Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Offers
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #131
Professor Oak
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiDoL View Post
I know the DOOM series is still sold and protected, but since you already have a page for DOOM II on the main site, I think it'd be fair if I offered the original DOOM to be put on. Since I'm a MAJOR DOOM fanatic, I'd be able to supply you with a endless amount of goodies for both games. I'd name some goodies, but oh there's just too many of them that I know...

Plus, I think it's high time that the DOOM II page got revamped. The screenshots were taken in the game's low detail mode and are thus poor quality, and I don't think the review on the page meets Abandonia's new review requirements. Please allow me to revamp that page. Trust me, I'll do it great justice...
The images use the original size limitations for the game. Besides, I do agree that they need mixing up a little.
Professor Oak is offline                         Send a private message to Professor Oak
Old 18-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #132
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

For starters, since both DOOM pages are gonna be jam-packed with all this stuff that I mentioned, we should replace the Title Screen pics (which you see when you search for games on Abandonia) with THESE:
SpiDoL is offline                         Send a private message to SpiDoL
Old 20-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #133
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I think that we also use ingame shots as title shots (or listing shots). Also, I'm not sure is it safe to use official pictures over ingame shots, although it does sound a bit silly when I say it like this...
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 21-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #134
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

OK, I'm gonna explain one of the goodies I was talking about:

SOURCE PORTS
Source Ports are what really make DOOM fun nowadays, and the majority of DOOM fans prefer them over DOSBox in order to play the game. Source Ports are basically EXEs for DOOM, whether it be on Windows XP/Vista/7, Linux, or other systems (including consoles and handhelds).

However, they up the ante a bit by adding features that were never implemented or were not possible in the original game, such as modern gameplay (jumping, free look, etc.), OpenGL graphics, 3D models and HD textures, MP3/OGG music and sound, online multiplayer, and other minor and/or major tweaks.

The Source Ports I was going to link to and maybe make archives of (without the commercial WADs of course) would be:
ZDOOM - The most popular and well-known DOOM source port.
http://zdoom.org/About
GZDOOM - Same as ZDOOM, but now with OpenGL support.
http://www.osnanet.de/c.oelckers/gzdoom/about.html
DOOMsday - Many people use this port for the heavily upgraded graphics and audio.
http://dengine.net/
Skulltag - The best source port for online multiplayer.
http://www.skulltag.com/
These are the ports I like to use, but it's not limited to this. There's so much more out there...
Old 21-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #135
Professor Oak
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiDoL View Post
OK, I'm gonna explain one of the goodies I was talking about:

SOURCE PORTS
Source Ports are what really make DOOM fun nowadays, and the majority of DOOM fans prefer them over DOSBox in order to play the game. Source Ports are basically EXEs for DOOM, whether it be on Windows XP/Vista/7, Linux, or other systems (including consoles and handhelds).

However, they up the ante a bit by adding features that were never implemented or were not possible in the original game, such as modern gameplay (jumping, free look, etc.), OpenGL graphics, 3D models and HD textures, MP3/OGG music and sound, online multiplayer, and other minor and/or major tweaks.

The Source Ports I was going to link to and maybe make archives of (without the commercial WADs of course) would be:
ZDOOM - The most popular and well-known DOOM source port.
http://zdoom.org/About
GZDOOM - Same as ZDOOM, but now with OpenGL support.
http://www.osnanet.de/c.oelckers/gzdoom/about.html
DOOMsday - Many people use this port for the heavily upgraded graphics and audio.
http://dengine.net/
Skulltag - The best source port for online multiplayer.
http://www.skulltag.com/
These are the ports I like to use, but it's not limited to this. There's so much more out there...
You forgot about Boom and Chocolate Doom.
Professor Oak is offline                         Send a private message to Professor Oak
Old 21-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #136
Japo
Autonomous human

The listing shots are supposed to be the logos from the game, and they get downsized to 180 pixels wide, so it would be a waste. But those images could be extras, where are they from, are they fan-made?

We know about the ports, but I don't know how they fit in Abandonia.
Old 21-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #137
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
But those images could be extras, where are they from, are they fan-made?
I was thinking about it too. It seems by the signature that those are official pictures by ID software. So perhaps, and only perhaps, they might fit into extras or boxshots under something... like poster, commercial or whatever... Spidol, where do these pics come from and what are they used for?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 22-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #138
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

@marko:
I just did a google search and found them. They'd mainly be used for the title screens in HD texture packs.
Old 23-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #139
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hmmm, I'm not sure how to use them... anyone?
Old 25-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #140
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

Sorry to sound rude, but what's the holdup? Everyone here thinks adding a DOOM 1 page and revamping both pages is a good idea, so why don't we get cracking?