Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #21
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking My mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Actually I only once played Wizardry VI, and never got past the beginning area. So I never passed it. Shame on me. The quite bad graphics turned me off, got to admit.
Interesting detail though, if you look into the EXE of the game (I think), there's a VGA driver mentioned which isn't available for the game, since it has only CGA and EGA driver files.
I wonder if the developers were tinkering for a while with the idea of adding VGA mode to the game... Too bad they didn't.

My dear MASTER SCATTY,
please accept my deepest appologies.

guilty yog

There are some cheats for this game?
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 12-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #22
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

Default Some infos about the game mechanics

Here's some information which should be in the manual but isn't:

I've attached a screenshot of the Cosmic Forge editor where you can see the class and race differences. You can see about the classes

- the hit points they get at creation and at each level up
- how much the hit chance improves at creation and at the next 19 level ups
- mana regeneration speed (the average mana regeneration in the 6 different spheres during 2 hours)
- class special features

- mana regeneration rate and carrying capacity are set at creation, gaining levels, improving stats or switching class afterwards won't change them
- you get +1 to all 6 mana regeneration rates if vitality is 16-18 at creation
- your carrying capacity is str*9 + vit*4.5, add + 24/25.5/54 if your starting str is 16/17/18.
- your starting stamina is 3*str + 6*vit, add + 16/17/36 if vit is 16/17/18, stamina is raised at each level up depending on str+vit

- all characters get 10-18 skillpoints at creation and 5-10 at level up independent of class or stats. Some of the skill points you get at creation and level up are put into favorite class skills automatically. Only fighters are free to spend all their skillpoints freely. Mage/priest/alchemist/psionic can put all their skill points into the casting skill, monk/lord/valkyrie only have to spend skill points to their weapon skill at creation and are free to put all their points into casting skills afterwards, other mixed casters have to waste more skillpoints.
- it's pointless wasting points for weapon skills, they'll improve to 100 just by using, the same applies to oratory, ninjitsu and music, so the only skills worth raising are the casting skill, kirijitsu and maybe scouting or thieving skills.
- characters with 16-17 vitality gain +1 HP, characters with 18 vitality gain +2 HP and characters with only 6-7 vitality get a -1 HP penalty at creation and level up

- fighter, ranger, lord, valkyrie, samurai, ninja, monk can get up to 4 * 1-4 swings per round
- priest, thief and bard can get up to 3 * 1-3 swings per round
- alchemist, psionic, bishop and mage can get up to 2 * 1-2 swings per round
- every class starts with 1 swing per attack and 1 attack per round, with 12+ dex they can get the maximum number of swings and with 12+ spe they can get the maximum number of attacks when they reach high enough levels
- you get additional attacks/swings faster with 12-17 spe/dex and much faster with 18 spe/dex (example: fighters with 18/12-17/7-11 spe (dex) get additional attacks (swings) at level 3,6,9/3,9,15/9,15 (3,6,12/5,12,19/12,19))
- you only get the second and fourth attack in the round with a secondary weapon (or unarmed as monk/ninja)

- XP needed for reaching the next level is doubled at each level up until level 11 and you need a fixed amount of XP for each level afterwards. The XP needed for reaching level 11 and each additional level afterwards:
thief: 460,800 + 225,000
fighter: 512,000 + 256,000
valkyrie/alchemist: 563,200 + 312,000
mage/priest/psionic/bard: 640,000 + 375,000
monk/ranger/lord/samurai: 716,800 + 415,000
bishop: 768,000 + 445,000
ninja: 768,000 + 475,000

- most weapons (and monsters) do double damage versus fighters
- thieves/bards/ninjas can get their skullduggery skill raised by trying to pick a lock, rangers can't
- you get the "jammed" message at door locks only 1 attempt after jamming them, if you fail picking a lock you don't know if you've jammed it before you try a gain. So if you use save/reload for lockpicking don't save after an unsuccesful attempt, you don't know if you've jammed the lock.
- monks and ninjas get a -1 AC bonus for every 10 points ninjitsu skill and additional -1 to AC for every 2 levels (capped at -10), so they can have up to -20 bonus to AC added to their equipment, more than the best armor can offer. With 100 unarmed skill fists do 2-16 base damage (compare to 2-4 with low skill) and get a 5 percent bonus to critical chance, kicking can increase the damage (extra damage + extra strength damage) considerably. The off-hand does "only" 2-8 damage.
- in order to be able to pick level 2,3,4,5,6,7 spells at level up you need at least 18,36,54,72,90,98 in the corresponding academic skill
- the caster and target level relative to each other have an effect on spell success chance
- raising the spell power level by 1 reduces the monsters' chance to save by 3 percent

