Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-12-2004, 12:19 AM   #1
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review

Last edited by Luchsen; 23-01-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Tom Henrik is offline                         Send a private message to Tom Henrik
Old 26-12-2004, 01:01 AM   #2
dishwasherlove

I absolutely love this game, nothing like a bit of destruction to make your day. The review screenshots are in low-res mode (you can tell by the weapon icons). You can get into high res (640x680!) by pressing F9, or one of those keys... but as the reviewer mentions you need a beastly computer with dos box. Another alternative would be using mo'slo, it seems to be stable under windows just runs way too fast
Old 26-12-2004, 04:45 AM   #3
Lobster

I bought this game when it had just come out, and I'm afraid I must disagree with the reviewer. At the time, 3D graphics of any tangible sort had just started making an appearance, and along with another Bullfrog game, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate Wars featured a rotatable map that has since become somewhat standard in games of the sort. Along with the lighting effects and "deformable" terrain (hey, blowing up textures and knocking down buildings was impressive back then!), I found Syndicate Wars to be rather mindblowing. I love this game, and I doubt I've clocked more hours on any game since (though Nippon Ichi's PS2 TRPGs Disgaea and Phantom Brave may change that!).

The original CD included three tracks of subdued but rather nice techno that really added to the atmosphere as well.

Old 26-12-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
PrejudiceSucks

Ugh I hate this game. I was thinking that it would be like the original Syndicate, but better, but this actually feels to me like -

Syndicate : Lame Foray Into Action Genre

Maybe it's just me, but I have really fallen out of love with Synidicate now. The interface sucked, the gameplay was very repetitive, only the idea of the game was any good. Unfortunately this is a major problem of Bullfrog's up until Dungeon Keeper 2, which was great, as is Startopia (ex-bullfrog) and also Urban Chaos (yep, it's Mucky Foot again).

Old 26-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #5
xoopx

one of the bigger disappointments. i was overjoyed when it was released, and tried the demo on playstation. VERY POOR compared to the original syndicate.
they 'lets put the sequel in 3d' thing didnt work for a lot of things in the early 3d on pc/playstation 1 era. another example is 'fade to black' which came after 'flashback'.

Old 26-12-2004, 03:59 PM   #6
TaloN
Hero Gamer

i dont like this at all.

the orginal is so much better and ...creepier in my opionion. This just seems like a wierd sci-fi rampage. :S
TaloN is offline                         Send a private message to TaloN
Old 26-12-2004, 04:35 PM   #7
Stormrider

This game is nice and bad in my opinion. Nice because the Action is good and simple and its fun to research new things and upgrade your Cyborgs with it. Bad because it´s not a worthy Syndicate sequel and very hard in later Levels.

I would give it a 3.

Old 27-12-2004, 08:58 AM   #8
PrejudiceSucks

Yeah, 3 seems about right. Maybe 2 and a half. Another thing that irritated me about this game was how dark it was and how large the buildings were.

If I can't see my own troops in the dark without rotating, then how the hell am I supposed to discern friend from foe?

Old 27-12-2004, 12:16 PM   #9
mouse31e
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Lobster@Dec 26 2004, 04:45 AM
I bought this game when it had just come out, and I'm afraid I must disagree with the reviewer. At the time, 3D graphics of any tangible sort had just started making an appearance, and along with another Bullfrog game, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate Wars featured a rotatable map that has since become somewhat standard in games of the sort.
The difference is that Dungeon Keeper looked better. I just feel that given the quality of the graphics in the original Syndicate, the graphics in this should have been much better.

Quote:
The review screenshots are in low-res mode (you can tell by the weapon icons). You can get into high res (640x680!) by pressing F9, or one of those keys...
Yeah, sorry about that. It took too long to play the game in 640x480 and I didn't know there was a key to switch between the two modes.
mouse31e is offline                         Send a private message to mouse31e
Old 27-12-2004, 04:35 PM   #10
UberDave
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to UberDave Send a message via AIM to UberDave Send a message via MSN to UberDave Send a message via Yahoo to UberDave

Nooooooooooooo! I'm staying with family at the mo and I won't be able to try this for a few days! I rember that the PS version sucked but i'm definetly gonna try athis on my PC when I get back. I'll let ya know what I think then.

Peace out and merry christmas an all that Jazz :bye:
UberDave is offline                         Send a private message to UberDave