Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #91
MoM_Junkie_Vebose

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Apr 8 2005, 05:00 AM
With that said, there are many more bugs in the game, like the game crash on casting the Chaos Channels Lycantropy spells sometimes. Or also that the volcanoes converted to mountains and further by the Change Terrain or that very rare Nature global spell spell stop to produce mana. A pity there was no additional patch for that, but this is how the game will remain now seemingly forever...
On raise volcano spell, I will say that I REALLY REALLY wish that it had a 2% (or whatever the help says it is supposed to have) of leaving behind a new mineral vein. Alas, it doesn't. And as far as them ceasing to produce their mana... they are supposed to naturally convert into mountainous terrain (like 1% chance each turn or some such). In fact raise volcano combined with change terrain is an effective (but expensive) way to make those useless tundra areas into more productive and fertile towns.

I was going to reply with all of the bugs that I know of... but instead throw this link out. (it is probably shorter than my post would have been anyway)

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/fil...er_of_magic.txt

One of the more entertaining bugs mentioned in this faq is plane shifting (uncommon life spell) a magic spirit (or guardian spirit) onto a node on the other plane. (earth lore spell is a good way to find them early in the game). The node creatures will still be there, but your spirit can meld with the node.

There are absolutely some mistakes in that FAQ too. (Just as there are probably mistakes in all of my ramblings) If in doubt, ask. I'll be sure to respond with my 8 cents.

Oh, I think they also warn about cloak of fear spell in there. (It reminds me very much of the "to hit" wrapping you were talking about earlier. Put cloak of fear on a normally powerful unit and watch how pathetic they become. (no it isn't supposed to work like that).
MoM_Junkie_Vebose is offline                         Send a private message to MoM_Junkie_Vebose
Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #92
MoM_Junkie_Vebose

Quote:
Originally posted by another_guest@Apr 8 2005, 09:04 AM
I used to play MoM quite a lot, but I've learned a few things from your posts... If I ever get to play it again, that knowledge will come in really handy.
If you ever play again... some people might find this editor useful for quickly trying out different tactics/spells/combos. I used an earlier version of it a decade ago without problems. You can do some neat things like have both life and death magic (not that this is more powerful than some of the other combos, but it is different, plus you can get all of the champion heroes (the ones requiring life spell books and death spell books)). You can also do cool things like make your opponents very powerful. And change heroes to your particular favorite (instead of reloading for the 10th time to summon "just the one you want")

http://www.inigo.com/momedit/

Please read the readme for it (its short). The interface is simple and clean.

The only thing that may look goofy at first is the casting skills under the wizard info section. Basically if you want a high skill you need to make the number really big. (my first guess would be that this value is the effective amount of power base that has been applied to casting skill in the game. And my understanding of that is that if you have a casting skill of 20 you need to put 20 points into casting skill in order to raise it to 21 (and then 21 to raise to 22, etc). This smacks of a long forgotten math lesson on sequences and simple formulas for converting the casting skill into the total amount trained and vice versa... But the short answer is to play with it.

The entry above that (casting remaining) is a useful number to drop to zero if you notice an opposing wizard casting some spell a little out of their league (like summon champion early in the game). I should say that this is how much mana/casting skill need to be applied to the spell for it to finish (cast). By setting it to zero, it basically casts instantly (the next turn).

Have fun. :xmas:
MoM_Junkie_Vebose is offline                         Send a private message to MoM_Junkie_Vebose
Old 21-04-2005, 05:34 AM   #93
TipsyMrWiggles

Been playin this game many years now and its fun to see all the insight on this great game.

My "cheap" unit that I have found nothing to beat is dwarven hammerhands. Just keep starting over till you get placed by some "purple crystals" (dunno the name, been callin em purple crystals forever, adatimate or somethin like that ) Well the attack bonus on these puppies and hammerhands make these units crush anything in their way, untouchable when they gain more levels, and if you are a warlord and they can gain that extra level... watch out.

Old 27-04-2005, 09:30 PM   #94
Jay

Master of Magic is my most favourite game.

Btw... death magic is also very powerfull... try to choose all death books... and choose wraith spell. The fastest you can, get 300 mana and cast wraiths. You can have them after 30-40 turns. In this state of game... almost nothing can stop them. ;-)
They can fly, are fast, immune to normal weapon, life draining... with a little logic, you can win game very easily.

Old 27-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #95
Jay

... and they also raise army of undead in their wake.

Old 27-04-2005, 10:36 PM   #96
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I usually prefer casting shadow demons first (at least I think that's how they're called: the purple red-eyed ranged units costing about 250 mana) because of their ranged attack that's quite powerful early in the game.
Old 30-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #97
Edge of Mitra

I have beaten this game on Impossible mode with everything but nature. The most imbalanced thing I would say is, Torin the Chosen. That guy is a robust unkillable nightmare, give him some cheesy items and watch him own. As far as units go, my friend played a pretty mean hafling/death combo that he could almost beat impossible with. Haflings slingers are the muck. Sorcery rocks, if you ever get Time Stop off, you can wreak some havoc, sky drakes are decent, the phantoms at the front own, flight is good. Confuse is the best spell for them though, it rocks the house. I beat Impossible very easy with Sorcery, considering I had to pump up Torin to win with Life, though I did that on my first or second try, took me more tries with Sorcery. I was never great with Nature, as far as races go, I'd have to say the dragon race, high men, dark elf, or haflings are the best. All the other races seemed lacking. Chaos magic is fun, you had some many spells that just wasted all of the opponents bases etc, if you got ahead of someone it was easy to win with Chaos, but you have to get spells like Chaos rift etc etc going before its very good, then have a million volcanoes set up to upkeep you spells.
Anyone else have a problem with some of the death spells? Like eternal darkness or something just crashed my game after a few turns of casting it, so was that ever fixed? as fast as heroes I liked to have, any one with noble/sage. I always booted Valana the bard, that bitch crashed my game. Mystic X was a pretty awesome random bit, the necro was good, the drake was decent, the chaos guy was decent, auron was decent, when it came down to hit giving them a platemail of X amount of power was all they needed. ;p I generally always did full books and alchemy for my caster, if I chose Myrran i went with Dark Elf then conquered some Drake cities and used the combination to own some things. Shadow Demons rock at the front, great for pestering opponents weaker cities.

This game rocks the house, hopefully the second one does to.

Old 30-04-2005, 10:24 PM   #98
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

As far as I know those errors crashing the game were never fixed, unfortunately...

Valana the bard never gave me trouble, so those errors seem to differ from user to user, to make things even worse :blink:

I usually preferred playing with Nature, though I don't think I've ever tried Impossible, as the level below it was already tediously time-consuming as it was. Nature's got some awesome summoning spells.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #99
Christian IV
Game freak

This game take a lot of learning, but the complexity seems worth
it, hard to remember everything.....but it sounds like it gets
easier with practice from readling the posts here. I hope so.

Last edited by arete; 27-10-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: :)'s fixed
Christian IV is offline                         Send a private message to Christian IV
Old 02-05-2005, 05:45 PM   #100
Gamefreak

Some powerful but hard way at the begin:
Summon Champion, get Warrax the Chaos Warrior. He has usually arcane power that gives him very good ranged attack, plus his shots pierce (lightning). Create the best staff you're able to with your magic books, that has 6 to attack, 3 to defense and 3 hit. Instead of defense eventually rather additional spell points.

At this point you can use a nice bug in the game. Before selecting the fourth, last ability of the staff, click on the spell charges. Select the spell you like, and the number of it you like. After it is marked as the fourth attribute, DESELECT it again, and choose something different as the fourth ability, like Death or Flaming, whatever. Now, when the staff casting is finished, you get the staff that has not 4 abilities, but all 5, as the charges of the spell remain even after de-selectiing them.

Ok, also create the best armor and misc item for him. Particulary flying and regeneration is the best choice for the misc item. Or Wraithform is good for being able to walk on water to the neighbour isles. And always don't forget to choose additional movement as an ability for the armor / misc items. With the best items, though you would probably have now very little gold and mana left, your hero will rock the field. He should now have 9 movement points, which is absolutely necessary. Send him against Sky Drakes or Great Drakes, and run away to far away place on the battlefiled when they're within one round of reachable range to you. And shoot them all to death. But be careful with the Great Wyrms. As they can merge, they'll reach him instantly and kill very fast, no run away there, unless he can fly through the artifact or is invisible. With such a good hero (ranged only, not melee) you can kill anything with little patience. Not only Warrax is necessarily the best, but even any ranged caster with Arcane Power will do. But Warrax usually has the best range of abilities, and he ALWAYS has piercing, which makes him so good.

:bye: