Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-04-2006, 07:16 AM   #11
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Master MC@Apr 23 2006, 02:37 AM
We're all talking 'bout this site?
Woot, never flamed a site before!
I remember that site from when it was still free - bakc than they were leeching from other sites - mainly HOTU. After they wanted people to PAY I never visited them again. But there's a big question here - if that site gets the money from you and they are still leeching (simply rederecting you to other sites) and those sites have protected themselves (or are down at the moment) - do you get your money back, because you cannot download the game you payed for?

I know the other site you mentioned as well. I guess that's jst their version of out click to support abandoni method. They are way too pushy though. Also if you do that, you'll only be ablet o get 3 games or a certain amount of MB to download - whichever comes first. So they want you to keep doing that.

But then again HOTU had po(o)p-ups as well. I guess there aren't that many abandonware sites that don't have such crap... Abandonia is at least descrete - there are links you can click, but you don't have to, I guess we still get enough clicks on those to pay for the costs.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 23-04-2006, 07:47 AM   #12
win98
In the loop on hardware.

:not_ok: I think it sucks the are making you pay for FREEWARE!!!! That is breaching the freeware makers terms on using the game.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 23-04-2006, 08:41 AM   #13
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Whats the point in calling it freeware if it isnt even for free anyways?... :whistle:
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 23-04-2006, 09:22 AM   #14
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally posted by win98@Apr 23 2006, 07:47 AM
:not_ok: I think it sucks the are making you pay for FREEWARE!!!! That is breaching the freeware makers terms on using the game.
abandonware is warez, it is not "legal" to distribute it, but companies dont lose a crap since the game is not sold anymore
Old 23-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Man, if it ain't free I'd just use torrents or smth or just turn to AB or AR.
If they don't have it then boohoo - no go. I have mostly all the old games I wanted and that's it.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 23-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #16
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Master MC@Apr 23 2006, 12:37 AM
We're all talking 'bout this site?
Woot, never flamed a site before!
I got it!

Lets tell ESA about this site!

TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 23-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #17
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

Good idea k:

You may all click here and report that site. Yay for ESA...
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 23-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #18
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I wouldn't report them. They may be evil, they may be thieves, they may be immoral - but one illegal site reporting another... That's just un-ethical - and somewhat silly.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 23-04-2006, 04:59 PM   #19
The Good Soldier Švejk
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by TheChosen Posted on Apr 23 2006@ 02:06 PM
Good idea k:

You may all click here and report that site. Yay for ESA...
SHAME ON YOU!

I Wouldn't even wish Them to Get Reportet to ze Eza!

That Would Be Inhuman!

Ja they are Schweinehunde. But Reporting them to the Esa?

Are You crazy!?!

Lets Just Pay Once, DL Thier Games and put them on Abandonia!

Then they Have the Arsch Offen!

LOL
The Good Soldier Švejk is offline                         Send a private message to The Good Soldier Švejk
Old 23-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #20
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If they are making users pay to get their "free" games, it's a warez site. If they make users go thru stupid publicity, spambots spywares and such, then it's a scum site. If they are doing both at the same time, then it's one of the worst place on the web you could visit period.

Abandonware is respected all over the world and is tolerated because our cause, as illegal as it is right now, is noble. The real reason we have this site and other sites around is because we want to preserve good old games, which even more to the point are usually extremely better quality of gameplay wise than new games which get out nowaday which mostly center on graphics. At the same time, we don't harm the producers or the copyright holders in any ways since they are not making money from those games anymore. And that's why we have an (well, almost ) army of people doing free voluntary work to keep this site quality to the top, having top quality reviews, always searching and updating status for games, complying with ESA demands, removing links to the downloads if they are turning back to the selling shelves, etc.

Such a thing deserve a lot of respect, and I never met someone who would not admit that. Sites which make you pay for something they don't own, and turn your machine into a bot with spywares and worms and whatever you can think of... That's something I not only have no respect of whatsoever, but that I despise entirely.