Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 25-01-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Tom Henrik is offline                         Send a private message to Tom Henrik
Old 17-01-2007, 02:05 AM   #2
Elvarg

Funny how I suggested the game, not once but twice, with more than a year between requests, and both times it was rejected; the second time the thread was locked and I was informed that Zeliard will not be added because it was published by Sierra.

Anyways, grats on finally putting it on. Truly wonderful game.
Elvarg is offline                         Send a private message to Elvarg
Old 17-01-2007, 03:32 AM   #3
Romstar

Great game and fantastic music on my mt-32 (like all old Sierra games).

Old 17-01-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
stijnelijn

So that blonde in the screenshot is the emperor of chaos? I would have imagined her different.

Old 17-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
MV75
Abandonia nerd

Nah, that's Princess Felicia.

Anyways, I love this game. I bought it when it first came out and I still have the 100% original everything with it.

Ok, what you want to do to play it.

1. Play in dosbox. Set cycles to 8000.

2. Before playing the game, run install.exe On the graphics selection, choose MCGA 64colours. Seriously, don't choose EGA, choose MCGA and the game will look one zillion times better. You'll notice all the "hashing" has gone for one, and the colours are much better.

When you choose audio, choose adlib/soundblaster for sounds and music. For some reason I reckon the soundblaster option sounds the best for music instead of the roland mt-32 option, especially once you reach the gold brick caverns later in the game.

3. During gameplay, you can change the game speed by pressing F9, then choosing 0-9 (slowest to fastest). You want to remember this one as when you are in a dungeon, you slowly recover health over time, and putting the speed up to 9 will make you auto heal very very fast. But make sure you are well out of the way of any spawning monsters as they do respawn after some time, and at a speed of 9 you will die in half a second if they hit you. A good place would be at the top of a rope that doesn't have an open ceiling above it for example.

Also the fastest speed is useful in crossing from one side of a town to the other.

Set the speed back to about 5 to regain "normal" speed again.

And don't let your sheild reach 0 health or you have to buy a new one.

Also, if you hold onto your almas until the 2nd or 3rd town I think it is, you can get it exchanged at a 1-8 rate which is the best in the game. Also inns get more expensive the further you progress as well, and you really don't need to stay at one either, as it's probably cheaper to buy the magic restore stuff at the alchemist to recover spells, or just talk to the sage and see power (gain a level). And you only need your spells for boss creatures anyway.

Also, it is possible to do the entire game without dying, I have several times. Just make sure to visit the sage in town regularly to save.

Make sure to swing your sword at walls to find hidden almas and healing potions. Also when you find them, the elevator things are used with the up/down keys. And be careful of things that may look like elevators, but they just go down when you step on them and you have no control over them until they hit the bottom. And, try running into some walls, there are one way walls you can pass through.

I almost forgot, yes it is possible to back track to previous towns.
________
Depakote Class Action Lawsuit

Last edited by MV75; 05-05-2011 at 09:11 AM.
MV75 is offline                         Send a private message to MV75
Old 17-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elvarg @ Jan 17 2007, 04:05 AM) [snapback]275224[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Funny how I suggested the game, not once but twice, with more than a year between requests, and both times it was rejected; the second time the thread was locked and I was informed that Zeliard will not be added because it was published by Sierra.[/b]
The second time it was a necro, and that is why the thread was locked. No other reason.

As for the fact that I told you it wouldn't be added - at the time things weren't exactly clear with the ESA protection periods, particularly when talking about Sierra games. When talking about ESA, it's always better to stay on the cautious side.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MV75 @ Jan 17 2007, 08:29 AM) [snapback]275238[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Anyways, I love this game. I bought it when it first came out and I still have the 100% original everything with it.[/b]
Awesome!

Any chance that we might get some Scans from the game?

And Elvarg, you requested the game before I had made my deal with ESA. In that time we had a strict absolutely no games by any ESA members. Simple as that. I am sorry if you feel that the game should have been put up sooner, or feel that we do not listen to the requests of our members. We really do care, but we also have to make sure that we do not put up games that can be considered dangeous to the site, and as your requests were made a long time ago we ask that you forgive us for forgetting them in the passage of time.

Edit:
Seems like TFH beat me too it. :P
Old 17-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
MV75
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Jan 17 2007, 10:04 PM) [snapback]275335[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MV75 @ Jan 17 2007, 08:29 AM) [snapback]275238[/snapback]
Quote:
Anyways, I love this game. I bought it when it first came out and I still have the 100% original everything with it.[/b]
Awesome!

Any chance that we might get some Scans from the game?

[/b][/quote]

If I had a scanner, I'd be more than happy to scan the whole lot. But sorry, I don't.

I also remembered this site here

http://zeliardgame.tripod.com/index.html

If you get stuck at any point, it's got some great information. Especially on boss battles. The maps on those pages are also divided up scans of the large map sheet that came with the game. It's pretty much a requirement if you want to get anywhere, and came in real handy when I first bought the game. No internet access back then, I had to use what came with the game to finish it.
________
Missionary Fuck

Last edited by MV75; 05-05-2011 at 09:12 AM.
MV75 is offline                         Send a private message to MV75
Old 18-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #9
Semi-Wise

Great game. I remember playing this when I was younger, always got stuck in one of the caves, though. Have to use a walkthrough once I get there.

Funny, I was thinking about this game about three days before you guys put it up...

One problem I'm having though. When I emulate it with Dosbox (0.65), I can't load a previous savegame. It just starts me at the very beginning. If I run the game by just double clicking game.bat, I can load my savegames, even ones saved while playing in Doxbox. Anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it.

Thanks for putting the game out and for any help with this.

Old 18-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #10
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Are you sure that you are loading the saves correctly? When you press F7 to load, the default option is "Restart".

I did not have any problems loading any games in DOSBox using Zeliard.exe