Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-04-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Now I'm pretty sure this has been brought up in some of the religion threads, but I'm not sure it was fully elaborated on, I hardly ever read the religious ones so forgive me if it has, and I'm only bringing this up as I had quite a big discussion about it with a friend.

So do you think one man(including women) can make a difference, do you think everything happens for a purpose, can one small descision altar the course of history?
Or do you think that the majority of us mean nothing, that we have no affect on the larger scale of things?

I believe that me personaly has no effect on the larger scale of things, that no matter what I do with my life the same thing will happen to the world. It wouldn't matter whether I decide to kill myself right this instant or whether I decide to live on and find someone to love and start a family. Sure depending on what I decide I could influence other peoples lives, but how can that effect the whole world, how can it change the course of history?

Let's say there is a person who can change the world, make a big impact on it(I will call him Jack), and lets say that there is someone(I will call her Jill) who was in my position of deciding whether to live or not to live. If Jill chooses to live on she could meet this Jack and influence his life in a way that will make him become insignifcant to the world, to not become that important person he could have been if Jill had decided to kill herself earlier. But there are many, many other people in the world, some think very similar to others and some think completely different. But what is stopping someone else(I will call him Pete) who thinks very similarly to Jack from doing a similar thing to what Jack would have done if Jill had decided to kill herself. Because Jill decided to live on she has changed Jacks life and his impact on the world, but has let Pete become that person that Jack could have been. In the long run Jill's decision to live or not to live has not made any impact on the world, the same thing would have happened whether she lived or died. Her life makes no impact on the world.

This is the way I see the world, I don't see my life as having an impact to what is going to happen, and I am perfectly happy with that, I'm just going to try and enjoy the life I have been given. And no I'm not going to kill myself, I'm to scared to take my life.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 20-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
TheSmyth
Abandonia nerd

Maybe the decision whether or not to live or die wouldn't impact on the world, but if you did live the choice of your actions probably could.

E.g.
1) You decide to live, and want to be a scientist... "You discover cold fusion". Big impact on the world... True, somebody would've discovered it one day anyway, but it wasn't them, it was you, and you dd it now, instead of in another 300 years.

2) You decide to live and end up being a soldier.... You're accidentally shoot someone while "peacekeeping"... world war 3 starts. You're name might not go down in the history books, but you'll still have had an impact.
TheSmyth is offline                         Send a private message to TheSmyth
Old 20-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
irrelevantjet
Abandonia nerd

as you go through life you meet different people and affect their lives in some way... whether it be small or large..

there is no way you can go through life and not make an impact..

everything happens for a reason, and everything affects something else
irrelevantjet is offline                         Send a private message to irrelevantjet
Old 20-04-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSmyth@Apr 21 2005, 01:32 AM
Maybe the decision whether or not to live or die wouldn't impact on the world, but if you did live the choice of your actions probably could.

E.g.**
1) You decide to live, and want to be a scientist... "You discover cold fusion". Big impact on the world... True, somebody would've discovered it one day anyway, but it wasn't them, it was you, and you dd it now, instead of in another 300 years.

2) You decide to live and end up being a soldier.... You're accidentally shoot someone while "peacekeeping"... world war 3 starts. You're name might not go down in the history books, but you'll still have had an impact.
See thats the thing, with the first it would still be discovered, no matter what you do you couldn't change the fact that it will be discovered, that is the point I'm trying to make.

The second thing, peace never works, I believe World War 3 will come one day. Whether by me or someone else, it doesn't matter who.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 20-04-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
Danny252
I have a custom title!

We all make an impact, just maybe not as large as others.
Old 20-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well it would be very egocentric to think that what you personaly do can have an impact on the entire world. I mean - how can you influence a guy in distant Somalia - who never did (and never will hear of you - or many people with much more influence on the happenings in world).
But will your life make a difference?
Maybe you'll have kids and their great-grandchildren will do something so importaint that they will change the entire world (you can't know it).
But to answer that second question - if it weren't for you would somebody elses great-great-grandchildren do the same? Maybe. Maybe not.
Maybe it will be your influence that will lead them to that wonderful thing that will change the world. There isn't another you in the world; and it might be just that slight difference between you and the person most similar to you that will be crusial for changing the world.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 20-04-2005, 09:14 PM   #7
Danny252
I have a custom title!

But imagine, if Scarecrow didn't post this topic, we wouldn't be discussing this now. who says we would, ever? There are a million and one un-discussed things on this forum.
Old 20-04-2005, 09:17 PM   #8
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Yes, but I'm guessing tha won't really effect the large scale. It might though once we form the abandonia world domination team... :twisted:
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 20-04-2005, 10:29 PM   #9
The Levitating Nun
Game Wizzard

I like the idea of Abandonia world domination team, it could go with Abandonia help squad.

I like to think I can make a difference to people's lives around me, I hope they'll remember with good thoughts and with reference to my hair and scarf, maybe I won't be famous or discover something great but as long as I make a difference to at least one person then I feel as though I've achieved something. If we were all famous we wouldn't have anyone looking up to us so we can't all be great and well known but we can be known in small communities like Abandonia.
The Levitating Nun is offline                         Send a private message to The Levitating Nun
Old 20-04-2005, 11:02 PM   #10
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

you never know if anyone's looking up to you - for instance i admire a lot of people on this forum, particularly those who are talented artists because that's something i've always been mediocre at, and those who are multilingual because that's something i really aspire to (damn crappy british language teaching)
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone