Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #11
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

It's so good to see somebody who doesn't take the least bit of interest in programming and who's never ever set foot in here come in here to post, especially after Tai's just been here. So, welcome to the Programming forum.

As for what you said, I suggest you re-read my previous post, as it explains exactly why what you just said just isn't true. You're basically saying the same thing as Tai did, and repeating what others said before, doesn't prove that what they said is wrong.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 20-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #12
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Sorry for being ON-topic here.

It looks good! Even people without programming skills should be able to create a nice game with this. I bet Tom could whip out some kewl pixel-graphs for games like this... i myself suck at pixeling... Ah well.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 20-04-2006, 06:19 PM   #13
taikara
Abandonia Homie

@Reup: I agree I think it'll be nice to have more options for easy-to-use engines in different styles. I wonder how well it will end up competing with AGS?

I suck at pixelling myself, so it's pretty much AGS or do-it-yourself if I ever decide to go ahead and endeavor to create a game. I have been working on honing my graphics skills in the meantime, though :P
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 20-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #14
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

The EGA version of SCI Studio has a basic Paint environment for drawing the graphics, even the sprites. You could pixel them, but can just as well draw them (with primitive tools, but it's still something). Might want to give that a try, if you've got the talent and are up to learning some very basic programming (shouldn't even be that hard to learn once you know C++, Java or VB)
Old 20-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #15
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by taikara+Apr 20 2006, 07:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (taikara @ Apr 20 2006, 07:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I suck at pixelling myself, so it's pretty much AGS or do-it-yourself [/b]

you could also look into the Wintermute engine (which was used in The White Chamber which is on Reloaded). That engine allows pretty hi-res graphics and even some 3d-ish stuff.

<!--QuoteBegin-Tiki

The EGA version of SCI Studio has a basic Paint environment for drawing the graphics, even the sprites. You could pixel them, but can just as well draw them (with primitiv tools, but it's still something). [/quote]

I wonder how good it would look if you just scanned in a photograph and did some tweaking in Photoshop to tone down resolution and palette. I might try something like that out. Better then drawing by hand or pixeling going by my skills. I could imagine making renders in Blender/Max using limited amount of colour and just decrease the resolution to 320x240 and use that stuff as backgrounds... then I'd only have to doodle the props and chars myself (only...).
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 20-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #16
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

I know that AGI's background drawing tools have the option to load a PCX-file as background, which you can trace over. I'm not sure 'bout SCI Studio EGA, but it could be that that option's there too. I doubt it'll be able to load different graphic formats than the SCI resources. I'll have to double-check on this, to make sure, though.