Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Default Seemingly random logouts

This has been happening long enough that's it's probably in a FAQ somewhere, but I feel like talking about it anyway. I can't pin down why the forum feels it's necessary to log me out randomly. I can understand being logged out after a long interval of inactivity, but this is not always the case. Sometimes I'll be in the middle of reading a thread, and I'll get dumped to the "You are not logged in" page when I click on anything. If I click on the main page, it logs me back in again, and I can then go back to the forums and resume what I was doing.

This is not a major issue, but it can be really annoying when I'm editing a review in the Grammar forum, as that often takes quite a while. I've learned to preview posts frequently while working on them, so that the forum knows I'm still alive, and also to copy posts in progress to the clipboard before submitting them, lest they be lost forever.
Old 31-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

never happened to me o_O
only because of inactivity. perhaps you were 'translating' a page for too long and got logged out? i think it logs you out after about 10/15 minutes

btw if you're worried about losing your translation, you can always click "back" and the stuff you've written so far is still in the old editbox. if it's not you can even ctrl+z
Old 31-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Yeah, I've used the back button on occasion when I've forgotten to grab a copy of something. The logouts just aren't consistent. In fact, it happened to me a little while ago as I was browsing the forum. Having finished reading a thread, I clicked on the main forum page and noticed that none of the forums where showing new posts. It was obvious I had been logged out, so I went to the front page, then back to the forum, and I was back in. It's just weird...
Old 31-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

You're using the vbulletin link when accessing the forum?
Old 31-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

I've always found the behaviour consistent, but tricky. First your session expires in a very short time, however it's renewed whenever you load a page of the site proper, that is the ones that have the tabs (site navigation, ab network...) on top (including www.abandonia.com/en/forum). Loading a page of the forum (www.abandonia.com/vbullet/) without this site frame around doesn't renew your session if it's expired, although I think its duration is refreshed if the session isn't expired.

Beats the Hell out of me why would the designers want this behaviour.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Interesting, Japo. And for what it's worth, I don't use the vbulletin link to access the forum; I click the Forum tab of the main page, which takes me to http://www.abandonia.com/en/forum.

EDIT: I need to amend my statement. I use the Forum tab to initially get to the forums, but once there, I typically click on the vbulletin links to get around.

Last edited by Fruit Pie Jones; 02-04-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Addition
Fruit Pie Jones is offline                         Send a private message to Fruit Pie Jones
Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Yes, I noticed this phenomena only on vbullet links, since the first time I used the forums.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
Japo
Autonomous human

I forgot to say, you go to /vbullet/ by default whenever you open a link in a new tab or window. If you just left-click the same link you should stay (it might depend on the browser) in /en/forum if that's where you were (if the site navigation tabs were visible above).
Old 04-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

It doesn't log you out; your session merely expires. Clicking on the forum tab renews your session whereas clicking on vbulletin links does not. Vaguely annoying on this phone simply because the ads aren't visible in /vbullet and they're a waste of precious bandwidth.

I can only occasionally post in the cb since the forum was tweaked a couple of weeks ago, and i'm grumpy.

Also welcome back, Japo

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 04-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
Also welcome back, Japo
Thanks. I'm still landing.