Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-04-2017, 02:00 AM   #1
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

Unhappy Resident Evil in the PS4 era!

This is gonna be a rather long post, so please don't read any further if long rant posts aren't your thing.

Anyway, I have owned and still in fact own, many consoles. I was not a serious gamer though until around the turn of the century. My sister let me play Resident Evil 2, and I credit that game with getting me into the survival horror genre. I've been a big horror gamer for like 17 years, so I've obviously followed most of the stuff that companies have put out there for consumers. Now today, I own practically every major horror sequel (game or movie) that is listed on IMDb. Sadly, I feel there's been a decline in quality when it comes to horror games, and I've felt that the genre has been on life support for a long time now.

I'm sure we can all agree that Resident Evil 4 was where things started to get rocky with Capcom. Many people love that game, and that's fine. But you have to admit, it was not terrifying at all. It was cheesy and way too action heavy to be considered a real horror game. The idea that enemies dropped cash as well was just lame and I don't know, but it was a great game in 2005 anyway. However, I suppose looking at it now, I blame that game for tarnishing pretty much all the classic horror franchises, because then just about every other famous franchise to do with creepy things ended up copying it, and then fans were alienated like heck, with some getting on board with the change, and others gave it up for the ghost. It's sad too, because many new fans aren't beginning with the remastered version of the original game (which is by far the best zombie game ever), or Zero even. It's either 4 or 5 and 6. And that's just wrong. 5 was awful. 6 was even worse.

Silent Hill is one of the most weird, yet beautiful games I've ever played. 2 still looks fantastic, even today. 3 was the last good one. 4: The Room had some nice ideas, but I didn't like the game style all that much. It wasn't even because of the new first person stuff. It was just a rank experience and it was not totally dire, but it was not quite as enjoyable as the first three. Still - I thought it was an interesting horror adventure, at least. Then Homecoming come out when the Xbox 360 era was blooming, and any horror game released beyond 2006 has been a mixed bag for me. Actually, Origins came out before Homecoming, and it was probably the last game in the series that remotely resembled the ones of yesteryear, before they made them like you know what. Downpour was just so-so in my book, and there's never been another real sequel since the issues with Konami in recent years. Some company were working on a similar game called Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities, but it got cancelled.

So this year, I played Resident Evil 7: Biohazard and I must say that it was great, and I enjoyed it. The downloadable content was rather poor, but the main story gave players what was a solid horror game. Unfortunately, it's the type of game you could easily mistake for being something else entirely or maybe even a spin off, as it really didn't feel like a real sequel.
Hunter Hunted is offline                         Send a private message to Hunter Hunted