Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-11-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
Timothy Chamberlin

Default Need help installing games in MS-DOS, not DOSbox

I downloaded Pool of Radiance and unzipped the file to get the poolrad folder. I'm running MS-DOS from Windows 98. I saved the folder to the C Drive and tried to start the game by typing pool.bat from MS-DOS but can't get it to work.

Here's what I typed in DOS:

C:\WINDOWS>cd \poolrad
C:\poolrad>pool.bat

And this is what displays next ...

File creation error
Please insert overlay disk.

That's as far as I can get. Can anyone help?
Timothy Chamberlin is offline                         Send a private message to Timothy Chamberlin
Old 25-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I think I can guess what's happening. Do you have a file named pool.cfg in the game's directory?
If not, get it from the attached file, put it in the game directory and run the game using START.EXE .
Attached Files
File Type: zip POOL.zip (190 Bytes, 179 views)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Actually, _without_ cfg it works better - in that aspect that starting the game allows you to select all game parameters. But I am not totally sure that you can start game with pool.bat then.
Old 27-11-2014, 03:09 AM   #4
Timothy Chamberlin

Still no luck trying to get it to work. I have the pool.cfg in the game directory and get the same error message when entering start.exe.
Timothy Chamberlin is offline                         Send a private message to Timothy Chamberlin
Old 27-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

1. I am wrong, _this_ goldbox installation seems haven't tuning procedure in START.EXE. Ok, then you need this POOL.CFG really. But POOL.BAT creates it for you anyway.
2. Your error is not CFG-related. In that case you would get "Insert startup disk" error. "Overlay" error relate to file GAME.OVR. Do you have it?
3. But for "cannot create file" it seems not game-related but system-related error. Can you possibly have some file-protecting in place? "Read-only" flags? Antiviruses? Something? If it was Windows Vista and up, I would suspect directory placement, as system disc (that is usually C) is protected from "extra" files/dirs by default, but for Win98 it must be not the issue...
Old 28-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #6
Timothy Chamberlin

I do have the GAME.OVR in the directory. I just downloaded Curse of the Azure Bonds and it started without error. I guess there is something in the POOLRAD folder that's different than what is in the CURSE folder, but not sure what. I'm still stumped.
Old 28-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Just in case - try to re-download file and then unpack it somewhere else? Best is not on C, but at least in the C:\Games\Poolrad? Because it seems for me as some weird filesystem error...

Oh, do disc checking too? chkdsk c: or something?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:59 AM   #8
Japo
Autonomous human

Have you downloaded the game from here?

Have you tried my script?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
I've included in the archive for Pool of radiance a script to create the .cfg file each time no matter where the game was mounted.