Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
Oskatat
Game freak

i just want to say... america is not like china with higher wages (marginally) at all
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 12-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Avaaz has an internet petition for this ( i signed it )

but i cant find a link for it now...

But to my knowledge even Obama is against the censorship of the internet but congress is trying to put it through anyways. But i think over 200,000 people already signed the petition

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubb View Post
But to my knowledge even Obama is against the censorship of the internet but congress is trying to put it through anyways. But i think over 200,000 people already signed the petition
Ah phew what a relief. Then Obama has only to veto it. ¬¬

I'm sceptic they'll be able to pass this right now, so probably it won't even reach the President, but no wonder they'll keep trying to sneak this kind of thing until they succeed.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #14
Scatty
Treasure hunter

They withdrew with their efforts for now, the petition(s) was / were succesful this time. I've received an informing e-mail about that since I signed a petition on the link back on the first page. But don't hold your breath, this issue will turn up again.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 13-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #15
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

This is one of the many things I hate about politicians, they think they know whats good for us and yet know so little about how we live. What annoys me more though are the people who simply say, "Oh well the goverment said its good, so I like it."

Don't get me wrong I agree with a lot of things my goverment does/did but not because they said it was a good, beacuse I looked into it and thought yes that is a good idea.

I think most democracies around the world need a good shake up, culling of the dead wood as such. Just to remind them who is really in power.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 13-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #16
Scatty
Treasure hunter

There won't be any change as long as it all stays with just words, though. And even if there're protests, just look what usually happens - police chokes all down, people get hurt by water jets (read an article about an old man losing his both eyes by that, and he even wasn't directly involved), and there's still not much change.
As long as all is calm enough everybody is happy. Well, politicians are, anyway.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 14-10-2010, 02:38 AM   #17
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I can actually think of some rather peacefull ways of throwing the spanner in the works with the system we have in my country, but they would all require the majority of Aussies to agree on the same thing (never going to happen). Hopefully we can avoid anything like this blacklist, or censorship of the internet. Whenever I hear parents talking about the horrible sites their kids get onto, I always just think....watch them, stop them from going to such sites. It's not the goverments job to nanny us, and to stop us making mistakes, even if some people think it is.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 14-10-2010, 06:49 AM   #18
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It's not like there's no programs like NetNanny (or dozens of others performing the same function), it's just that those parents who complain either never heard of them, never tried looking for them, or just are too lazy to set them up.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #19
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I fully agree Fifth, in todays day and age parents should be aware of the tech that is around them, how to use it and what they can do it protect their children. I am glad to know that as my kid grows up I will be there with him and he plays games, browses the internet and gets up to mischief.
Old 14-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #20
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
It's not like there's no programs like NetNanny (or dozens of others performing the same function)
like for example Windows Vista and higher, that have parental control built-in.

The problem, as Darth says, is that too many people like the government to treat them as their children, and the rest of us can't opt out of it.

The motivation of many politicians isn't even malicious (in some cases it is, of course), but they naturally tend towards convincing themselves and everyone else that their work is necessary. And every time you give them something else to do with you, lawmakers have nothing else to do but thinking about the next thing.