- the mana increase at level up is something like stat_bonus + spells_known*2 + regeneration + 1d(skill/20)-1, you get 1d(skill/20) + 2*spell_level extra mana in the pool you pick a spell for (stat bonus is 1 for 28<int+pie<36 and 2 for 36+). It might be capped at 15.
- learning spells from books doesn't add mana and an empty mana pool isn't raised at level up. So if you learn the direction spell from a book you also have to pick another earth spell to activate the mana pool.
- if you switch classes you only get +1 HP, +1 mana and no to bonus to hit at level up if you reach a level lower than the maximum previous level. For reaching the maximum previous level (not max prev level +1 like in AD&D dualclassing) you'll get the full benefits. So if you keep on switching a fairy between rogue and bard at level 3 often enough you'll have a better hit chance than any pure warrior class. Miss chance starts at 100 and is capped at 0.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W6stats.PNG
Views:	1281
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1492  

Last edited by kmonster; 12-07-2011 at 04:02 PM.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 20-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #23
Magnakai

Hi KMonster,

thank you for the details. i have played bane 20 years ago, and then again 10 years or so ago, and i am also a min-maxer like you. i like to know how ingame stats come to be. i agree it's a very unbalanced game, but still a testament of the late 80's/early 90's (my youth) to me, so recently i pulled out bane again.

i seek further clarification on what you wrote on mana pool calculation & mana regeneration, for both bane and dsavant (in the wizardry Vii thread). i also use Mad God's utility to view stats on bane. have not advanced to dsavant playthrough this time round yet.

A) regeneration first. if i created a wiz6 char the highest regen rate i can have is class base +1, with vit 16+. i am aware the calculation is different in dsavant, max being class base +2. what i want to know is what happens after you transfer to dsavant, and begin play? is the regen recalculated again based on your beginning class (last spinned class in bane) & beginning stats in wiz7 or does the system still use your wiz 6 set mana regen?

B) and what about when transferring from dsavant to wizardry 8? is the method of initial calculation the same as as in wiz7?
i have not played wizardry 8. i intend to, eventually.

C) your formulae for level-up mana pool gains for wiz 6 seems very clearly laid out. what about the starting pools? of course this is not really important, but just curious, if u test by creating a priest with 2 starting spells, and eg. you choose both make wounds and heal wounds in the Magic Realm, you can start off with either 6 or 7 points. I don't know if other figures may be possible. Do you know if any particular stat affects this variable, or if it is just random over a set range?

D) what about mana pools for dsavant? do u have the exact calculations for both starting pools and level-up gains (both the generic amount across all realms and the extra on a realm if u pick a new spell)?

thank you if you have time to check/answer all of these. if not, questions A & B on regen seem more important, since HP/Stamina/Mana Pools/skill points/miss%/etc. etc. are 'open-ended' since you seem to be able to spin an unlimited number of times to achieve whichever end figures you might desire. or hit a cap. well maybe miss% requires a bit of engineering.

ps. do u think static carrying capacity in wiz 6 was really intended- i have read some consider it a bug but i'm sure the current figures here can easily be recalculated and changed with some other editor.

Last edited by Magnakai; 20-10-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Magnakai is offline                         Send a private message to Magnakai
Old 20-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #24
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

I don't think the carrying capacity fixed at beginning is a bug, rather a lazy game design decision.

About exporting just look into the W7 thread.
Old 21-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #25
Magnakai

yes, this time round i restarted only paying heed to 2 'fixed' stats @ the beginning for all my characters ie. which mana regen class would be most beneficial to my endgame class (if he/she has spellcasting ability), and to str+vit for 297 c.c. not so worried about completing, more interested in character development. btw, in wiz6, is it true there is no specific resistance vs. stoning (curse of medusa from chests/charion), or is that pitted vs. magic res %/death res %? before i end wiz 6 this time, i want to get 5 of my party stoned at any one time so i can concentrate on the values of 1 character at a time, but their resistances might have gotten too high.

thanks i will study your info on exporting, but i cannot find the exact thread there are too many similar threads opened on wiz Vii or Wiz7 or dark savant, do you think you could provide me a link if you please?
Magnakai is offline                         Send a private message to Magnakai
Old 21-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #26
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

Search for wizardry. Click the result to get to the Wizardry VII Abandonia page, then click at "discuss this game!".
Old 23-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #27
Nukedemus
Default Install fail

Hi,

when installing using dosbox, through boxer (OSX), the zip from the last disk image seems to be corrupt. It says ERROR: UNABLE TO UNZIP -> A:/BANE09.ZIP

Then the installer freeze.

All the previous zips extract fine.

When trying to launch the game it says GRAPHICS MODE NOT CONFIGURED, but an error was kind of expected.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot!

Old 24-12-2011, 03:08 AM   #28
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Why are you trying to install the game from the images? The main download (through the Get It link image) does not need to be installed at all. You simply unzip the archive and run the game by playbane.bat. Unless there is a specific reason for you to be using the disk images just download and use the main archive.

Could someone please check the disk images to see if the final one is broken, might as well double check that while we are here.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 24-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #29
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
Could someone please check the disk images to see if the final one is broken, might as well double check that while we are here.
Confirmed:

[Edit]
Workaround: use 7zip to unzip bane09

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 24-12-2011 at 05:59 AM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 24-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #30
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Wonderful news, since I know jack all about floppy images is anyone able to fix/repair or replace this with a working version please?
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86