Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review & Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 25-01-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 16-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
The least you can do is create a small party of heroes and let them all be killed at the hand of Ogres once for old time’s sake!

It won't be unlimited, but it will be an adventure![/b]
LOL Good one, man.
Old 16-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

at last this gem is here great this one is one of my favorites since it is the editor to the best (in my opinion of course) RPG´s from SSI

thumps up

DungeonCraft Home

could be a free alternative to FRUA/UA, since FRUA/UA is still ESA protected (or is it now a days ?).

Last edited by WolverineDK; 24-02-2021 at 08:31 PM.
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 16-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #4

dear god. this is to the reviewer: how can you even review the game and not explore the main feature of it?! it was created to serve as an rpg builder, the skull crag scenario that it comes with is really merely a demonstraion of what can be done. there was an incredible amount of mods and add-ons put out for this game. furthermore, eye of the beholder came out in 91'. eye of the beholder 3 came out in 93... and i'm sure lands of lore came out in 93' as well. in fact, they're very close to each other because ssi made the eye series, with westwood developing, westwood decided to go their own way and make lands of lore: throne of chaos. although i digress...

back to what i was saying. this was an attempt to create the "gold box" D&D games that ssi put out on your own. {treasures of the savage frontier, curse of the azure bonds, pool of radience etc.,} these games were very popular for their day. the incredible customizing you could do with the unlimited adventures set was pretty bold for when it came out too. i'm curious how old you are? i'd guess somewhere in the teens, for it's pretty obvious that you have no patience to do a through and through test and exploration of the game you were given to review, or point of reference to old dos games. if not, then you should be ashamed of yourself. {i'm only 24 and i have good memories of dos gaming in my childood. if you're younger than try to keep an open mind, if you're older...} frankly your review was slap dash and you should do better in the future. either that, or go back to playing games that only those with minute amounts of attention span can handle. enough being mean. i do want to say, that you review was well written however. it kept me entertained. it is not the best dos game. not by a long shot. but your review was... crappy. no if's and's or but's about it.

Old 16-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

Guest: I couldn't agree with you more, than you said, and maybe he should tune his English grammar a bit up.

Since I am 24 years too, and I have played the old SSI role playing games, and loved them a lot (on Amiga, and C64, and of course on PC), and they were great, and one of my friend has the gold box , and sadly FRUA is not among them. But all the good old ones are, and I even remember, there was a "gold box" of Bards Tale compilation back then.

Last edited by WolverineDK; 09-05-2011 at 11:25 AM.
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 16-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
SenorOcho

I'm 23 myself, and I was even part of the FRUA community back in the day. k:
I also agree that the review just doesn't do the game any justice whatsoever - Yeah, the pregen adventure that came with the system was crap, but there were tons of great modules out there...

Does anyone happen to have links to places that still have those mods? There was also another program required to really get the best out of it, though (let you edit items, spells, and more). Its been a long time, so I can't remember much.

But doing a quick google search, I DID find Autery's page!!!

http://members.aol.com/autery/ :brain:

Old 16-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #7
SenorOcho

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SenorOcho @ Jul 16 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]243502[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
There was also another program required to really get the best out of it, though.
[/b]
Found that, too - it was called UA Shell!

http://home.earthlink.net/~uashell/

Old 16-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
GrimFang4
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to GrimFang4

I have to agree that this review was really bad. If I'm going to review a game, I would do research on it and make sure that I'm not making everyone who reads the review angry. I would have reviewed this game myself, but I don't know how to tell which games are in the queue. I spent quite a few hours on this game when I was little, just messing with all the various features of the editor. I guess I'm kinda the reverse of GameBringer, since I thoroughly tinkered with the editor and barely played the built-in adventure. The bigger difference, though, is that if I were to review it, I would spend a lot of time trying to advance through the built-in story (the part that I lack in). I still have my original adventure files just as I still have the CD. It made me sad that no effort was put into the review, unless you call it effort when you play once with two characters and die right away. What's worse, GameBringer probably has never played Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

...Is there a way to replace this review? I really am offended.
Old 16-07-2006, 11:02 PM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If you want to provide a better review, just contact one of the Admins and send them your review. They'll look at it and tell you what can be done.

The graphics of this game are about identical to the Dragon Lance PC Game serie I played in my youth (Champion of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, etc)... Those were the good days.
Old 16-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #10
MC

The review was terrible, plain and simple. If you are thorough and you genuinely believe the game warrants a 2 out of 5 then by all means... but by the reviewer's admission he didn't even play through the MAIN FEATURE of the game! That's akin to reviewing a film and giving it a score after watching just the trailer... it's bad, bad, bad.