Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #17
Charmed
Forum hobbit

I would have to say Fallout 3, by the original developers. I still consider the fallout series to be the best CRPG out there. The over-the-top violence just added to the enjoyment -- that and outhouses exploding :P

Speaking of all these cancelled games and developers going under, I cannot understand how it is that almost every single developer I have admired have all gone defunct. Black Isle, Looking Glass Studios, Troika, Blizzard North ... the list goes on.

I just recently finished Thief 1 and oh what a great game.

Could someone please explain to me how a developer like LGS can make such great games as Thief & System Shock and die, yet a company like id (great engines always) makes the same game, just with a new engine, but no gameplay that draws you into the story (do id games actually have stories?), no interesting story twists, just basically linear & repetitive gameplay and never seems to die off?

I look at almost all of the developers I have mentioned and a few I cannot remember at this moment and something stands out above all other developers. For these developers it would seem creating games is an art, not a business. They didn't create their masterpieces for the sole purpose of funds, it was to leave a lasting impression on the gamer.

At least we can always count on them breaking away to form new companies, but I am sadly forgetting who is who anymore with developers jumping ships so many times due to the publishers.

Anyone know where the Black Isle, Troika, LGS guys went to?
Charmed is offline                         Send a private message to Charmed