Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Default Red Storm Rising

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and download (if available)
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 14-02-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
rlbell
Game freak

While the game may actually be an apalling sub sim (how should I know, I have never seen more than pictures of subs), it does a very good job of expressing the atmosphere of modern underwater combat. You need to act on incomplete information and are rewarded when your educated guess on the class of the sonar target is correct, with better knowledge of its location. The mechanism for dodging or decoying torpedoes may be inaccurate, but you know that you are trying to have the torpedo listen for you where you are not.

It is a very good game and actually more fun than 688 Attack Sub, by EA.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 14-02-2008, 02:44 AM   #3
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Did I hear someone say that they would like to see a manual and box shots for this game?
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 14-02-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Hearing vocies again, are we? :worried:

Better listen to them, they're absolutely right! :amused:
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 14-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Wow! I'm not sure which is bigger the manual for this game or the Clancy novel. It's a really nice manual but it's 100 pages. I might have a hard time getting it below the 11MB limit. I'll see what I can do. Judging by the looks of it the manual would make the game much easier and enjoyable to play. I'll scan the map and keyboard templates as well.

BTW, I want 100 extra pieces of eight for this one. lol

EDIT: OK, since the manual is divided into three sections I am going to scan each one as a separate document.
1. The Operations Manual
2. The Captains Manual
3. The Reference Manual

Don't get confused by the page numbers.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor

Last edited by Geezer; 14-02-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Thursday afternoon brainstorm.
Old 14-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
humorguy
Super Freak

Oh my God! This game is absolutely brilliant - I played this for hours and hours on my C64 and fairly wore the keyboard overlay out! I got so immersed in the story of each mission - and the AI was so good you really started thinking their was a mean Russian captain in that other sub or on those destroyers trying to send you down to Davy's Locker!

Even on the C64 the sound effects were great, the graphics were great and the animations in the 'cutscenes' the best I had ever seen! You're all right, you need the manual to really get the best out of this - it is a typical Microprose manual - 120 pages of goodness with plenty of sub information beyond that of playing the game!

I also have this game on PC, and it's identical to the C64 version in almost every way. Considering the extra memory Microprose had to play with on the PC (even back then!), I think the AI is a little weaker, but not by enough to make the enemy as dumb as you get in some modern games!

I can barely think of a single Microprose title that was bad, and this is up there as one of my favourite games of all time. In fact my favourite PC game of all time is a Microprose title: Darklands, a 15th century Germany sim/RPG, and my second favourite PC title is another Microprose game - XCom! I would certainly put this title in my top 15-20 as well!

So once the manual is available, enjoy the read, learn the ropes and have a ball beneath the waves with this excellent excellent game!!!!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 15-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

YES Microprose is the best company ever, that's a fact :cool:
Old 15-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #8
Duda

I must agree, every Microprose game I played was excellent! After all, Sid Meier was there...
Duda is offline                         Send a private message to Duda
Old 16-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
Asquire

Great game.... but I can't figure out a lot of the controls.
Asquire is offline                         Send a private message to Asquire
Old 16-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquire View Post
Great game.... but I can't figure out a lot of the controls.
I'll have the manuals done and uploaded tomorrow (2/17/2008). Then it's a matter of where in the pecking order the updaters can get them on the site.