Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #31
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by macbeth@Oct 16 2005, 10:08 AM
I have problems starting the game. After the intro it keeps telling me that I have "not enough high memory". Can anyone help me?
It sounds like you're not running the game in Dosbox... You can find it as well as a manual on how to use it at http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=programs
A front-end to Dosbox that makes it a lot easier to use, can be downloaded from members.home.nl/mabus/dfend.htm
Old 10-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #32
Guest_Adrian

when i try to run this i just get all lines on my screen. any answers?

Old 18-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #33
GuestSpoiler

POTENTIAL SPOILER

To switch to different solutions from title page use ALT + 1.

Ok, i`ve done 1-3, but can`t access solutions 4/5 beacues you need to register. 1 and 3 are VERY easy to solve, the suspects are strongly implicated by the evidence/witness statements early on. 2 I found hard, i ran it through to the fifth murder and couldn`t solve it (i was suspecting the right person but couldn`t pin down the evidence to implicate them), on a second run (after reassuring myself i had the right suspect) i solved it by the second murder. Solution 2 has kind of a twist if you run it right through to the last murder which can be off putting, but if you think logically you should stay on the right track.

Anyone know how you access 4 and 5?

Old 27-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #34

Is it possible to see some example of premise's combination?
Thank you in advance.

Old 26-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #35
AA

The game seems very interesting and those realistic entries are just marvelous, but i cannot really play, even in the DOSbox, as the mouse pointer just goes to all the possible directions except for the one needed. I tried to play with the CPUs and the frameskip, but the result is the same - it's a pain to click. Did anyone had some problem like that?
Thanks a lot!

Old 27-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #36
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Use Dynamic Core and high cyclecount. Something around 20 000 or higher.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #37
AA

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 27 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]245429[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Use Dynamic Core and high cyclecount. Something around 20 000 or higher.
[/b]
Thanks a lot!!!! I'll try that!

Old 09-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #38
Sherlock

<_<

I'm sorry to say that, but the game is - as far as concerning its game character - crap.
I'm especially sorry to say that, because first it seemed quite interesting but soon turned out to be a major disappointment.

The only good thing is that it is quite well researched incorporating authentic places and persons.

The fact that the graphics weren't up to date for 1995, that you won't hear a bleep of sound from your loudspeakers (or is it just me?) and that the interface is a little bit cumbersome wouldn't hurt that much if the game itself would give you anything.
And yes, as long as you play it it's quite fun. First I needed to learn how to do the job and how to use the interface. Once I got to that point I restarted the first case and solved all three accessable cases in less than an hour (not meaning less than an hour for each individual case, but for all three cases in a row). Without underestimating the content of the individual cases I can state that I could provide a walkthrough for cases 1 + 3 in just one or two longer sentences and maybe two or three longer sentences for case 2. The rest is filled with false leads and clues and so on. There also may be some additional clues to gather that I did not get, but even then it's laughable that you can solve case 3 for instance by just interviewing one person doing a short search on the crime scene and making two obvious conclusions out of it, without ever leaving the first scene!
Furthermore the short content is quite straightforward, as long as you don't have the attention span of an average monkey. You'll notice the important hints and leads instantly, which will push you directly to the solution, combining premises for conclusions is trivial and obvious, and so on.

Nope, the idea surely was good and could have been a good base for a good game, but with that utter lack of content (in terms of gameplay) you cannot consider this one a proper game. I just gave it a rating of 1.

Old 29-11-2006, 04:49 AM   #39
Dr. Watson

Ignore Sherlock. He's just being arrogant and condescending (much like his namesake).

He was, however, right (much like his namesake) in that the cases can be solved very quickly if you make the right connections. One mistake I made before getting a feel for the game (NB: I have only played solutions 1, 2, and 3 (if you haven't finished #1 yet, when you do you can replay and pick a different solution where someone else will be the ripper, but it wants you to send in a registration card before you get solutions 4 and 5)) was thinking that some of the more obvious clues had to have been decoys and that there must have been something more sinister, such as an attempted framing, going on.
If you're stuck a few things to try are:
a) For premises x and y where x seems to go with y, check for a z that is similar but may not seem to fit as well to your mind;
VERY OBFUSCATED SPOILER IN HERE
b) Where premise x seems to go with y, check to make sure there is not a smaller step that you must go through first ie. x didn't happen before one o clock and had already happened at two o clock, therefore it happened between one and two, then combine that conclusion, with z that happened before one o clock, rather than combining x and z directly.
END SPOILER

c) Plan your movements logically, using information you have gathered to decide where to go next rather than going somewhere random, this way you are less likely to spend time in irrelevant areas.

d) If you are still running out of time use the save and load feature to check out areas, and reload if nothing productive happens.

e) ORGANISE YOUR JOURNAL! Use double click to rename premises to something more meaningful as you gather more information and ESC to bring up the second journal window so you can put related things together.

Sadly the game does become somewhat under-challenging once you figure out how it all works, but if anyone is still having trouble feel free to email me at The electric monkey at hot mail dot com (remove the spaces yadda yadda at equals @ dot = .).

PS: If anyone knows where I might get hold of the fourth and fifth solutions I would be most grateful.

Old 30-11-2006, 05:34 AM   #40

This game looks good but it is hardly playable for me! TOO SLOW! I've played around in DosBox with different cycles around 10000-20000 cycles and frameskips from 1-3. Still the same! Sometimes it works with a smooth mouse instead of a half-frozen one but once I click anything is gets slow! Nothing changes...

I'm running on 1.6Ghz WinXP with DosBox.

Any ideas what to do?