Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Well?
No! Human life is sacred! 3 13.64%
Well, there MUST be some other way, right? 2 9.09%
No, as this would just serve as a cover for legal genocide 12 54.55%
Almost... the proposal doesn't respect free will, let's offer people "suicide contracts" (with some compensation to them/their families) imstead. 0 0%
I support the proposal. And If the future needs it, I would report in to be killed. 0 0%
I support the proposal. The pink slip would be a mistake, so I would use the rest of my time to go from one institution to another, trying to prove it. 0 0%
I support the proposal. Now mind you the whole situation could never happen, but if I got the 'slip' I would immediately know it was going wrong and join some anti-utopian partisan group in the local woods/mountains. 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #31
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by a1s@Mar 17 2006, 12:58 PM
Quote:
A world where billions are killed and strict limits are forced on the survivors freedoms is not a utopia.
true. it's more like what sci-fi writers call anti-utopia, but who'd want to bulid that?
I believe the term is "distopia", if I'm not mistaken. 1984, Lord of the Flies, Chrysallids, Animal Farm, blah dee blah blah...
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 17-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #32
a1s
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGiantMidgit@Mar 17 2006, 11:25 PM
I believe the term is "distopia", if I'm not mistaken. 1984, Lord of the Flies, Chrysallids, Animal Farm, blah dee blah blah...
language differneces, I guess... but hey, you got the names right, so for everyone who didn't uderstand me, I meant those things.
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 17-03-2006, 11:27 PM   #33
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGiantMidgit+Mar 17 2006, 08:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheGiantMidgit @ Mar 17 2006, 08:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-a1s@Mar 17 2006, 12:58 PM
Quote:
A world where billions are killed and strict limits are forced on the survivors freedoms is not a utopia.
true. it's more like what sci-fi writers call anti-utopia, but who'd want to bulid that?
I believe the term is "distopia", if I'm not mistaken. 1984, Lord of the Flies, Chrysallids, Animal Farm, blah dee blah blah... [/b][/quote]
The Chrysalids is not a distopic novel. What it is is a post-apocalyptic novel, a genre that has died a mercifully quiet death, with the end of the Cold War. John Wyndham was rather fond of the post-apocalyptic genre, and even created one with his own ap[ocalypse-- Day of the Triffids, where the world is conquered by mobile plants.

As for the modest proposal (look up the essay by Jonathan Swift "A Modest Proposal"), the biggest flaw is that the 90% of the population culled will be the poorest 90%, as the wealthy are not going to allow a culling to happen, if they are not exempt from it.

It probably is not even necessary, as we are now, per capita, polluting less than we have ever done at any time in the past. The problem is not one of growing enough food, but getting food delivered to everyone who needs it. Also, as people's standard of living goes up, they have fewer children (by this measure, Europe has too much wealth and comfort). If we could bring everyone in the developing world up to the first world standard of living, the population would stabilise. Improved agricultural methods would strengthen the ecosystem, as each improvement in farm productivity takes the marginal land out of production and the bar of what is marginal goes up. I live in a farm region that is slowly reverting back to forests as marginal land becomes not worth cultivating. With enough cheap electricity, food can be grown hydroponically that will send vast tracts of land back to forests, grasslands, swamps, or jungles.

Agriculture in Canada and the US has had such amazing growth in productivity, that we barely notice how much of the best farmland has been paved over by urban expansion.

We cannot prevent species from going extinct. Over 90% of all forms of life that have ever evolved are extinct. What we can do is make room so that ecological niches will find new occupants as things come and go.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 18-03-2006, 03:34 AM   #34
The Good Soldier Švejk
[BANNED]

If the U.N. suckers would say i or someone of my Family should be killed i shoot the guy who wants this (Don't have a luger for nothing :guns: ) and buy as much guns and ammo as i can and storm the U.N building with the rest of the Militant anti-utopia guys and Blow up those idiots who think that utopia stuff is correct......but if i and my family can life, well than they can kill as much people as they like..............yeah i am Egoist.

Well, in fact a im not brutal enougt to do this...i would bouild an house somewere in the forest and hunt, cook, make burgers, produce drinks and so on all on my own.Electricy i need for my PC, Bio-Diesel generator that runs with Food Oil maybe......well thats a life dream anyway!And 1 time in month i sneak into town and buy games spare parts and stuff.Cool.And i multiplay with the rest of the Ex-Militant Anti-Utopia guys .And girls.......... LOL LOL LOL

I dont even have a luger...................
The Good Soldier Švejk is offline                         Send a private message to The Good Soldier Švejk