Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forum Games
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

Kind of surprised this game isn't at Abandonia since it's not for sale anywhere and seems abandoned with no sequel on the way. Although maybe it's still sitting in Microsofts IP dungeon lol.

I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuge Freelancer fan (so much so I run a fb fan group haha). Fans still mod it to this day creating cool stuff but somehow this great old game never got a sequel.

There's a number of 'similar games' out there that are pretty good (eg I play the X games) but the number 1 closest I've seen yet is a brand new game called Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. It's CRAZY how close to Freelancer it is. The main character is even named Juno lol! It's got planetary landings and space bars, even optional mouse steering like Freelancer had.

This guy has done a good video review of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abmolH6sSy4

Here's some sexy screens I found around the net:

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- MovieTV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation
Blake00 is offline                         Send a private message to Blake00
Old 26-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #12
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

It's funny, there I was getting all excited about Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and then someone over in the Freelancer Facebook group posts a video of an even more Freelancer looking game called Starpoint Gemini 3!

I'd noticed the previous Starpoint Gemini games before as they had space combat, trading on stations and even some planet landing stuff however they still felt a bit different eg more of a big ship tactical combat game. However for this new game it looks like they've totally gone in a pure Freelancer style fighter game direction (which I think has upset some of their past fanbase but hey its great for us FL fans haha) with all the cool FL stuff like landing on planets and space stations to trade and visit their seedy space bars for work! It also has an interesting (unfinished) side game where you take control of a small probe infiltrating derelicts and space stations avoiding security systems that sort of reminds me of some of X2 – The Threat’s side missions.

The game is still in early access on steam so naturally it lacks polish but is already looking absolutely gorgeous!! The only fault I have with its otherwise stunning graphics are the very plastic mannequin like people but apparently the devs have said they'll be fixing that.

This guy has done a good video preview of it:

Here's some sexy screens I found around the place: (Click to expand)

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/stea....1920x1080.jpg

http://reboot.hr/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/sg3.jpg

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Emulation

Last edited by Blake00; 26-09-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:28 PM   #13
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

We've got another Freelancer like game coming lol! This time it's Everspace 2!

The sequel is looking even more amazing than the first one did. The whole rogue like randomly generated galaxy put me off playing the last one but it sounds like they're going proper open world detailed pre-made galaxy like good old Freelancer this time around! And the planet surface areas look awesome too! Naturally it made it's Kickstarter funding total without too much trouble!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s/everspace-2/

This guy has done a good video preview of it:

Here's some sexy screens I found around the place:

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation
Old 20-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #14
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

Here's another Freelancer like game that's not new but is still being updates with new content - X4 Foundations.

If it wasn't for Freelancer I would never have probably heard about the X series as being a little German studio they seem to go under the radar a bit. One of my mates who got me on to Freelancer in 2003 said "hey I found a game series just like it" and that was it, I was an addict lol. God knows how many hours I've put into the X series over the last 15 years.. and I'm still way behind in them due to my OCD urge to do and see everything haha! These days every man and his dog is making Freelancer like games but back in the 2000s and early 2010s there wasn't that much out there so the X series (particularly X2 and X3) was my way of dealing with Freelancer withdrawal symptoms lol. Sure they didn't have the great story and awesome planet landings Freelancer had but the ships and planets were gorgeous and the game universes huge. Being able to become a business mogul and build my own empire of stations and fleets of capital ships to whoops ass with was particularly fun and addictive for me. I've even been reading the X novels over the years to immerse myself in their universe further (although I'm gonna get stuck soon as they're not all translated to English haha).

Well anyway those who are familiar with X games will also know that pretty much every game they release is practically a friggin disaster at launch lol with endless bugs and broken or missing features. Then rather amazingly unlike most studios they then spend years releasing patches and addons to the games until after around 2 or so years the game is friggin awesome lmao! Sure enough X4 has followed that path and they recently released the first addon for X4 Split Vandetta which appears to be quite an improvement over the messy vanilla release. No doubt they'll be more coming too over the next few years. Presumably Egosoft must make their money back through addons as I don't know how those guys survive the bad first releases and somehow keep going. I think the first X game came out in 1999 so its over 20 years now haha.

