Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 08:08 AM   #21
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Sure, why not? If you have anything to bribe or blackmail them with...
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 12-05-2005, 08:15 AM   #22
Kreepah
Game freak

actually i just did a search and roberta has a package for sale with all the KQs an more (no PQs,QFGs or SQs on their though)... maybe the others have a similair deal, anyway this is going to screw abandonias image big time. I would be happy to buy them but id rather get them seperately than a package myself.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:11 AM   #23
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

They also removed Mechwarrior. :angry:

I think that some of them quite lost their mind. HOTU has Mechwarrior for a long, LONG time and NOBODY asked them to remove it, depite quite a number of ESA strikes against their site. This does say something.

Also, for many of the games Abandonia had the permission from authors themselves. And still ESA demanded removal. :not_ok:

I have strange suspicions on that...

And then... Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis - we NEVER HAD THIS UP FOR DOWNLOAD. WE HAD A BUY LINK. :ranting: Now, this is something _very_ strange, not to call it otherwise.

I think ESA _wanted_ to bust us. Soon you'll learn that all freeware belongs to them as well.

Now this is suspicious:
7 Cities of Gold
Nightmare on Elm Street
Abuse OPEN SOURCE, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!
Aces over Europe
Advanced Civilization
Airborne Ranger - HOTU - ESA
Aladdin
Alien Carnage - HOTU - Sold
Alter Ego - HOTU - ESA

Mechwarrior

Some titles are indeed ESA protected, but there are things like Abuse, which is listed as being Open Source. Now what is the thing about Open Source projects? That's right, they are free.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #24
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@May 12 2005, 10:11 AM
They also removed Mechwarrior. :angry:

I think that some of them quite lost their mind. HOTU has Mechwarrior for a long, LONG time and NOBODY asked them to remove it, depite quite a number of ESA strikes against their site. This does say something.

Also, for many of the games Abandonia had the permission from authors themselves. And still ESA demanded removal. :not_ok:

I have strange suspicions on that...

And then... Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis - we NEVER HAD THIS UP FOR DOWNLOAD. WE HAD A BUY LINK. Now, this is something _very_ strange.

I think ESA _wanted_ to bust us. Soon you'll learn that a game that has long ago been released as freeware belongs to them as well.
Are you thinking what I am thinking about somewhere along the way there was some major BS and now something stinks about the whole thing?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 12-05-2005, 10:48 AM   #25
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Erm, let's better not go there. That sort of speculation can only make things worse and it certainly won't help in getting any of the games back.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 12-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #26
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally posted by Efthimios+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Efthimios)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Are you thinking what I am thinking about somewhere along the way there was some major BS and now something stinks about the whole thing? [/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Raffles

Erm, let's better not go there. That sort of speculation can only make things worse and it certainly won't help in getting any of the games back. [/quote]
You have a point, but I have to say that I share Efthimios' point of view. Something is very, very wrong.

Say, Space Hulk. The game is nowhere mentioned on EA site, is not sold, and finally Games Workshop does not even acknowledge its existence (altough boardgames it was based on are somewhat heard of on their site). I guess I'll have to ask Jervis Johnson, one person involved in the game's development that I have contact with, to clear it up a little.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-05-2005, 11:31 AM   #27
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@May 12 2005, 11:22 AM
Are you thinking what I am thinking about somewhere along the way there was some major BS and now something stinks about the whole thing?
Do you REALY think it was FUN sitting there yesturday, spending 5 hours on tracing every single *dirty word* game? Tracking down WHO made it, who owns that company now, and when done with that, ANOTHER letter from ESA drops down..

Now... ONE more word about BS, stink or coverup WILL get a free 1 week suspention for stupidity.

Is that simple enough?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:47 AM   #28
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Also...

ESA never tells the names of all the games they want us to remove, so we have to remove EVERY SINGLE GAME that MIGHT go under their protection. That means that we removed some games that maybe didn't need to be removed, like Abuse.

Had we NOT done this, this site would've been TERMINATED for good a couple of hours ago (when the deadline ran out).

And before you people speculate thing even worse... (jeeeeezus... you guys just LOVE conspiracies ... ) We DIDN'T have permission DIRECTLY from the producers. We had permission from ESA. ESA removed this permission yesterday, and gave us 24 hours to remove every single game connected to the companies protected by ESA and all their subsidiaries. If we didn't we would get a lawsuit, and the site would've been shut down and deleted.

We might've killed more games than we needed to, but hey.. the site lives. THAT is the important thing.

Now, PLEASE STOP jumping to conclusion and conspiracy theories.

(And I made the ESA NO GO button yesterday. You've never seen it before, because we've never needed it. Why place an ESA protected NO GO button on a game we had permission to host? )