Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
Amppa

Howdy stranger,

This is Hauser. I have a problem in Faery Tale Adventure 2. Everytime I try to read a book, parchment or bulletin board the game quits to desktop. Reading a scroll oddly works without problem, how about that. I have Windows XP SP2. I can't try the game with Windows 95 compatibility mode because then it complains that I haven't got sufficient amount of virtual memory. My computer isn't also good enough to play the game in dosbox and it is very slow with this one. I tried the game also in VDMSound and it won't start with it. It complains that vesa support doesn't work. Please help with this one, I am VERY anxious to get to play! I think advice how to get the Windows 95 compatibility work or how to get this game work with VDMSound would probably help me, or something...

Old 14-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
thebes
Game freak

Go to the dosbox website forum. There is an article on getting the dosbox to start auto witout typing in everthing. Make up a folder like old games to keep your dos games in. Then when u set it up to start dosbox in that folder when you start the game it auto goes into dosbox. I cannot get a huge amount of game by going to regular dosbox but using this old games folder route seems to work better. I do not know why. U will have to find the article in the fourm as I have not been there for a while and forgot the exact way to set it up. hope this helps.
Luke 7:23 And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.
thebes is offline                         Send a private message to thebes
Old 15-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
Amppa

Hey,

Did I not tell you that the game was way too slow in dosbox..

Old 15-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Data
retired

Hey,

Didn't he tell you to try to configure DOSBox better so it is faster.
Old 15-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Another completely green dude who completely skips the readme... Read it, and better do it now.
The official DosBox FAQ, and particularly this part of it are next in order.

And FYI, DosBox doesn't have a fixed speed. Try the following:
frameskip=1
core=dynamic
cycles=10000
cycleup=1000
cycledown =1000
If you still don't know where these go, read up on the config file.
Then tune the DosBox cycle value using CTRL+F11 and CTRL+F12 to the maximum your machine can handle on that game. To check that, enable XP's resource monitor thingy and minimize it. Go into DosBox (fullscreen mode! that's important!) and after a minute or so back to the resource monitor. Did the CPU usage reach 100%? It should be as close to the top as possible without actually reaching it.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 15-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Amppa

Have You tried this game? This requires very fast CPU to run this. And I know all about fastening dosbox, works well on not so demanding games.

Old 15-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Well, you didn't say your machine had too slow CPU to run it.

All you said was that "the game is too slow in DosBox", which is the problem typically associated with individuals who can hardly figure out what the command line is.

So:
Dosbox - scratch
VDMS - scratch.
Abandonia Bootdisk - ?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
Amppa

Yep, luckily I solved the problem myself.
I used Virtual PC 2004 program and took Windows 98 settings and installed my old Windows 98 to Virtual PC 2004. Then just install windows version of Faery Tale Adventure 2 and play. Speed is original (not slow at all) and everything works good (reading books etc.).
My tinkering around worked like a charm.

Case is solved.

Old 21-07-2015, 01:42 AM   #9
Unregisteredd
Wink win95 NOT dos version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
Hey,

Didn't he tell you to try to configure DOSBox better so it is faster.
Didnt you READ the original question? Its installed in WINDOWS xp, so the game has installed the WINDOWS 95 version. Dosbox wont load the WINDOWS 95 version. the DOS version is slooooow anyways. READ the original question next time. ok? good!

Old 21-07-2015, 04:59 AM   #10
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amppa View Post
I used Virtual PC 2004 program
So your system is good enough to start game in VM, but not enough to start it in DOSBox? Ok.

Actually, if only DOS version itself not have some extra strange speed limitations, I have no idea how it can be the case. But... case solved, you said? Let it be.