Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

Default Art in games

Helo there,

I have been wondering whether the artistic value in games is disappearing. I have always been very attracted to things like great writing, beautiful hand drawn graphics, memorable soundtracks, voice actings, etc. It seems that a lot of people used to put real effort in producing pieces in these categories, eventually creating some really good works. Modern games seem to lack these features, it's either a focus in technical details like graphical technology and silly gameplay features, or "realistic" visuals, which are a boring copy of reality. Have artists been scared away from gaming industry?

I have opened this thread actually because I am looking for new games with such features. It seems that looking for them at mainstream products is a waste of time...

So, any suggestions?
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 15-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh_sabugs View Post
..I have been wondering whether the artistic value in games is disappearing....
Not always.
Keepsake was kinda swell done.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 15-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Amanita Design makes beautiful looking games that revel in illustration.

http://amanita-design.net/

There's always some terrible stuff around and some wonderful stuff. It's not like Custer's Revenge was art back in the day.
Old 15-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

Maybe, but I have the impression these games are receiving less and less visibility these days. These two you recommended, I had never heard of. Ok, enough talk, off to try them.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 15-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Enjoy!

Also, maybe you could give us some examples of games you consider to be art, then we could give you better recommendations
Old 15-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Art in games is subjective, it's all up to the person to find what they think of as art and enjoy it.

Also artistic games (as in ones made to expresses some artistic notion of the creator) are hardly getting less interest now then before...they have always gotten little interest. Most people play games to pass some time or to help them relax they are not playing to get some great art into their house, but for those who do want it there are plenty of games out there with art in them, Newgrounds.com has a few very nice flash games filled with art, I believe they even have them under their own section now.

What do you know yes they do http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/artgames.html have fun.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 16-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

I don't know. I feel that there used to be a larger effort in this sense in games. Yes, I agree art is subjective, but I was refering to more well established categories, if you can say that. Take games like Planescape for example, it had some very nice writing. Older games had a lot of writing, some of them were quite good. So, I ask, are writers today less inclined to try their work in games (or the industry less interested in seeking them)? I think so. I was also thinking about drawing. Games like Syberia had impressive hand drawn scenes (well, lots of old games had beautiful things like that), it seems that some obssession with "realism" is killing that though. There are other categories, like soundtrack, voice acting, etc.

So, there. I am not looking for art for the art's sake. It's just that these games used to inspire awe in me and get me really involved.

In this sense, I would regard even games like Monkey Island in these categories, if nothing else, for its well written humour dialogs (which is some form of art I think). There are many more I could fit in these descriptions, I will do a list sometime.

Last edited by jonh_sabugs; 16-03-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 16-03-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

When you don't know what it's all about, it's about the money.

$$$ is killing stuff, like games, movies, etc.

For huge companies that finance those large projects (you can't make another Call of Duty in a team of, say, three) care only about profit.

Sure, there has to be a profit. Don't expect teams of professionals working for free.

In the older days of gaming, games were making less $$$ - and even those famous ones required smaller design teams to what we usually get today.

This allowed a dedicated team of enthusiasts create a labor of love. The work spent on the game was way much than the salary they were paid.
Only one person or a small group may elect to work more than they're getting paid for that. For idealistic reasons, they want their creation to be really special.
This produced those fine old games.

Games are an industry now. Design is streamlined, pipelined now - with the number of people working, it's a must. People do what's in their task list for today. Their team is owned by a huge corporation that will not allow them to work just a few days more to remove those bugs.

All of this applies to mainstream games that get the most media attention. There are still independent developers out there who work similarly to those design teams of the yesteryear. They still make those rare gems, it's just harder to find them in the flood of the heavily marketed junk.

Last edited by RRS; 16-03-2011 at 02:39 AM.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 20-03-2011, 03:50 AM   #9
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

I suppose you have a point. It is sad, and I suppose a little disappointing, though, to see things going in that direction. I used to be really amazed by certain games elements, and used to think how much more impressive they would become as technolgy evolved. Now that we are there, studios seem to waste a great potential in mediocre products. Ah, heck, maybe we will live to see the day games become a fine art again.

I am playing keepsake. The game is fun, even though some characters may be annoying at times.
Old 20-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

I think a lot of people suffer from a common syndrome when they tackle the notion "art", "artistic", "creativity" etc. A lot of these people would consider a black square (read Malevich) art, but will never consider architecture, a building (say Empire State Building), because hundreds people were involved in constructing it.

First, I want to say even when a team of 100 people work on a single game, it can be art, and it's most certainly a use of creativity. Because there's a level designer (guy) who needs to think how to make some original and interesting maps, there's a composer that needs to make a soundtrack that would perfectly envelop the game's feeling, a character designer that needs to come up with interesting characters, a writer who wants to put on paper an engaging story etc. And above them there's the general game designer who fleshes out the main ideas of the game, he outlines the main gameplay features, and gives the direction for all the other components (details, graphics, atmosphere, music etc.).

Saying that less dedication is put into games nowadays, when more people are working on them, is pretty much nonsense to me.

Even if every guy works on a separate component, what he does is more or less a form of art, except stuff like programming, debugging and testing.

Plus, I have seen lots of more pretentious games as well in the last decade, starting with Bioshock and Okami and whatever and ending with Daedalic games and indie productions.

I don't know what old games you think are art. Certainly Syberia is an inspiring adventure, but so are PC MoHs' soundtracks or Oblivion's unexplored realm. Giving LucasArts games as an example of ultimate art games is not such a good idea in my opinion, because they're stupidly funny games with a lot of polish, not genius storytelling and drawing.

A lot of people posed the same question. An example: http://www.destructoid.com/art-games...d-163912.phtml
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy