Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Search Forums:
Click here to use Advanced Search

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
gufetto
Forum hobbit
 
gufetto's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 25
Default How do I play Battlebeast on Windows 64 bit?

I used to love Battlebeast as a kid, but my Windows 7 won't make the game work anymore because it's a 64 bit system.
Is there any way to make it work? I would really love to play this again...
__________________
Buying a PS4 to play Golden Axe.
gufetto is offline                         Send a private message to gufetto
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.
 
dosraider's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dixmuide, Belgium
Posts: 2,767
Default

Runs in W3 -> dosbox 0.74+Win3x

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770

Or if you're up to it:
VPC2007+dos+W3
VPC2007+W98SE

Or find yourself an older PC-laptop ...............
__________________

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
gufetto
Forum hobbit
 
gufetto's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 25
Default

I've used Win3x and it works like a charm!! Well, I did get a bunch of weird error messages when launching the program for the first time, but Battlebeast works!

But now I have another problem. I've tried to use that same program to play "Metal & Lace - Ningyou Tsukai 2", but after I've installed it and tried to launch it, it always tells me this:


Cannot find DDRAW.DLL



What's this?? Where do I find that file and where do I put it?
__________________
Buying a PS4 to play Golden Axe.

Last edited by gufetto; 12-02-2014 at 12:14 PM.
gufetto is offline                         Send a private message to gufetto
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.
 
dosraider's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dixmuide, Belgium
Posts: 2,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufetto View Post

Cannot find DDRAW.DLL

What's this?? Where do I find that file and where do I put it?
DX error, means that DX isn't or properly installed or more probably : DX ver isn't right for that game......
Now, how to fix that:
First of all: Should be a 'readme' stating what DX ver you need to play the game.

There should normally be a suited DX 'install' or 'update' on your game's install media.
Check, if yes install DX from game media.
(be sure none of the win3 windows windows-sys files aren't flagged read only !!! )
If that dooesn't do it it gonna be a bit more complicated, you'll have to hunt for a newer DX ver that's isnstalled and install that, not simply copy-paste files but install newer DX ver in win3.
__________________

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
gufetto
Forum hobbit
 
gufetto's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
DX error, means that DX isn't or properly installed or more probably : DX ver isn't right for that game......
Now, how to fix that:
First of all: Should be a 'readme' stating what DX ver you need to play the game.

There should normally be a suited DX 'install' or 'update' on your game's install media.
Check, if yes install DX from game media.
(be sure none of the win3 windows windows-sys files aren't flagged read only !!! )
If that dooesn't do it it gonna be a bit more complicated, you'll have to hunt for a newer DX ver that's isnstalled and install that, not simply copy-paste files but install newer DX ver in win3.


Mmmh, nope, can't find any update/install thingie to fix the issue.
Not to mention that I'm so noobish I can't understand why you say DX while I say DDRAW.DLL

Heelp!

Perhaps I can try to upload the game (it's abandonware after all), and you can check yourself what's the issue?
__________________
Buying a PS4 to play Golden Axe.
gufetto is offline                         Send a private message to gufetto
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
dosraider
Dismembered.
 
dosraider's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dixmuide, Belgium
Posts: 2,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufetto View Post
Not to mention that I'm so noobish I can't understand why you say DX while I say DDRAW.DLL

Heelp!
Djees man, do you want me to explain the whole ins and outs of windows ...?????? Do you want a 5000 pages long tech blah blah explanation? You won't get it from me.

I say DX because ddraw.dll is part of DirectX , AKA as DirectX Application Program(ming) Interface (API) etcetera etcetera......
Started as DX 1.0 ..... and had a lot of updates since then...........
If you wanna know more: google, wiki, programmers sites, ......... and more, happy reading and learning.

If your game needs ddraw.dll: install the right ver of DX and you're all set.

Again: install it, not just copy/paste.

[Edit]
Ah well : http://www.oldversion.com/windows/directx/

[Edit²]
Now that I think about it, is Ningyou Tsukai 2 a game that even can run on Win3 or does it needs Win9X .....?????
If it's a Win9X game you'll need VPC2007+Win9X, not dosbox Win3.

I have no idea and info on the net is scarce, so better look for the game's readme or similar ......

[Edit³]
The rare info on the net about this obscure game seems to indicate it's a W9x game, if so you're screwed, won't run in Win3.
Yeah yeah some can if you do tricks with win32 and similar, but reading gufetto's posts till now, good luck getting him to do so ... no pun intended.
__________________

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 12-02-2014 at 03:30 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
gufetto
Forum hobbit
 
gufetto's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 25
Default

Well, that wasn't very nice of you to act like I'm a retarded just because I happen to not be an expert of tech stuff.
I'm a high school teacher; imagine if I were to act like you did whenever one of my students asks a silly question or doesn't understand something.
I always say that when the student keeps not understanding, the teacher must try to see if perhaps their explanation wasn't good enough.

Now, for example, how is linking me to an old version of DirectX going to fix my problem? Surely a very stupid question for someone like you who happens to know a lot about computer stuff. But not everyone is like you, and perhaps they want to learn.

I'm using basic logic to assume old DirectX contains the DDRAW.DLL. Now, here's another very stupid question: installing that old DirectX won't bring other issues to my machine, will it?

(I'm a she, by the way. And I'm pretty sure I can learn to do tricks with win32 and similar... if I get a good explanation.)
__________________
Buying a PS4 to play Golden Axe.

Last edited by gufetto; 12-02-2014 at 05:38 PM.
gufetto is offline                         Send a private message to gufetto
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
dosraider
Dismembered.
 
dosraider's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dixmuide, Belgium
Posts: 2,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufetto View Post
Well, that wasn't very nice of you to act like I'm a retarded just because I happen to not be an expert of tech stuff.
I'm a high school teacher; imagine if I were to act like you did whenever one of my students asks a silly question or doesn't understand something.
I always say that when the student keeps not understanding, the teacher must try to see if perhaps their explanation wasn't good enough
- I'm not your teacher.
- I told you why I mentioned DX regarding your ddraw.dll problem.
- 'High school teacher' doesn't make you smarter than someone else.
- etcetera .. you had answers, and as I said: no pun intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufetto View Post
I'm using basic logic to assume old DirectX contains the DDRAW.DLL. Now, here's another very stupid question: installing that old DirectX won't bring other issues to my machine, will it?
Only problems can occur in dosbox, that is as long you followed the basic instructions and work on your virtual C in dosbox, dosbox can only access what YOU mounted as virtual C, nothing else.
Of course if you do a mount c c:\ you're taking risks, and as we're talking altering sysfiles here, even old ones, you can indeed harm your 'machine' as you seems to call your PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufetto View Post
(I'm a she, by the way. And I'm pretty sure I can learn to do tricks with win32 and similar... if I get a good explanation.)
You seems to have a reading problem, 'high school teacher ' or not, you already had an answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
I say DX because ddraw.dll is part of DirectX , AKA as DirectX Application Program(ming) Interface (API) etcetera etcetera......
Started as DX 1.0 ..... and had a lot of updates since then...........
If you wanna know more: google, wiki, programmers sites, ......... and more, happy reading and learning.
The whole internet is filled with instructions - explanations about this subject, you'll have to dig your way through it if you want to understand it.
In very short and incomplete style:
->There are several DirectX versions, mostly newer are coping with older ones and include the instructions, but not always/obligatory.
So sometimes to get a game/soft running that needs a specific instruction set from an older one you'll need to install the correct version.
-> It can, (can, not will) screw things up for newer versions, however Win7 /8 seems to cope with them problems.
-> as long you mount a folder as virtual C in dosbox and work within dosbox nothing bad will happen with your 'machine' as dosbox can only access/alter files in that virtual C folder. Dosbox can't alter files on your 'machine' itself.

And once again: dig in your game install files, pretty sure there is a readme or similar, and in those days it was usual to include the needed DX version install files (can be named 'redist' ....)
Other possibility: you downloaded incomplete installation media?

Still remains the question: can this game run in W3 or does it need W9X? I have no idea.
High school teacher seems to like asking stuffs and seems to expect longwinded detailed answers but doesn't like to answer simple questions ....
__________________

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD
 
The Fifth Horseman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Opole, Poland
Posts: 14,264
Default

Don't take Dosraider personally. He's like that all the time.

