Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #21
Kevin

Ah yes, Settlers II... I remember playing the demo when it first came out. Many fond memories... Too bad Settlers III wasn't as good.

Old 17-01-2005, 10:42 AM   #22
Doeke

Quote:
Originally posted by ShunNakamura@Jan 8 2005, 03:22 PM
I really have to get around to registering.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone would help such a humble newbie as myself in figureing out how to safe you own created maps(from the editor). What happens is when I tell it to save it does that "Moon with the zzz" icon and then shut downs. When I try and find my saved map I can't find it.

(P.S. It would be really sad if I was just looking in the wrong folders, so I hope that isn't it.)
You're not looking in the wrong folders, the problem is that the folder in wich s2edit wants to save your map does not exist. (I had the same problem) It is very easy to fix, just create a folder called "Worlds" in the main Settlers2 folder and voillá

Old 18-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #23
ShunNakamura

Thanks that did the trick. Now I can go make my own maps :Titan:
ShunNakamura is offline                         Send a private message to ShunNakamura
Old 31-01-2005, 02:00 AM   #24
pixie

Right, here's my problem:

for some reason, I can't see the entire map. I've tried practically any combination you can have with F7 with no luck. And yes, I do get the exclamation mark appearing.

Also, I don't seem to be able to change the speed of things - again, I've tried f1 to f6 both alone and with control, alt etc - which seem to be the more common ones recommended on various websites.

Suggestions?

Old 31-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #25
Sn0w

Um i dunno what you guys are talking about but IF your using dosbox the speed up and down control are somethin like ALT f11 f12

its not always better to use Dos box for certain games....I find that settlers 1 works fine in dos box but the music skips....runs in XP fine but there is no sound just got try everything :S

I downloaded the demo of Settlers5:heritage of the kings 479 mbs zipped took 30mins (SOmething like that)and its pretty much the same as number one with upgraded graphics...and it takes up way more space....aound300-500mbs and u need a really good graphics card to play it but at least they stopped all the cuteness...some of the concept in gameplay has change but its easy to get into...took stupid ol me like 10 minutes to get it right

all in all its ok
Sn0w is offline                         Send a private message to Sn0w
Old 31-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #26
Adrian

Hi all,

Love Settlers II, but i have a teensy prob that's stumped me.

I'm only on Part two of the roman campaign, and my soldiers are all trained up, but i dont know how to attack!

How do i get those lazy soldiers to go fighting?

Old 01-02-2005, 12:05 AM   #27
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

First you need soldiers in military buildings close to where you want to attack. Then you do a special click (the same special click than on any other buildings/flag) on an ennemy military building and a windows will pop up showing you how much soldiers you can launch in the attack.

Of course, you'll want to attack with strong soldiers and leave your weak soldiers in the internal defense. There is two ways you can do this:

1.) When you build a barrack, always do a special click and stop the barrack from requesting coins. Then, when you meet the ennemy, click on the barracks at the border and allow them to request coins. Only the border guards will be trained and you will be sure that your stronger soldiers will do the attack(s).

2.) In the military options, there is 2 usefull options. The first one is how strong you want the recruits to fill the new military buildings (or old understaffed ones) to be, and the second is the capacity of military buildings you want used from internal, mid land and border military buildings.

What you need to do is to get the recruits option to weakest, then bring the capacity to the minimum everywhere (usually, the internal buildings are minimally staffed, mid land is medium and border buildings are fully staffed). This will make all your stronger soldiers go back to your castle or supply. When all the soldiers are back in the castle/supplies, bring the recruit option back to maximum and put the border buildings back on max. This will bring all your stronger soldiers back to the front.

A note of warning tough: this is not something you'd want to do in the middle of a war since it will leave your military buildings extremely vulnerable and this procedure usually take a lot of time since you must wait for the knights to walk back home and then back forth to the border lines...
Old 07-02-2005, 09:39 AM   #28
Bensch

Yeehaw, I adored the Settlers. It used to be my favorite game though I never managed to get through the campagin (maybe I was just too young). Blue Byte rox
Bensch is offline                         Send a private message to Bensch
Old 12-02-2005, 08:31 AM   #29
Mardi-Gras
Forum hobbit

Apoorva has already mentioned this, but I thought I'd just reiterate it here, since there's been a couple of posts after Apoorva's suggestion for the fix.

If you run the game, and an error appears regarding no Comport 2, just click ignore it - all this signifies is that the system can't find a second mouse connected to your system, which is used for the multiplayer option. The single player game runs just dandy with a single mouse.

Notice as well no-one's made much mention of the catapult. I use the catapult more than I use my soldiers to take over enemy land. Coupla well-placed stones crashing on enemy barracks lowers the enemy numbers, and kills the strongest troop type as easily as the weakest, making it easier to mop up.

Also, build storehouses, lots of 'em, as you advance your lands. Not only are storehouses convenient for storing goods closer to your borders, meaning the turnaround time for building is improved, new troops are trained in storehouses.

Love this game so much. i really do. k:
Mardi-Gras is offline                         Send a private message to Mardi-Gras
Old 03-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #30

Right error fixing time...... Tired of reading the errors.

How i got mine to work:
First of all install it
Second, create a shortcut to S2.exe, and open up the properties of the shortcut.
set all the memory properties to maximum, and set all memory to maximum (or whatever you reckon is sensible)
Set it to windows 95 compatibility mode.
For the sound you basic soundblaster & auto detect the settings.

When it comes up with the com port 2 error, click ignore.

Go settle!