Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these fine games would you like to see an awesome movie of?
Lengend of Kyrandia series. 2 2.47%
Monkey Island series. 17 20.99%
Sam & Max. 8 9.88%
Full Throttle. 5 6.17%
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. 30 37.04%
Loom. 5 6.17%
Death Gate. 3 3.70%
Eric The Unready. 1 1.23%
Maniac Mansion. 4 4.94%
Quest For Glory series. 6 7.41%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #31
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
...20 years ago with a younger Harrison Ford...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Ford is 70 effing years old.
What's worse than old Ford, is that Lucas (who has his greedy sweaty hands on the franchise) and Spielberg have gone old and mad, thus unable to make proper Indy movie anymore, even if we had cloned 30something Harrison.

New blood?

Then show me an example of a good Indy-like movie to prove someone has what-it-takes to do it. All we got were pathetic mutations such as Tomb Rider (and mind that I did enjoy the game) or National Treasure (I'm not even going to mention cheaper ones made-for-TV or that German series about librarian etc.).
The closest thing in Indy style (I'm not talking only about 1930s, but also cinematography, music, pace, everything) was Rocketeer, but that was again, 20 years ago!
Laugh it up that I'm ranting like Eagle of Fire, but provide an example someone still can do it the old style.

Quote:
Plenty of different actors have played 007 and it's not a bad thing, it doesn't really get in the way of people identifying the character.
Really? Because for me each time he is completely different. Like he's just a concept, not a person. What's common it's that he's always a rich jerk.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 07-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #32
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Indiana Jones was not the norm for that time either, it was a re-imaging of the serial movie shorts that used to be played in theatres from the early movie days. Kinda like a TV show it would have a small run time and only be part of a story, but with high action to keep people entertained even if they hadn't seen the others.

To be fair I wouldn't even want anyone else ever making this kind of movie again, mainly due to looking back on it the movies aren't that good. They have poor stories and all end with Deus Ex Machina solving the problem (The Ark kills all the bad guys, the army saves Indy and the Grail just happens to fall down the crack...and just happens to pass the magic line for that crack to appear) and well the characters just aren't that likeable either.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #33
Karterian

I'd like to see Full Throttle as a movie. That would really be cool. On second thought i'd like to see Sam & Max Live Action Movie with a real dog and a real rabbit. oh, well... Yes, Full throttle it is.

As for Indy 4, with no Harrison Ford, there is no indy and he is too old for an other movie i guess.
Karterian is offline                         Send a private message to Karterian
Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #34
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I'm going for Loom. But I know it would be terrible. Has there ever been an objectively good video game to film made?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #35
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Mortal Kombat. While not the greatest movie ever it did amazing things with the games idea. So amazing that some of it ended up in the games, like Kano being Aussie. It also took the characters changed them a bit to give them character growth over the movie and changed the story a bit to give it the same.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #36
WhiteZombie

Indiana Jones for me, but not with Harrison Ford. As for a replacement, after watching Firefly (way too shortlived series) and seeing Nathan Fillion play Mal Reynolds (I think a much better Han Solo, tha Han himself), I always thought that he would be good for the role of the famous Archaeologist.
WhiteZombie is offline                         Send a private message to WhiteZombie
Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #37
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Indy with no Harrison Ford?

As for me, not an easy choice. Seems the only games I can remember on that list are the MI games. As someone else said though, it would have to be more than solid to be worth it: Monkey Island the SitCom is a horrifying idea.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #38
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane View Post
Has there ever been an objectively good video game to film made?
Passable at best (Max Payne?), usually from bad to terrible.

Speaking of Max Payne, why hadn't they use the recurring theme music? Can you name a movie made after a game which re-used in-game musical motifs? Such an easy way to trick the audience "hey, it's just like the game you loved!" and they always fail to use it!
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #39
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
These are all adventures, next time we should make a poll with the same question about non adventures. I was thinking about X-COM, Star Control, The Elder Scrolls, Gateway (adventures)... And yes, Flashback of course.
Far as X-Com goes, you should have a look at the fake trailer on this guy's channel. Some of the other game-related trailers he's got there are fairly neat too.

Quote:
Speaking of Max Payne, why hadn't they use the recurring theme music? Can you name a movie made after a game which re-used in-game musical motifs? Such an easy way to trick the audience "hey, it's just like the game you loved!" and they always fail to use it!
Far as game adaptations go, the anime based on Power Dolls used slight variants of in-game tunes. Works very well during the introduction.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 07-02-2012 at 07:07 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #40
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Far as X-Com goes, you should have a look at the fake trailer on this guy's channel.
Not bad at all!