Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
XaviorPenguin

Question A Lode Runner Clone for DOS

Hello and thank you for this site. I have stumbled across it trying to find a game that I haven't played since I was in elementary school.

If you go to this link here:
This pretty much sums it up, however, let me paste the important bits (my own editions will be in a BOLD font)
Quote:
I've been searching for the name of this old DOS game I used to play but haven't had any luck finding it. It was was back in the day (mid-late 80s) when I played games like 3-Demon, Rogue, Jump Joe, and Q-Bert. You were basically a big smiling face with little feet that ran around an assortment of levels avoiding enemies using the arrow keys. There was some strategy in the game where you could remove a block of floor next to you where an enemy would fall in or to access items that you needed to pass each level. You couldn't remove the floor directly below you... only one space to the side... so you could easily get stuck in a hole you made. There were also a lot of ladders in the game. There were tons of different levels (and worlds I think). There wasn't any music while you were playing but there were sound effects and a short little intro song (which is stuck in my head!) before every level. I also distinctly remember different types of floor that either made you run faster or slower (pink floor was slower).
Quote:
I don't know the technical name (maybe EGA graphics)... but the color scheme was primaraly made up of different shades of pinks, blues, and yellows... similar to pc zaxxon or q-bert. (I know that the colors could be changed by way of hitting a Function key on the keyboard. It would cycle through various color schemes)
Quote:
hmmmz... keep in mind I was 7 maybe 8 when I played this game (I was around the same age and I think I was in 1st grade), but I do recall the character being entirely white, a noticable smile on its face (the face was basically the entire body) and some vertical lines looking like spikey hair. I remember the cheesy music completely... but I don't think that helps you =P Also... I'm pretty convinced that the game was made by someone associated with a university, but don't know which one... I don't remember the name, but if I saw it, I know I would recognize it. It seems like the name was two words and one of those words being a name... but that part is pretty vague in my mind...
In addition: the computers we had I believe had a very, very small hard drive in it that after it booted up, it would show that computer in very basic ASCII graphics that would say to put in the 3.5in floppy in and to hit, I believe F2 (could be wrong) to execute the game.

I had a touch of nostalgia today and now I am on my quest to find this game. I could not tell you the name of that game unfortunately. Just like the poster on that link provided, I have no clue. It does remind me of a Lode Runner clone but I cannot find that game.

Any help would be appreciated. Again, thank you for this place. I can't wait to contribute to it when I can.

When did you play the game?
- Late 80's Possibly early 90's

What computer did it run on?
- IBM and compatibles: Possibly 80386

What operating system did the computer run?
- DOS

What were the graphics like?
- CGA or EGA

What was the music like?
- PC Beeper

Were there speech?
- No

What was the gameplay like?
- Arcade, Lode Runner Clone

Which perspective were you given there?
- 2D, Did not scroll

Last edited by XaviorPenguin; 17-12-2013 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to read rules on how to request.
XaviorPenguin is offline                         Send a private message to XaviorPenguin
Old 17-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Apple Panic quite fit your description...

...scanning more...

Ah, forget it, I found your game.

It's Freddy's Rescue Roundup.
Old 18-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
XaviorPenguin

This is very similar to what I am looking for. This one game I have in my head was one that the character you are controlling is a bit smaller than this individual. Plus, I don't think he had hair. The ladders and such were smaller and I didn't see (on a video I watched) that you could knock out the floor from them.

I may be mistakenly adding other features in this game I /vaguely/ remember, but this game is very close to what I remember. I am still looking but this is very (insert harsh "F" word here ending with "ing") close.

Thank you!
XaviorPenguin is offline                         Send a private message to XaviorPenguin
Old 18-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaviorPenguin View Post
Plus, I don't think he had hair.
Hey, it's yours "some vertical lines looking like spikey hair", no?
Quote:
The ladders and such were smaller and I didn't see (on a video I watched) that you could knock out the floor from them.
I tested game itself, and you indeed can knock out floor - it's core gameplay feature after all.

Also, it's only game that I know that indeed have "change color" feature, on F5 button, so I honestly doubt that there is another such game in the existance.
Old 23-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
XaviorPenguin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Hey, it's yours "some vertical lines looking like spikey hair", no?

I tested game itself, and you indeed can knock out floor - it's core gameplay feature after all.

Also, it's only game that I know that indeed have "change color" feature, on F5 button, so I honestly doubt that there is another such game in the existance.

Rock on! Thank you again for the hard work. I am sure it is the one but as we all know, memory fades with age.

You are awesome!