Dosraider, what did I tell you about biting newcomers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gufetto View Post
Now, for example, how is linking me to an old version of DirectX going to fix my problem? Surely a very stupid question for someone like you who happens to know a lot about computer stuff. But not everyone is like you, and perhaps they want to learn.

I'm using basic logic to assume old DirectX contains the DDRAW.DLL. Now, here's another very stupid question: installing that old DirectX won't bring other issues to my machine, will it?

(I'm a she, by the way. And I'm pretty sure I can learn to do tricks with win32 and similar... if I get a good explanation.)
Right, this solution... won't work.

Dosraider linked you to DirectX because he assumed it was possible to set it up in Windows 3 ran in DOSBox.

As he seems to have realized later, though (and should have from the start - now it's our turn to at him ), that is not the case - DirectX was developed for Windows 95 and above.

Installing that version of DirectX is flat out impossible on modern Windows versions, which come with DirectX already bundled.

Metal and Lace 2 can run on Windows XP - I've done so myself some years ago - so the first thing you should try is running it in compatibility mode (context menu on the game's executable -> Properties -> Compatibility).
If that doesn't work, there is another solution: you'll need Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and a setup disk for an older Windows version - anything from 95 to XP. MSVPC allows you to create a virtual machine and install an older version of Windows inside that, then run the game in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You seems to have a reading problem, 'high school teacher ' or not, you already had an answer.

Still remains the question: can this game run in W3 or does it need W9X? I have no idea.
High school teacher seems to like asking stuffs and seems to expect longwinded detailed answers but doesn't like to answer simple questions ....
*cough* Dosraider, you seem to forget that not everyone's a techie, nor has over a decade's experience in running very old games on modern systems. Things you and I consider obvious and take for granted are far from either to a typical computer user.
__________________

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 12-02-2014 at 08:30 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
gufetto
Forum hobbit
 
gufetto's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
- I'm not your teacher.
- I told you why I mentioned DX regarding your ddraw.dll problem.
- 'High school teacher' doesn't make you smarter than someone else.
- etcetera .. you had answers, and as I said: no pun intended.

Hey, I didn't intend to mention that I'm a teacher to imply that would mean I am smarter (I wish that were true, but I know all too well some teachers are stupid).
I was just saying that because of my job I kinda know how to explain things, and one of the requirements is patience and never acting as if the other person is less intelligent only because they know less about you on a subject.

You're not my teacher; but you're explaining me something (and I am very thankful for that!), and so I was saying perhaps you should explain it with less of an attitude. But never mind. You're still helping me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Still remains the question: can this game run in W3 or does it need W9X? I have no idea.
Well, if it helps, I used to play it on a W9X system back in the days, but now I've installed it on that emulated Win3.X and at least the installation went correctly. It only asks me for that DDRAW.DLL file when I try to launch the game.

I can't find any readme file. But I've downloaded the game off the internet because it's been a lot of years and I don't remember at all where my game copy is. It does look like it's the full, working game, tho.

Now, please bear with me, as I'm probably thick-minded on these things, but... you mention that mounting c: on dosbox after installing the old DirectX, in a way that looks like you're implying that I should install that DirectX not on actual windows, but only on the dosbox folder? Is that so? If so, how do I do it?
__________________
Buying a PS4 to play Golden Axe.
gufetto is offline                         Send a private message to gufetto
Reply With Quote
Reply


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using D-Fend Reloader to play a windows 3 game TheNuttyProfessor Troubleshooting 3 23-09-2012 10:08 AM
Let's Play Jimmy Bojangles Gaming Zone 4 30-03-2008 10:23 PM
How Do I Get To Play Them FISHCHAIR Troubleshooting 4 07-08-2006 05:09 PM
A Way To Play Older Windows Games? Doc Adrian Tech Corner 11 30-06-2005 08:45 PM
Windows Xp - Windows Explorer Search Braindead Tech Corner 2 05-01-2005 09:41 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump
 


The current time is 08:01 PM (GMT)

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.