Elder Scrolls world and lore accumulated from games so far can provide Bethesda with unlimited material to make new games. Even from fans the closest thing seems to be this dead project, which wouldn't seem to fix the dungeon problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
So a good remake would mean not only remake the graphics, but also every quest dungeon map and the random dungeon generator. This isn't doable as a fan project.
As much as I love Daggerfall I believe that to truly fix all its issues would mean to create a new game from scratch, putting to practice all the lessons learned from Daggerfall's shortcomings.

The dungeons aren't the only problem, although they probably have the most game breaking potential. Generic towns are equally randomly generated and as can easily ruin the immersion once the player notices the repetitive patterns, random quests all too often get tangled in themselves etc. etc.

However, I do believe that it is quite possible to rectify these and other problems within the framework of a fan/community project.