Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre
Default Virtualization in modern Windows versions

I didn't try VPC on newest (i.e. post-XP) systems, because my brand new Win8.1 doesn't compatible with it, but for XP there was shared folder integration with ealrier Windowses. That's how I played WH40k: Chaos Gate. Just saying.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
I didn't try VPC on newest (i.e. post-XP) systems, because my brand new Win8.1 doesn't compatible with it
See:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
The version of Virtual PC you need depends on your host Windows version.
[list=1][*] Windows 8: Hyper-V[*] Windows 7: Windows Virtual PC.[*] Windows Vista / XP / Server 2003: Microsoft Virtual PC 2007
Old 13-08-2014, 03:47 AM   #3
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Yes, and I am assuming that "Hyper-V" is not exactly "Virtual PC". So a) I cannot check older, VPC installs, because it will not work, and b) I (obviously) didn't check it before, on WinXP too. Just because it was too long ago, so it was different, older versions. Mmm?
Old 13-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

I think it should work. The only important file is the .vhd virtual hard drive, and "Hyper-V" can load it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-v...PC_2004.2F2007

I haven't used it myself yet, though.

Last edited by Japo; 13-08-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 15-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It not supports any Windows older than XP. I tried to setup Win98, as it is only reasonable system to emulate in VM under Win8... and I failed. Considerably. :/ So I abandoned the idea. (I tested VMWare though, and it was _some_ success, but I don't need it so much without graphic acceleration support anyway, so... forget it.)
Old 19-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

Hmmm have you even tried downloading an earlier version of VPC from Microsoft Download and installing it on Win8? You will probably get a message about the OS version being unsupported, which in my past experience was always meaningless.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=24439

or maybe (Win7 special version):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=3702

Last edited by Japo; 19-08-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 19-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I tried both. It wasn't possible to install pre-7 version, but after some tinkering I was able to install and run 7 one. Installing Win98 on it hangs right after initial setup (old .vhd from my previous VMs simply refused to boot at all, BTW). I tried several times. BSOD after installing was the best reward. So I was forced to abandon the idea. :/
Old 20-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
Japo
Autonomous human

Turns out I can't even use Hyper-V, it requires a CPU with special virtualization hardware support. I don't know if all CPUs have this nowadays, but mine from 2009 still runs like a pro without it.

I can't delay any longer setting up a Win3-4 machine, so I'll try first with VMware player, and let you know.

All these problems for trying Win8... I should just revert to Vista, which is the same f***ing OS and can run VPC 2007, which was so nice for retro gaming. Of course Win7 and 8 could run VPC the same, if only they weren't restricted to prevent it for whatever reasons.

Thank you Microsoft for enhancing your virtualization offer.

Last edited by Japo; 20-08-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 21-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, I am on Intel processor, so no problems with Hyper-V.

Not counting the fact that it _not_ supports any MS Windows before XP. Officially. Huh.

Well, as DOS/Win3 totally supported by DOSBox nowadays, my only problem is accelerated Win95/98. So I'll be grateful knowing about any solution of this matter (VMWare or Virtual Box - I cannot remember which - supports acceleration for XP... but it's too modern for me. Such games usually works even on Win8 anyway.
Old 21-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
I should just revert to Vista, which is the same f***ing OS and can run VPC 2007, which was so nice for retro gaming. Of course Win7 and 8 could run VPC the same, if only they weren't restricted to prevent it for whatever reasons.
I use VPC 2007 on Windows 7 and don't remember having any problems installing/using it.

EDIT: You can't install VPC 2007 if you already have Windows Virtual PC installed.

Last edited by zirkoni; 21-08-2014 at 07:40 AM. Reason: ...
zirkoni is offline                         Send a private message to zirkoni