Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 24-01-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe
Old 04-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Can't say I've played it, but Event Horizon Software later did The Summoning, a very interesting hybrid adventure/action title (long before those became both popular and cliched). Unfortunately, I think The Summoning proved their final title, since it wasn't a hit. I might give this a try, though the combat sounds wonky and the quest system seems repetitive. Good review, by the way.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 04-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
Yobor
Hero Gamer

Hahah! I was originaly going to review this game, but sadly, I couldn't get past the buggy combat system. Heh.
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 04-06-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Triton

Quote:
Originally posted by Yobor@Jun 4 2005, 09:58 AM
Hahah! I was originaly going to review this game, but sadly, I couldn't get past the buggy combat system. Heh.
So you only review games that are fun and easy to play? That doesn't sound like being a good reviewer to me.

It looks like someone didn't like my screenshots... And it seems someone has taken a few liberties with my review.

Old 04-06-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Van Der Litreb

Sorry for this to be my first post, and all; I love this site and I check for updates every day.

That said, the Aesir and the Vanir aren't the ones fighting at Ragnarok.
They're both godly races, and while they did have an initial war going on, the two races eventually settled down and even intermarried. The Aesir and the Vanir fight _together_ in Ragnarok, against the giants, the Fenrir wolf, and other assorted baddies. :Titan:

So, my question is this: did the reviewer get something mixed up or did he get his information from the game?
Van Der Litreb is offline                         Send a private message to Van Der Litreb
Old 04-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #6
Yobor
Hero Gamer

Many games are completely wrong in their mythologies. I know of at least 3 games invloving Greek Mythology that made me cringe every time they mentioned something.
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 04-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
Triton

When it comes to ancient mythology, not one source is 100% accurate. The Aesir and Vanir did in fact intermarry according to many sources, including the game. One of the quests in Dusk involves stealing precious mead from Surt and bring it to the Vanir, who may then agree to fight WITH the Aesir instead of AGAINST them, thus improving the Aesirs' chances at Ragnarok. Some sources that I am familiar with say that the Vanir in general will fight the Aesir at Ragnarok, but some would fight with them. These sources refer to the Aesirs' opposition at Ragnarok as Vanir, and consider the word Vanir to refer to that race of gods and the Jotuns as well as the enemies of the Aesir.

One game that is largely incorrect in Norse mythology is Valkyrie Profile for PSX. In that game, there are three Valkyries named Hrist, Lenneth (your character), and Silmeria. In the best ending, Loki kills Odin who dies protecting Freya, as well as Lucian (who is Lenneth's mortal lover). In the good ending, Lenneth enters Niflheim and slays Surt, who resides in Niflheim with Hel (captured and imprisoned by the Aesir), Hrist is evil, and Silmeria is a captive of Brahms, the lord of vampires.

None of the other gods have important roles except for Frei, who is a bubbly and somewhat ditzy goddess.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Triton@Jun 4 2005, 05:12 PM
It looks like someone didn't like my screenshots...* And it seems someone has taken a few liberties with my review.
i think you're talking about me

as for the screenshots - it's not i didn't like them, you've only provided too few,
and some of those didn't have the correct size, thus i had to add some new ones!

and concerning your review, the one and only liberty i took was to add three letters to
the first sentence of your text which are: RPG (because that's the official categorization
of this game on mobygames.com). if you disagree with this, let me know and i'll erase
this small change.

i hope you're ok with that
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe
Old 04-06-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin@Jun 4 2005, 01:46 PM
Unfortunately, I think The Summoning proved their final title, since it wasn't a hit.
Actually, Event Horizon changed their name to DreamForge. The manual for Dungeon Hack talks about it.
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 04-06-2005, 09:30 PM   #10
NightOwwl

Quote:
Can't say I've played it, but Event Horizon Software later did The Summoning, a very interesting hybrid adventure/action title (long before those became both popular and cliched). Unfortunately, I think The Summoning proved their final title, since it wasn't a hit.
Some interesting points:
  • The Summoning is based entirely on Dusk of the Gods. The runes, the layout, the npc's; except for better graphics and different characters, it's the same game.
  • Event Horizons followed up The Summoning with Veil of Darkness (also available on Abandonia.) Fun game, but not long enough.
  • After changing their name to Dreamforge, they continued making great RPG and adventure games including the Ravonloft series, Anvil of Dawn, Menzoberranzan, Choronomaster and Sanitarium.
IMO, one of the most talented design and development shops ever.
NightOwwl is offline                         Send a private message to NightOwwl