I don't own the game yet as I've been holding out of a physical collectors release (yeah I'm one of those old weirdos lol) which is probably not going to happen as they've said they can't afford it these days sadly but nevertheless I've been drooling over their videos lately to build some anticipation for the inevitable digital only purchase lol. I like how you can walk around the bridge of your capital ships while station construction looks way more advanced than previous games with you putting together all the modules yourself into whatever custom setup you want. Then of course you can walk around them and hire staff and mercs etc.

Trailer for the recent Split addon looks cool...

And now they're doing a video series talking about each aspect of the game..

Trading

Fighting

Building - this is the kind of customizable station building I dreamed of while playing earlier X games and Freelancer.

Think (Missions) - The mission management system in X3 Terran Conflict was a huge upgrade from X3 Reunion & previous games. Every time I'd play those older game sifting through endless cr*ppy news about spawnling donations and people laying eggs etc trying to find decent missions I'd find myself screaming "WHY DON'T THEY DO THINGS LIKE FREELANCER" lol and thankfully Egosoft eventually listened. The X4 version looks similar to the excellent X3TC one but just better organised and with more variety which is fine by me lol!

Explore - the exploring spooky derelicts part looked cool and reminds me of the stuff Star Citizen are toying with, except this game is actually finished haha (well sort of lol).

Strategy - this was one of my favourite things about X3 Reunion onwards (X1-2 it was much harder due to more simplistic system views).. sometimes I would park my ship for days and not go anywhere and just spend my entire playing time in the system views directing my fleets, managing resources, and building stations just like a game of Sins of a Solar Empire.

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation
Old 05-04-2021, 06:42 AM   #15
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

Forgot to post about this here.. X4 has got a new addon on the way! The Terran's are back!

I'm kind of surprised that Egosoft didn't do a Boron expansion (using fan suggestions on how to achieve their look and mobility in non-liquid environments) and then put in a bit of a cliffhanger story ending with a Terran tease, so you could then save the Terrans for a big stand alone game with a new story like they did back in the day with Terran Conflict (same engine but separate to X3 with a sexy cliffhanger to bridge the games). Reckon they would have made more money in the long run IMO even if some fans would have hated having to buy a new game again though of course haha.

Also I was drooling over this video below the other day. The 'Pilot' youtube guy did very sexy video on the Split Raptor supercarrier haha.. my god when the sun reflects off it like that... drools. And those dark red C&C NOD like interiors.. oh baby lol. Can almost see why all those crazy people bought gorgeous super expensive ships in Star Citizen lol!.. almost.

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation
Old 21-04-2021, 03:17 PM   #16
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

Looks like X4 Cradle of Humanity is out now. I can't run the game on my old rig so I'm drooling over all the videos appearing online instead lol. As usual it was pretty buggy on release but it sounds like most of the issues have been fixed already.

Planet terraforming looks cool:

New launch trailer:

I've always loved the soundtracks to past X games and still hum many of the songs after all these years lol.. the new one sounds amazing:

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation
Old 24-12-2022, 12:26 PM   #17
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake00 View Post
I'm kind of surprised that Egosoft didn't do a Boron expansion (using fan suggestions on how to achieve their look and mobility in non-liquid environments)
Quoting myself here lol as they finally done it! Egosoft are creating another addon pack for X4 and are bringing back the water based Borons! I've been asking for this for years and years! Every time people would say it's impossible I'd pitch my 'stations with separate water areas and Boron encounter suits for the normal dry areas' idea and how it could work in the X4 engine. So to now see that they've actually done that and made it a reality makes me so happy, as this is pretty much what I pictured in my mind years ago. And I loved the extra touch of redoing the good old Kingdom End music too.

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation